IGNORED

Sega Genesis rare 6-Pack variant.

29 minutes ago, The Count said:

Nice. Was this determined to be a US release?

I'm pretty sure it's an Asian release it shows up in Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan all the time.

I actually have one up for sale as well (upgraded to a BNIB version)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114133469833

If anyone here is interested happy to drop the price!!!

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, billybob884 said:

Interesting that it uses regular phillips screws... I've seen people argue on both sides of the Asia/North America issue, it does have genesis branding, but they're so rare here as opposed to overseas

For comparison, my NA 6 pak cart is assembled in USA while this one is made in Japan

CBFEDEF1-4A7B-478C-97DA-B1B40FFFFF28.thumb.jpeg.381b4f3144ccbe66834e4f90eb16b120.jpeg

On 3/2/2020 at 4:06 AM, billybob884 said:

Interesting that it uses regular phillips screws... I've seen people argue on both sides of the Asia/North America issue, it does have genesis branding, but they're so rare here as opposed to overseas

Yes I always found that strange as well, looks like they realised the problem that's why they added the security seal. Certainly an oddity. I think it will be tuff to establish it's true heritage but as it is so similar to the Asian 10 game cart and package I am going for Asian.

5 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

I find it very unlikely that this is an Asian release. Nothing was ever released in Asia with the Genesis branding, and the fact that the label has a rating and a US phone number sort of seals it. The holographic sticker is strange though.

I don't think this is entirely true, there are known Genesis Asian releases such as:

spacer.png

This is a well known variant amongst the collecting community.

16 hours ago, Tyree_Cooper said:

My bad, I was not aware of this Jurassic Park variant. Still, it's a proper Asian release with marking at the back and Japanese-shaped cartridge. The 6 Pak still looks 100% US, doesn't it? 😟

I posted a photo of my US cart for reference. The 6 pak cart in this variant does not match it.

Edited by MiamiSlice

On 3/2/2020 at 2:02 AM, dyer said:

I'm pretty sure it's an Asian release it shows up in Hong Kong, Singapore and Taiwan all the time.

I actually have one up for sale as well (upgraded to a BNIB version)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114133469833

If anyone here is interested happy to drop the price!!!

I disagree on this point, I've never seen this one in Taiwan, ever. Perhaps you meant Thailand, or should I even shudder and say it, China?

About Genesis games and Asian versions, it's been established that the American EA Games were sold in Taiwan via a local company, possibly even connected with Sega / EA themselves, so something could happen with this one, I.e a Genesis branded game being sold here, though I haven't seen evidence one way or the other.

Hmm, on reflection probably was Thailand. Although I know one collector who picked it up in Taiwan for sure. Given how grey all Asian releases tend to be it’s very tricky to get confirmed information or evidence.

Interesting info about EA. 

official asian md stuff was really a thing in thailand (wywy) and malaysia (galaxy), hong kong and taiwan not much. people are still finding shipping boxes of asian md games and consoles in thailand, and we're in 2020.😆

some n64 USA games were sold in taiwan, i even recall one sold with an adapter to make it fit a jpn/roc n64, maybe prior to that they did the same with some md games, wouldn't be too surprised

Edited by Tyree_Cooper

On 3/11/2020 at 12:25 PM, Tyree_Cooper said:

official asian md stuff was really a thing in thailand (wywy) and malaysia (galaxy), hong kong and taiwan not much. people are still finding shipping boxes of asian md games and consoles in thailand, and we're in 2020.😆

some n64 USA games were sold in taiwan, i even recall one sold with an adapter to make it fit a jpn/roc n64, maybe prior to that they did the same with some md games, wouldn't be too surprised

Oh, you mean something like this?

IMG20200126222527.thumb.jpg.9891f35581303eed172744b29df2b181.jpg

IMG20200126222533.thumb.jpg.1e9e9ab94ebb13766c2723b7f8358e9a.jpg

• Wow! 3

On 3/7/2020 at 9:25 PM, Tyree_Cooper said:

The 6 Pak still looks 100% US, doesn't it? 😟

I mean, not really. I don't think there's a single release in the US that used the mini cardboard box with a plastic tray (and, again, phillips screws). The Genesis branding doesn't mean too much tbh. Remember, plagerism is Asia's MO...

Edited by billybob884

The mini cardboard 6-Pak is an official Sega release, and as my spreadsheet tracks Genesis releases (this inclusive of Canadian Genesis titles), I consider this a Genesis release.

When I owned both this cart and the Mega Games 10, as well as a few different regions of consoles, I did some tests. Some of it was probably posted to SegaAge. I think my take back then were that these were surplus US carts that got a new packaging release, primary (or exclusively) sold in Asia. That reasoning makes sense to me for the Genesis branding: the carts already existed and they wanted the boxes (done as cheaply as possible thus the small size) to match. This Genesis 6-Pak did not include a manual, and I recall Mega Games 10 being the same.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, supergamboy said:

The mini cardboard 6-Pak is an official Sega release, and as my spreadsheet tracks Genesis releases (this inclusive of Canadian Genesis titles), I consider this a Genesis release.

When I owned both this cart and the Mega Games 10, as well as a few different regions of consoles, I did some tests. Some of it was probably posted to SegaAge. I think my take back then were that these were surplus US carts that got a new packaging release, primary (or exclusively) sold in Asia. That reasoning makes sense to me for the Genesis branding: the carts already existed and they wanted the boxes (done as cheaply as possible thus the small size) to match. This Genesis 6-Pak did not include a manual, and I recall Mega Games 10 being the same.

Hey! Long time no see hope you are keeping safe and well. Thanks for the extra info, I think your reasoning makes a lot of sense. Mega Games 10 was indeed the same and didn't include a manual, the similar size box, the consistency of not having a manual and the holo sticker add to the evidence that this is Asian.

Yeah, so then it depends on if you're a "US" collector or a "Genesis" collector.  

I wouldn't count this as a US release or variant, as far as the US set is concerned.  I'm ambivalent whether it should be included in the Asian "set."  More than anything, I would count it as a Genesis release, just like I do Canadian titles.  So if you collect Canadian, in addition to US, because they are "Genesis", then it might make sense to add this Genesis 6-Pak to your personal list.

With that logic, I might need to add to my spreadsheet the Asian "Genesis" Jurassic Park, hmm.

Things are well, bud! I've been researching game art now much more than games themselves