IGNORED

The Switch Thread

3 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

Impressive! What kind of shelf are you using there? I'm assuming the red shelves are custom painted, but is it a pre-fab unit?

These metal shelves show up on craigslist occasionally - I think they are from the 70s or 80s.  I did paint it (It was beige before). I have two more - one exactly the same and another that is a couple shelves shorter, but only 6" deep.  I'll probably switch to that when when I fill up the smaller shelf.  Just need to paint it.  That's the thing about collecting for a system that is still releasing games - no idea what the final number will be lol 

On 11/27/2020 at 9:21 PM, MiamiSlice said:

Looks like Go Vacation is a hot collector's item now. Such a lackluster port of a mediocre game.

I take back what I said here. Right after trashing this game I found a copy on FB Marketplace for $15 (+ shipping and tax) and I decided to give it an honest go. I have it on Wii and thought it was a really nice game but I played it with my kids and I guess because they got really frustrated with some of the controls it kind of ruined it for me. Playing it solo I was able to really enjoy it and it's great. Also the graphics are improved on Switch and I think some of the minigames are too. 

8 hours ago, 11strings said:

Not quite.

I'm super curious about your collection. Do you preorder/get games on release or pick them up later? Do you have everything currently released? Would you be willing to help out on occasion with info on the games? I keep a spreadsheet of the games released physically and sometimes can't get some info for games (game code, barcode) because all the listing I find are stock photos and don't show the back of the game.

27 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

I'm super curious about your collection. Do you preorder/get games on release or pick them up later? Do you have everything currently released? Would you be willing to help out on occasion with info on the games? I keep a spreadsheet of the games released physically and sometimes can't get some info for games (game code, barcode) because all the listing I find are stock photos and don't show the back of the game.

When I had GCU, I would wait until a sale and use GCU (20% off) + whatever the sale discount.  Then when my GCU was running out, I pretty much preordered everything they had listed to keep the 20% off going.  Still have a few games left from that coming, but I generally wait for sales.  For Licenses, Sports, and shovelware in general - I wait until they go under $20.  Games I think that might be hard to get later, I tend to grab first when marginally discounted. The Nintendo games I buy on release because my kid loves them and they usually take a couple of years to go on sale beyond maybe $10 off.  I tend to buy from Best Buy as they will price match, and the rewards (250 points is a $5 off coupon) stack up. The limited games are the only ones I pay full price for and I usually bundle them (the cost for shipping 4 standards from Limited Run is the same as buying 1 and you get upgraded to a box for free - the wait is just longer).

I was caught up this summer, but they went crazy with releases over the last couple of months (I think 43 in November alone) so I'll be waiting for more stuff to jump under $20.  The oldest release I'm missing is from September so I've got plenty of time. I'm behind 28 games at the moment - again, all recently released and easy to get.

As for help, If I have the game, I'm happy to help with whatever you need. I maintain my own list which I update as the games release. I think the only important information is the 2 codes on the cart itself. Covers can be misleading as the code on the cover can change, but the exact same cart would be in the case (examples: Trine Ultimate vs. Trine 4, Attack on Titan 2 vs. Attack on Titan 2 Final Battle) - the 2nd code printed on the back of the cart that gets updated with reprints.  For example, whenever Nintendo reprints one of their games they'll put the latest version on the new carts, so if you bought Breath of the Wild today, it will certainly be a newer version than what released at launch. I personally don't care about that kind of thing, but some people do. I also don't care or keep track of variants, CEs, Code-in-a-Box (no actual cart) and rereleases of the same game.  I don't want 5 versions of Dead Cells or Gear.Club Unlimted if all that is different is a extra printed code in the case or an updated cart

Deku Deals is also a great resource for finding the lowest price at retail for Switch games and checking if a game is starting to get pulled from shelves. You can create a wanted list there and watch the prices go down.  There is also a Switch Collectors group on Discord, that has tons of collectors (many with more games than me) - and they are all on the ball at up to the minute with new releases, variant and CE discussions, and cheap sales. 

I've attached a screenshot of my personal list.

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 8.07.48 AM.png

• Like 2
  • Wow! 2

Some of the Games released sine the last time I posted.

