When he was creating his previous small game for the NESmaker Byte-Off 2019 competition, my son had lots of ideas that he would have liked to incorporate into his entry game. However, due to lack of time, he wrote everything down and told me that it would be for the next game... that how was created KUBO 3.

The game takes up the adventures of the cowboy turtle where the previous episode ended. The Evil Mole kidnapped the villagers... and Kubo will have to find 4 sacred objects in order to free them.

game00.png game2.png img [img Kubo-3-NESmaker.png

It took my son Seiji almost a year to make this game. As usual, we mostly worked on it for a few days during school holidays or on rainy weekends.
He wanted to finish it before our February vacations because he wanted to hand it to Joe Granato, the creator of NESmaker (on a short trip to Florida for a few days).

IMG-8259.jpg
(Joe Granato & Seiji - Feb 15th 2020)

We hope you will enjoy this little game as we had fun making it.

Tools used: NESmaker, Paint.NET, Notepad++, famitracker
Soundtrack: Raftronaut

Updates:
2020-07-01 minor cosmetic adjustments (bushes, cemetery level) for the cart version to come
2020-04-24 fixed the death issues (in the under water level) and small modifications to balance the game
2020-04-12 small modification (the graphics on the Castle door tile was not the correct ones)
2020-03-27 added english/french languages support, fixed a few issues to make the game more coherent/balanced
2020-03-04 fixed/moved some tiles in the overworld that could get the player stuck in solid tiles when entering some screens

Downloads:
https://dale-coop.itch.io/kubo-3-nes-game-by-sj-games

Gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmvFVepsiaw 

Physical NES cartridge complete in box (this summer):
KUBO-3-CRT-Box-Rendu-SOON-Red.png
(for pre-orders, contact me on PM or emails, Twitter, FB,...)

Cart only version is also still available:
Kubo-3-NES-Cartridges.png

Edited by dale_coop
  • Like 12
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When he was creating his previous small game for the NESmaker Byte-Off 2019 competition, my son had lots of ideas that he would have liked to incorporate into his entry game. However, due to lack of t

Just wanted to share some photos of the current state (thank you Broke Studio):    

This weekend, we finished the new label and the box (for the physical release planned for... soon) Now, working on the manual...  

Posted Images

I gave the game a shot and collected two pieces. I'm an english speaker, but know enough spanish to somewhat understand the text in the game.

All was good, but I traveled from one screen going down south and then appeared on this screen and got stuck on the rock. It's a soft lock. If you do an official release on Kickstarter or something then you probably want to fix this. 

IXRBzcr.png

But overall pretty decent. Music is pretty fun to listen to also. And the cut scene at the start was really impressive.

Edited by erockbrox

Thank you, erockbrox, for having played and for your precious feedbacks. my son designed most of the screens, and I tested and tried to fix all those  screen to screen collision issues I could find. I guess, I missed some of them 😛

PS: We will not make KS... the game might stay on a very limited run, for friends / family and people who really want one physical copy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome to VGS!

Play, Make, Collect.

Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

Join the conversation!

• Similar Content

• By austin532
      Here is a list of Sealed, CIB, Loose, and misc stuff I have for sale, for offer, or trade. Let me know if you are interested or need pictures. I am negotiable on prices so don't be afraid to ask.🙂

NES SEALED - FS/FT/FO
      n/a

NES COMPLETE - FS/FT/FO                                                          (Box) - (Manual) - (Game) - (Inserts) - (Price)

Bee 52                                                                                       M             M             M              M             $50
      Dick Tracy                                                                                VG            M             M             NM            $40

NES LOOSE - FS/FT/FO

NES Controller - $9
      NES Zapper (Gray) - $8

NES MANUALS - FS/FT/FO
      n/a

SNES SEALED - FS/FT/FO
      n/a

SNES COMPLETE - FS/FT/FO

Madden '93 - $10 (G)
      Super Smash TV - $60 (VG)

SNES NOT COMPLETE - FS/FT/FO
      n/a

GAMEBOY COMPLETE - FS/FT/FO

n/a

NINTENDO DS - FS/FT/FO

n/a

XBOX - FS/FT/FO

n/a

PLAYSTATION - FS/FT/FO

Gradius III and IV CIB - $30

MAGAZINE & STRATEGY GUIDES - FS/FT/FO
      Lots of Nintendo Powers and most are in excellent condition. Let me know which ones you are looking for.

