IGNORED

The Switch Thread

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Quest4Nes said:

lol wonderful 101. YAY ANOTHER PORT

The amount of effort to make this wii u game port over they probably could have just made wonderful 102

Switch is gonna finish with the largest (real) library in Nintendo's US history.  Plenty of stuff to go around.

On 2/10/2020 at 6:35 PM, Tanooki said:

I think part of the idea here is to right a big wrong, that wrong being ever releasing something on the WiiU.  Nothing erases the memory of that stain better than touching up/re-releasing the few good games that system got that were sadly unjustly cut short on true profit and consumer value being stuck to that dumpster fire.  It makes a lot of sense to take those for most lost games and give them a proper release with a proper chance to make solid money and name recognition off of.  As long as it's not done the harm of new stuff coming out, it's a win.

I probably wouldn't have worded this quite the same, but I mostly agree with the point. I say release all the good Wii U stuff on Switch so people actually have a chance to play it.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Mae247 said:

Does anyone have a lead on the Japanese physical release of Phoenix Wright? I know it has options for English. I know here in the us we only got a digital version though.

Its on Play Asia still. I also see several copies on Ebay for around the same price total after shipping. Probably get it faster through Ebay, honestly.

12 minutes ago, Quaze said:

I probably wouldn't have worded this quite the same, but I mostly agree with the point. I say release all the good Wii U stuff on Switch so people actually have a chance to play it.

I think that's what they're aiming to do, yeah. Port all the "good" stuff from a low install base platform to a high install base so more people can buy it.

That said, as to Tanooki's wording - I'm personally of the mindset that given the small Wii U library, it has a really high ratio of good games, personally. And one side-effect of these ports is that it seems to make the Wii U versions less desirable so I've picked up cheap copies of Tokyo Mirage Sessions, NSMBU/NSLU, Mario Kart 8, and so on when people have been upgrading to Switch ports.

I've said this before, but while the Wii U was certainly a failure as a Nintendo console, the quality of the library of games was still amazing and the fact that so many of them have been ported to the Switch really supports that notion.  It's weird to think that in the not too distant future, the Wii U will be a truly obsolete console.  

6 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I've said this before, but while the Wii U was certainly a failure as a Nintendo console, the quality of the library of games was still amazing and the fact that so many of them have been ported to the Switch really supports that notion.  It's weird to think that in the not too distant future, the Wii U will be a truly obsolete console.  

I dread the day that they shut down the eShop on Wii U. The Virtual Console there makes it a beast of a machine.

5 minutes ago, Aguy said:

It might not be a popular opinion, but say bring all the good Wii U games to the Switch. With the console, gamepad, 2 ac adapters, etc..., the Wii U takes up a lot of space I'd love to get back.

As soon as they announced Mario Maker 2, the Wii U was gone. The only game I really hope they port is Mario 3D World, but I’ll live if it isn’t.

I know the Switch is far from the ideal way to play these games, but I picked up Planescape Torment and Icewind Dale because I found the physical copy for dirt cheap locally.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Aguy said:

It might not be a popular opinion, but say bring all the good Wii U games to the Switch. With the console, gamepad, 2 ac adapters, etc..., the Wii U takes up a lot of space I'd love to get back.

I never had one, and if they bring Xenoblade X to Switch I'm happy writing it off forever

11 hours ago, Quaze said:

I understand.  I probably shouldn't, but i took personal offense to the WiiU and probably always will so I'd be happy to see it metaphorically burn.  I've been a happy Nintendo owner since the beginning 35 years ago this year now and I've always trusted their hardware to give me some sustained fun, even the darker times with spread out N64 releases, even with the ridicule the nice Wii got for waggle this and SD that.  The WiiU though, it broke a trust 3 decades long, and to the point had they released another straight console I would NOT have bought it, at the least 2-3 years in to prove it wouldn't go up in flames again, if at all.  It pleased me to no end when they torched their console R&D department entirely and folded the good of it into the handheld wing that has never been a let down, ever.  Each stab they take at that piece of crap and move every last quality game stranded on it into the Switch and for a time too the 3DS made me that much happier watching it slip into true irrelevance.

I've got nothing against the games, just the hardware, their stupid decisions, the terrible design of the hardware and coding software, all of it on that end.  The games, fantastic, love nothing more to see every last one of them leave to where they can get the support and care they deserve.

20 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I've got nothing against the games, just the hardware, their stupid decisions, the terrible design of the hardware and coding software, all of it on that end.  The games, fantastic, love nothing more to see every last one of them leave to where they can get the support and care they deserve.

That's fair. I'm in the same school of thought; a truly great ratio of good games to fluff, and some really quality titles in the bunch.....BUT, Nintendo just mishandled basically everything on the hardware front. Even the name is probably the stupidest console name in the history of mass-produced consoles....and I say that as someone well aware of the fact that the Xbox One X and Series X exist. I just wanna see a small handful of ports come over now and then I can bury the memory of the Wii U altogether. Honestly all I want at this point is Super Mario 3D World and Xenoblade Chronicles X. Give us those 2 games and I'll never mention the Wii U again.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Quaze said:

That's fair. I'm in the same school of thought; a truly great ratio of good games to fluff, and some really quality titles in the bunch.....BUT, Nintendo just mishandled basically everything on the hardware front. Even the name is probably the stupidest console name in the history of mass-produced consoles....and I say that as someone well aware of the fact that the Xbox One X and Series X exist. I just wanna see a small handful of ports come over now and then I can bury the memory of the Wii U altogether. Honestly all I want at this point is Super Mario 3D World and Xenoblade Chronicles X. Give us those 2 games and I'll never mention the Wii U again.

Don't forget about Pikmin 3! That game doesn't deserve to die on the Wii U. Although it might end up the only reason to buy one at some point.

4 hours ago, Quaze said:

Same here on the MS side, and it was made so evidently obvious to me watching/listening to many retail conversations while I was standing near by and even then asking the employee what's up after the fact too sometimes.  Employees, customers, whatever, they thought that damn thing was a Wii addon device, and that the blue boxes were like the equal to Gameboy Color where you had games that needed the upgrade to work.  I mean they weren't entirely wrong either given it dual booted anything Wii, but still...so so dumb.  My understanding was the two you want there are coming this year, among others of the remaining scraps of what little dignity that pos has left to cling to.  Well Mario is assumed but pretty sure the other was noted as coming and the rest falling into Nintendo saying other WiiU stuff was coming and the list is shrinking fast to pull a guess from that won't be right.

Editorials Team · Posted
On 2/15/2020 at 11:07 AM, Aguy said:

If Xenoblade Chronicles does well enough (which I'm sure it will), then X will be here next year.

Yeah I figure the release schedule that makes the most sense would be Xenoblade, Super Mario 3D World, and then X and Metroid Prime Trilogy next year

I hope those will make it over eventually. I wonder about Devils Third? I feel like it would go over pretty well with a Switch port

edit: I just look at the Wii U price and I’m shocked- it has jumped back to an insane number. I picked it up sealed for about $40 a couple years ago, looks like copies are selling for $150+ now

Edited by snes_collector