IGNORED

The Switch Thread

7 hours ago, phart010 said:

Seriously is anyone doing full set for Switch?

Raises 🤚 hand. 

7 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Some guys were early on.  Probably imagined another Wii U pace.

I'm sure they long since threw in the towel.

I never throw in the towel, though Ive long since been unable to keep buying games upon release. It works out better that way it's pretty easy to see which games should be picked up early and which can be left for price cuts. Occasionally theres one out of left field but not many.

6 hours ago, phart010 said:

It’s going to be a real tough one with all the limited print releases. There’s also some tough 1st print variants too. Also the collectors editions, if needed for complete set, are going to make it real nasty to collect for.

If you consider the PAL exclusives, there’s some low print games. Some games don’t have any rating, so they appear that they could fit into either PAL or NTSC-USA. Some games have both a PAL and NTSC-USA release but the cart is identical for both regions, just different cover art. There’s going to be some debate about what qualifies as part of complete set.

Yea no. Fullsets have never been about having every variant and edition. Its just about having one of each game regardless of variation. Sure some prefer to have first prints or non greatest hits etc but having them all has never been a condition to that style of collecting. Also Its always region based. I only care about North American releases, mot interested in Europe, Asia, etc.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Shmup said:

Also seen a few mention they're going for it on Reddit and they had quite the collection (although I can't confirm it was 100% complete or if they're still going with it).

I have a feeling that most will just go for a region set like ESRB set or PAL regions set. Personally I think that limits you because the US has missed out on some great games released in Europe & Japan.

I'm going for the whatever is a great game set and I don't care where it comes from haha. A full set would be quite the achievement though and would have to include all regions imo because there is no region lock.

Personally it is like anything other console and the set is of a given region. Having no region lock doesn't really change that. Theres always some limits to what constitutes a set and region is the first major cutoff/designation. I dont think the DS was region locked and that never changed that there are regional sets

4 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Personally it is like anything other console and the set is of a given region. Having no region lock doesn't really change that. Theres always some limits to what constitutes a set and region is the first major cutoff/designation. I dont think the DS was region locked and that never changed that there are regional sets

The only Nintendo handheld console libraries that were region locked were DSi and 3DS. 

Game Boy through Advance, DS and now Switch are all region-free. 

• Like 1

Here’s my English version of Gigantic Army. It is serial numbered on the back 0445/1500. The front does not have a rating (no ESRB, no PEGI, no CERO).image.thumb.jpg.e3b5b81459ded74a877b138282b4330e.jpg

I know that the minimum print limit In Europe is 3000, so where are the other 1500 copies? I believe they just put them in international version packaging and sent them for sale at PlayAsia.
image.thumb.jpg.aaf6328654eaedb59dafc03757a2450b.jpgEven though they are international versions, since they were manufactured at the order of a European publisher, the international cartridges probably still have the European codes.

I wonder if there were any or will be any European prints that are also labeled for sale in the North American market?

Edited by phart010

I guess the question I’m asking is: what makes a game part of a regional set? Is the the presence of a rating like ESRB? Is it the region code? Or is it the language used on the box art?

I could confirm this but I don’t want to break the seal on my international version. But I’m guessing there are “Japan/international versions” of Gigantic army that actually bear a European region code on the cartridge. But the language on the back of the box is Japanese, if I were Japanese I’d probably want this in my set..

Also games like Shmup collection. They were published by Pixelheart and apparently there’s 5000 copies. I don’t know if that means 5000 European and 5000 US or just 5000 all together. But they made an ESRB rated version of Shmup collection distributed through VGNYSOFT. Pixelheart is an EU based published though... I’m curious to know which region code is on the cartridge.

Edited by phart010

@phart010 it's funny you mention Gigantic Army because we had a thread about this: 

The carts were repackaged for different distributors, one set has to bear the PEGI logo, the others do not. All the carts are -EUR. I think in the future this will be viewed as 3 variants of one release, and inclusion in regional sets may be based on where these were distributed (so yeah an EUR cart will be considered part of a NA release set or Asia release set...) I really torched the point I made before... 