Korg Gadget   (12/04/2020)
Pretty Princess Party   (12/03/2020)
Immortal Fenyx Rising HAC-P-AU84A (12/03/2020)
Commandos 2: HD Remaster   (12/04/2020)
John Wick Hex   (12/04/2020)
Fitness Boxing 2: Rhythm and Exercise HAC-P-AXSFB-USA (12/04/2020)
Peaky Blinders: Mastermind HAC-P-ASL9A (12/04/2020)

6 hours ago, 11strings said:

When I had GCU, I would wait until a sale and use GCU (20% off) + whatever the sale discount.  Then when my GCU was running out, I pretty much preordered everything they had listed to keep the 20% off going.  Still have a few games left from that coming, but I generally wait for sales.  For Licenses, Sports, and shovelware in general - I wait until they go under $20.  Games I think that might be hard to get later, I tend to grab first when marginally discounted. The Nintendo games I buy on release because my kid loves them and they usually take a couple of years to go on sale beyond maybe $10 off.  I tend to buy from Best Buy as they will price match, and the rewards (250 points is a $5 off coupon) stack up. The limited games are the only ones I pay full price for and I usually bundle them (the cost for shipping 4 standards from Limited Run is the same as buying 1 and you get upgraded to a box for free - the wait is just longer).

I was caught up this summer, but they went crazy with releases over the last couple of months (I think 43 in November alone) so I'll be waiting for more stuff to jump under $20.  The oldest release I'm missing is from September so I've got plenty of time. I'm behind 28 games at the moment - again, all recently released and easy to get.

As for help, If I have the game, I'm happy to help with whatever you need. I maintain my own list which I update as the games release. I think the only important information is the 2 codes on the cart itself. Covers can be misleading as the code on the cover can change, but the exact same cart would be in the case (examples: Trine Ultimate vs. Trine 4, Attack on Titan 2 vs. Attack on Titan 2 Final Battle) - the 2nd code printed on the back of the cart that gets updated with reprints.  For example, whenever Nintendo reprints one of their games they'll put the latest version on the new carts, so if you bought Breath of the Wild today, it will certainly be a newer version than what released at launch. I personally don't care about that kind of thing, but some people do. I also don't care or keep track of variants, CEs, Code-in-a-Box (no actual cart) and rereleases of the same game.  I don't want 5 versions of Dead Cells or Gear.Club Unlimted if all that is different is a extra printed code in the case or an updated cart

Deku Deals is also a great resource for finding the lowest price at retail for Switch games and checking if a game is starting to get pulled from shelves. You can create a wanted list there and watch the prices go down.  There is also a Switch Collectors group on Discord, that has tons of collectors (many with more games than me) - and they are all on the ball at up to the minute with new releases, variant and CE discussions, and cheap sales. 

I've attached a screenshot of my personal list.

Screen Shot 2020-12-06 at 8.07.48 AM.png

Thanks for the info, funny enough the only things I have track of are the codes on the boxes and the barcodes. The barcodes are useful for plugging into brickseek to find discounts. Is your list a google doc? Any chance you could share the view link? I'd like to add the cart codes to my list.

Also if you happen to have any of the these games, I would really appreciate if you could take a picture of the barcode area or just make a list of the box code and barcode, whichever is easier. That would be a ton of help. Thanks

Carrion

Chicken Range

Chronos: Before the Ashes

Fantasy Friends

Instant Chef Party

Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition

My Universe: Cooking Star Restaurant

My Universe: Fashion Boutique

My Universe: School Teacher

Nintendo Labo: Toy Con 04 VR Kit (The BIG kit)

Persistence; The

Professor Rubrik's Brain Fitness

Ruiner

Sniper Elite 4

Tin and Kuna

Tropico 6: Nintendo Switch Edition

Truck Driver

What the Golf?

Who Wants to be a Millionaire?

Edited by LeatherRebel5150

48 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Thanks for the info, funny enough the only things I have track of are the codes on the boxes and the barcodes. The barcodes are useful for plugging into brickseek to find discounts. Is your list a google doc? Any chance you could share the view link? I'd like to add the cart codes to my list.

Also if you happen to have any of the these games, I would really appreciate if you could take a picture of the barcode area or just make a list of the box code and barcode, whichever is easier. That would be a ton of help. Thanks

The list is the mac version of excel (numbers), so no google doc.  I can probably copy and paste them - does this site have PM?

Most of those games came out last month - many of them didn't go on sale. 

Carrion - just started shipping

Chicken Range - see below

Chronos: Before the Ashes - no sale yet

Fantasy Friends - no sale yet

Instant Chef Party - no sale yet

Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition - not out yet

My Universe: Cooking Star Restaurant - see below

My Universe: Fashion Boutique - couldn't get bb chat to pricematch 

My Universe: School Teacher - see below

Nintendo Labo: Toy Con 04 VR Kit (The BIG kit) - I have the small kit

Persistence; The - no sale yet

Professor Rubrik's Brain Fitness - no sale yet

Ruiner - not out yet

Sniper Elite 4 - no sale yet

Tin and Kuna - see below

Tropico 6: Nintendo Switch Edition - no sale yet

Truck Driver - no sale yet

What the Golf? - not out yet

Who Wants to be a Millionaire? - see below

image0.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image2.jpeg

On 12/6/2020 at 11:16 AM, 11strings said:

I don't mean any offense by this at all, but I don't quite get the appeal of doing something like this with a current console. The majority of these games will be in thrift stores and yard sales in just a few years, so do you just do this because you're worried some of them will be unattainable later or something? 