INSERTS - FS/FT/FO
      n/a

• By IBtiM
      My friend Chris' game Rollie, the new adventure for the NES, is Out Now on cartridge and available from my crew The 6502 Collective. 

Roll and bounce through 16 stages of 8-bit bliss playing as Rollie or Lorrie who need to save their forest Paradise Gorge from the brats and bullies who have taken over.
      FEATURES:
      - Side-Scrolling Platformer
      - Two Player Mode
      - Items, Power-ups and Special Abilities like marbles, bubbles, clovers and more!
      - Password Saves
      - 16 Boss Battles over 16 Stages
      - Secrets and Checkpoints
      - #8BitLegit and built from the ground up by Optovania
      GET YOURS HERE ==>https://6502collective.com/store/p_1239924/rollie

• By matthughson
      Download (or play in your browser) the latest build here! (ver. 2020.07.24 BETA 3)
      The Kraken cometh...
      From the deepest trenches of the ocean, the Kraken has come to lay waste to your city!
      The archers have slung every arrow.
      The burning tar has run dry.
      Every piece of military weaponry has been dispatch.
      And yet... the Kraken moves forward, climbing the towering walls of your seaside fortress.
      With no ammunition left, the city itself moves from a barricade, to a weapon!
      The stones of the walls are broken off, and hurdled down at hideous creature. And it just might be enough to
      slow it down till morning, when surely help will arrive...
      ---
      Hi! I am working on my first Homebrew NES game, FROM BELOW! 
      It a falling block puzzle game featuring:
      Soft Drops Hard Drops Wall Kicks T-Spins Lock Delay Hold piece (maybe... haven't decided yet) 3 modes of play: Kraken Battle Mode
      The signature mode of FROM BELOW. Battle the Kraken by clear lines across the onslaught of attacking Kraken Tentacles. The Tentacles push more blocks onto the screen every few seconds, forcing to act quickly, and strategize on an every changing board.

Classic Mode
      The classic block falling mechanics you know and love without any new gimicks. Modernize for 2020, with Hard Drops, Lock Delay, and more, making this (hopefully) the best feeling puzzle game on the NES!
      Turn Based Kraken Battle Mode
      Similar to "Kraken Battle Mode", but instead of the Kraken attacking every few seconds, it advances its tentacle every time you drop a piece. Make every move count, as this move favors slow, deliberate play!

I've been working on it for over a month already (just discovered this forum today), and the game is nearly complete! Now that I know about this site, I'll try to keep this thread up to date with the latest build.

BETA NOW OPEN!
      The game is now feature complete, and open for Beta Testing! Please let me know of any bugs you find in the comments below!

• By RogerBidon
      Did you notice that all Nintendo systems coming after the N64 have their own version of Super Smash Bros? It is a shame that this (wonderful) experience is not ported to earlier systems!
      Super Tilt Bro. for NES is my humble attempt at filling this void. It adapts this fun and nervous gameplay to the NES and its eight buttons controller.
      You can freely download the ROM, play in a browser or hack the source.

It now has an ONLINE mode! Short story: Wi-Fi chipset in the cart. Long story: here.
      To find an online opponent, join the discord.
      Here is the trailer:
      In this topic there will be two kinds of updates:
      Technical highlights: small articles about technical challenges of developing Super Tilt Bro. and how they are solved. News: Less often, I may announce something big (like a new physical edition)
    • By Deadeye
      @KHAN Games is back again with another NES marathon to raise money for Organization for Autism Research.  Tune in all weekend to watch and request games to play.  There are prizes as well, which you are entered into the raffle by donating.  Below are the links to watch and get more information.
      https://tiltify.com/@nesspectrummarathon/nes-spectrum-marathon-2020
      https://www.twitch.tv/nesspectrummarathon