For collectors and in the past the region is usually based on the ratings code because ratings codes dictated where a game could be sold, and we were all collecting standard retail games. There have been very few exceptions to this rule before the rise of boutique publishers. 

Now you have publishers and distributors repackaging carts for different regions and it makes things very weird. Another example are the Middle East U.A.E. 3DS games which have US ESRB carts and ESRB ratings on the cover but the cover art has the extra U.A.E. version designation for sale in Middle East only. The cart is identical to a North American release, could you count it in a North American set? I don't think this argument has come up but yeah. 

Edited by MiamiSlice

14 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

@phart010 it's funny you mention Gigantic Army because we had a thread about this: 

The carts were repackaged for different distributors, one set has to bear the PEGI logo, the others do not. All the carts are -EUR. I think in the future this will be viewed as 3 variants of one release, and inclusion in regional sets may be based on where these were distributed (so yeah an EUR cart will be considered part of a NA release set or Asia release set...) I really torched the point I made before... 

For collectors and in the past the region is usually based on the ratings code because ratings codes dictated where a game could be sold, and we were all collecting standard retail games. There have been very few exceptions to this rule before the rise of boutique publishers. 

Now you have publishers and distributors repackaging carts for different regions and it makes things very weird. Another example are the Middle East U.A.E. 3DS games which have US ESRB carts and ESRB ratings on the cover but the cover art has the extra U.A.E. version designation for sale in Middle East only. The cart is identical to a North American release, could you count it in a North American set? I don't think this argument has come up but yeah. 

I think one of the newer dynamics that comes into play is the fact that games get software updates and the system can be programmed to recognize which language setting you prefer. In the past, all the games content, including which language is used in game was on the cartridge. Nowadays you can get any version of a game and the system either tells the game which language to display or you can toggle language in game settings. And additional languages can be pushed through software updates.

So the cartridge region doesn’t really matter anymore nowadays, it’s all about the packaging.

8 hours ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Yeah exactly, for a full DS set you would also need all regions. Otherwise you just have a ESRB set.

I personally never go for sets because it creates limitations. I’d hate to just get US games for the Switch when there are so many great games in other regions.

21 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

The carts were repackaged for different distributors, one set has to bear the PEGI logo, the others do not. All the carts are -EUR. I think in the future this will be viewed as 3 variants of one release, and inclusion in regional sets may be based on where these were distributed (so yeah an EUR cart will be considered part of a NA release set or Asia release set...)

If this is true, then NA full set, cart only collectors will be banging their heads on the table looking for the -USA cart of Gigantic Army 😂😂😂

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, phart010 said:

I think one of the newer dynamics that comes into play is the fact that games get software updates and the system can be programmed to recognize which language setting you prefer. In the past, all the games content, including which language is used in game was on the cartridge. Nowadays you can get any version of a game and the system either tells the game which language to display or you can toggle language in game settings. And additional languages can be pushed through software updates.

So the cartridge region doesn’t really matter anymore nowadays, it’s all about the packaging.

One exception to this is whether the translations are in the cart data or if they come from a day one DLC. Some carts, especially in Japan, really don't come with English at all. Some will come with Japanese and English but no other languages. Asia releases might have Japanese, English and Chinese while Euro releases might have some supported European languages. Like Ace Angler doesn't have English language support on the cart, that came with a day 1 DLC. Some collectors make a big deal about getting games that have as much data on the cart as possible. I remember when I posted on r/NSCollectors about Ace Angler having an English cover for Asia, there were multiple people asking if it would have English on the cart. In the end it didn't and they felt no need to buy it just to have English cover art. 

1 hour ago, Shmup said:

Yeah exactly, for a full DS set you would also need all regions. Otherwise you just have a ESRB set.

I personally never go for sets because it creates limitations. I’d hate to just get US games for the Switch when there are so many great games in other regions.