2 hours ago, cma2032 said:

I don't mean any offense by this at all, but I don't quite get the appeal of doing something like this with a current console. The majority of these games will be in thrift stores and yard sales in just a few years, so do you just do this because you're worried some of them will be unattainable later or something? 

I have to disagree with the majority of them. The switch physical prints (not including 1st party) are not printed in the numbers of previous generations because of the digital push. Plenty games have gone out of print and still on the eshop. Throw in the limited print companies and it’s going to be a tougher system of the physical collecting bug is still going. There are already 700+ ESRB releases and if you included PAL & JPN with English you are over 1,000. No region lock and the “possibility” your near the end of physical games being printed it won’t be an easy system for a full set person. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

I have to disagree with the majority of them. The switch physical prints (not including 1st party) are not printed in the numbers of previous generations because of the digital push. Plenty games have gone out of print and still on the eshop. Throw in the limited print companies and it’s going to be a tougher system of the physical collecting bug is still going. There are already 700+ ESRB releases and if you included PAL & JPN with English you are over 1,000. No region lock and the “possibility” your near the end of physical games being printed it won’t be an easy system for a full set person. 

Was going to say this. There are games that came out 2 years ago that are already hard to find. Will they be easier to find when normies start dumping their Switch libraries on Facebook Marketplace in a couple years? Yes. But not easy in the way Wii games are.

• Like 4

Yeah, I agree with the above - this generation is a lot different than previous generations as the minimum order quantity is small, at least for Playstation 4 (1k) and Switch (5k).  Xbox is still pretty high with 50k minimum.

Also, I know a big part of collecting is the "thrill of the hunt" - believe me, I've done that with arcade games for 25+ years - being able to just buy a nice, new game and be done with it is far more fun than searching for it years later. Rather spend that time playing with my kids.

6 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

But not easy in the way Wii games are.

I'll tell ya what. For as mass produced Wii games were, I've only came across 1 Fire Emblem in all my days of yard sale, flea market, cheap CL & FB lots. For as huge of print runs some games got on Wii, others barely left the shelves.

I'm sure the Switch will be similar in that any game that wasn't popular is going to be difficult to find and probably just won't be a game to find in the wild.

8 hours ago, Mr. CIB said:

2 hours ago, 11strings said:

Yeah, I agree with the above - this generation is a lot different than previous generations as the minimum order quantity is small, at least for Playstation 4 (1k) and Switch (5k).  Xbox is still pretty high with 50k minimum.

Also, I know a big part of collecting is the "thrill of the hunt" - believe me, I've done that with arcade games for 25+ years - being able to just buy a nice, new game and be done with it is far more fun than searching for it years later. Rather spend that time playing with my kids.

8 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Was going to say this. There are games that came out 2 years ago that are already hard to find. Will they be easier to find when normies start dumping their Switch libraries on Facebook Marketplace in a couple years? Yes. But not easy in the way Wii games are.

Very accurate. I'm not passing judgment on the many Switch set collectors here, but I have shied away from the Switch and PS4 for this exact reason. If I eventually decide to collect for them down the road, it would be explicitly without all the limited releases. It's fun when there are a few rare games to track down, but chasing 100 games with a print run of less than 5,000 sounds like a lesson in frustration. Could I buy them as they're released? Yes, but I can't justify doing that and literally never playing them. I may not play my NES games regularly, but I can honestly say that I've played all 676 of them.

That being said, everything prior to the Switch/PS4 generation is fair game and I will definitely not play them all. 😁

Edited by DoctorEncore

Best Buy has a bunch of stuff on sale now including Immortals Fenyx Rising already being $20 off (the Ubisoft meme continues). I'm not buying that though, I can wait another year to pick up a game like this if at all. 

I ordered Hidden Objects Collection ($19.99) and the Katamari Damacy Reroll New Game Plush bundle ($29.99). Am planning to sell the code for Katamari Damacy Reroll since I already have the physical, I just really want the plush.

10 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Best Buy has a bunch of stuff on sale now including Immortals Fenyx Rising already being $20 off (the Ubisoft meme continues). I'm not buying that though, I can wait another year to pick up a game like this if at all. 

I ordered Hidden Objects Collection ($19.99) and the Katamari Damacy Reroll New Game Plush bundle ($29.99). Am planning to sell the code for Katamari Damacy Reroll since I already have the physical, I just really want the plush.

New Game Plush Bundle now ranks as the best-named special edition ever.

Editorials Team · Posted
3 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

You'll buy all that DS shovelware, but not Immortals?😁

...I kid.  I own every SNES sports game after all 😄