IGNORED

The Switch Thread

I swear the more and more you read this thread and a few other places, you almost start getting those old tinglies you did in the 90s when Nintendo got so much of the good stuff, you could always be kept busy and happy with your system ownership.  It has been a long time coming, outside of some brief moments like for a few years on Gamecube. 😄

• Like 2

15 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Wow I just recently bought Raiden IV from Asia and it hasn’t even arrived yet. 

Update: I reached out to Play-Asia and got my pre-order cancelled. Even though the pre-order was for a Japanese exclusive limited edition bundled with two soundtracks, I figure I'd rather pick up the U.S. release, and now that this isn't a regional exclusive, I probably don't need to rush to pick it up either. 

Editorials Team · Posted
15 minutes ago, Estil said:

So apparently there's speculation that Nintendo is getting ready to announce a Switch Pro of some sort...but all I've heard is possible improvements to the portable screen....any upgrades for the home console part (so to speak)?

4K support, allegedly

7 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Anyone have any switch games that I can play passively? Like, a game that doesn't require constant attention while being played 

I recently played The Last Campfire - pretty much just exploration and puzzle solving so you can just play at a sedate pace.

the two Mushroom Quests are fairly simple Sokoban style games that are not demanding in any way.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Thanks 1

I finally after sitting on it for a few months opened up FF9 for Switch and put the card in to play.  It has been 20 years and I've forgotten much of everything, just get flashbacks of bits of scenes being familiar.  But when it comes to some of the annoying little tidbits of find this, or you have you do that or a scene won't trigger held me up a bit.  Probably under 2hrs on it, but have it saved at the crash site to go look for Garnet.

I do like the updates so far, dont' think I'll take on the 3 irreversible cheats though, even if they are tempting.  I like the tiggered outside of battle bit where you can hit minus, then use the 4 LR top buttons to pick a temporary boost.  I might use those, would be nice not having to waste hours to get some cash or, so it moves faster, or 9999 hits possible, dunno.  I just remember it being the one truly really fun and great FF game from the Sony pool.

10 hours ago, Estil said:

@Tanooki , since when did Final Fantasy 9 get on the Switch??

What Miami there said...but I did it on ebay not that long ago.  Someone was selling it for like $40-45 shipped and I had it in like 3 days.  Back then play asia wanted like 50 for it, kind of a no brainer.

Editorials Team · Posted
10 hours ago, Estil said:

@Tanooki , since when did Final Fantasy 9 get on the Switch??

Final Fantasy VII + VIII and World of Final Fantasy (and maybe some Chocobo games) also got physical releases.

And Romancing Saga 3.  And I'm sure Saga Frontier and Legend of Mana will too.

8 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Apparently the PS4 got a download-only release as well.  I did go on record as saying it's by far my favorite of the PS1 "trilogy" (even if it's seemingly the one that got the least amount of hype/attention) and it would be cool dudeish (as my wife likes to say) to have a good excuse to relive the experience *cough*trophies*cough* but I'm not so sure about paying good money (it's apparently on a half off sale but even for $10.50 I'm not so sure about...) for a "fake" game...not to mention there's a bunch of "missable" trophies that you must be very careful not to miss, with one (seeing all 79 of the ATE's)I think being just as if not more aggravating and as easy to mess up as the 100% completion one in FF10-2...and it's only a silver!!!

Are the graphics any better/"cleaner" looking at least?

Edited by Estil

Screw it, I'll get the whole "trilogy"...all three are half off ($10/each)...I don't suppose there's any discount/promo codes I'm overlooking is there?

PS: I'm skipping that super gimmicky gold Excalibur II trophy in FF9 as you have to super speed run through the game in <12 hours to its location...speedruns are for games like Sonic or Metroid or something.  RPG/quest games are supposed to be all about exploration and patience.

Edited by Estil

12 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Final Fantasy VII + VIII and World of Final Fantasy (and maybe some Chocobo games) also got physical releases.

And Romancing Saga 3.  And I'm sure Saga Frontier and Legend of Mana will too.

Good point.  I forgot about Chocobo though, pretty sure that wasn't a domestic card release or WoFF either.  Maxima I think got one too in the asia region in english.  I find because SE is so stupid and stingy in the US I just have to grab what they make using either yes-asia (tend to be better priced and they give free shipping over $39) or ebay if needed.

6 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Luigi's mansion, Mario Maker and Mario Party are all on sale for $39 front Best Buy, Amazon and Walmart. 

The only one I don't have is Luigi's Mansion and it's not something I even want to spend $40 on

I've heard it's actually great, but if it's not your cup of tea, you'll probably be able to get a used copy for cheaper at some point. I'd be surprised if a sealed copy ever goes for cheaper than that though. I don't think we'll ever get the Wii U fire sales for the Switch.

• Like 1

I can't pull the trigger on $40 either for it, wouldn't even pay half that for party. 😄  The thing is, after having really been let down and disliked the broken-ish designs of #2, and then not liking the tweaks to the original on 3DS, I just don't have the trust in wasting $40 let alone $60 on #3.

Mario Maker is an interesting one, put a little time on the 3DS game, and even not using the online mechanic there's some quality stage designs going on there.

Social Team · Posted
On 3/5/2021 at 8:11 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:

Anyone have any switch games that I can play passively? Like, a game that doesn't require constant attention while being played 

Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle, some mention this being fun in short intervals and is turn based so should be easy to play on the side.  Sales for $15 all the time too.

• Like 2