Well thats where you and me differ, the definition of full set, and I said in the thread about this topic. Whic to me when talking about a fullset its about a specific region not eveything ever released for a platform

1 hour ago, MiamiSlice said:

Forgot I made that thread. I ended up putting my copy of Gigantic Army in the random box I was apart of. Earlier this year. VGNY has gone on to release ESRB games though Im guessing, but not certain, they caught some flack for not mentioning it on that game because they put whether its ESRB rated or not in evey game description since

1 hour ago, phart010 said:

Also games like Shmup collection. They were published by Pixelheart and apparently there’s 5000 copies. I don’t know if that means 5000 European and 5000 US or just 5000 all together. But they made an ESRB rated version of Shmup collection distributed through VGNYSOFT. Pixelheart is an EU based published though... I’m curious to know which region code is on the cartridge.

I have it at home, I'll check whats on the cart itself tonight 

3 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Well thats where you and me differ, the definition of full set, and I said in the thread about this topic. Whic to me when talking about a fullset its about a specific region not eveything ever released for a platform

Yeah we’ll have to agree to disagree I think.

I still think it is better to specify that it is a ESRB or US set over a “full set” because there are more collectors outside of the US then inside it. The ESRB is not the full set to the majority of the world.

1 minute ago, Shmup said:

Yeah we’ll have to agree to disagree I think.

I still think it is better to specify that it is a ESRB or US set over a “full set” because there are more collectors outside of the US then inside it. The ESRB is not the full set to the majority of the world.

Correct, because in their parts of the world their fullset would be their region. We might be saying the same thing on that point

2 minutes ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

Correct, because in their parts of the world their fullset would be their region. We might be saying the same thing on that point

Haha yes I think we are agreeing in a round about way.

I just prefer that when people talk about sets they specify the region. Like ESRB full set or PAL full set. Then a Switch full set would include everything. Maybe that’s just me though.

On 12/4/2020 at 1:54 PM, phart010 said:

I guess the question I’m asking is: what makes a game part of a regional set? Is the the presence of a rating like ESRB? Is it the region code? Or is it the language used on the box art?

I could confirm this but I don’t want to break the seal on my international version. But I’m guessing there are “Japan/international versions” of Gigantic army that actually bear a European region code on the cartridge. But the language on the back of the box is Japanese, if I were Japanese I’d probably want this in my set..

Forgot about it last night. But it is a USA cart

IMG_4577.JPG

8 minutes ago, Shmup said:

Wow nice work! There’s something so nice about the red switch spines all lined up. What’s your favourite game so far?

I like a lot of the indie games (Gunlord X, The Messenger, Slay the Spire, Blasphemous, Blazing Chrome, etc.), shmups (Esp.Ra.De, Danmaku Unlimited, Darius), RPGS (Ys VIII, DragonQuest, etc.) and my 8yo loves all the Nintendo stuff (he's currently engrossed in Pikmin) 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, 11strings said:

I like a lot of the indie games (Gunlord X, The Messenger, Slay the Spire, Blasphemous, Blazing Chrome, etc.), shmups (Esp.Ra.De, Danmaku Unlimited, Darius), RPGS (Ys VIII, DragonQuest, etc.) and my 8yo loves all the Nintendo stuff (he's currently engrossed in Pikmin) 

It really is a great library and so fun to collect for. Sure, a lot of games are on other consoles or PC but I think the hybrid nature makes it the best option for most games imo.

I agree. The shovelware ratio is pretty low considering the amount of games, but I do wish some of the more demanding games (for example Outerworlds) would just stay on the PS4s/Xboxes etc.

I think the Switch really shines with games like Enter the Gungeon and Dead Cells, along with the Nintendo releases. Carrion is another one I had a lot of fun with recently.

12 minutes ago, 11strings said:

I agree. The shovelware ratio is pretty low considering the amount of games, but I do wish some of the more demanding games (for example Outerworlds) would just stay on the PS4s/Xboxes etc.

I think the Switch really shines with games like Enter the Gungeon and Dead Cells, along with the Nintendo releases. Carrion is another one I had a lot of fun with recently.

Awesome collection! It must be fun to keep up with whats being released. You are right about low shovelware for ESRB but woof Europe is loaded with them.

• Like 1

The only games I don’t like to buy on Switch are the ones that work much better on PC (point n clicks or certain FPS’s) or games where the graphics are really downgraded for Switch (WRC8). Otherwise I pretty much prefer Switch as the platform for it’s portability option.

Edited by MiamiSlice