IGNORED

KUBO 3 (NES)

When he was creating his previous small game for the NESmaker Byte-Off 2019 competition, my son had lots of ideas that he would have liked to incorporate into his entry game. However, due to lack of time, he wrote everything down and told me that it would be for the next game... that how was created KUBO 3.

The game takes up the adventures of the cowboy turtle where the previous episode ended. The Evil Mole kidnapped the villagers... and Kubo will have to find 4 sacred objects in order to free them.

game00.png game2.png img [img Kubo-3-NESmaker.png

It took my son Seiji almost a year to make this game. As usual, we mostly worked on it for a few days during school holidays or on rainy weekends.
He wanted to finish it before our February vacations because he wanted to hand it to Joe Granato, the creator of NESmaker (on a short trip to Florida for a few days).

IMG-8259.jpg
(Joe Granato & Seiji - Feb 15th 2020)

We hope you will enjoy this little game as we had fun making it.

Tools used: NESmaker, Paint.NET, Notepad++, famitracker
Soundtrack: Raftronaut

Updates:
2020-07-01 minor cosmetic adjustments (bushes, cemetery level) for the cart version to come
2020-04-24 fixed the death issues (in the under water level) and small modifications to balance the game
2020-04-12 small modification (the graphics on the Castle door tile was not the correct ones)
2020-03-27 added english/french languages support, fixed a few issues to make the game more coherent/balanced
2020-03-04 fixed/moved some tiles in the overworld that could get the player stuck in solid tiles when entering some screens

Downloads:
https://dale-coop.itch.io/kubo-3-nes-game-by-sj-games

Gameplay video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmvFVepsiaw 

Physical NES cartridge complete in box: sold out
KUBO-3-CRT-Box-Rendu-SOON-Red.png

Cart only version is also still available:
Kubo-3-NES-Cartridges.png

And now on FAMICOM !!! Will be available Spring 2021 (limited print 100 copies shipping worldwide)

1677523728_KUBO3japanesefamicompub2.png.b2b8957ebf44e501207c09420d1aa7ef.png

IMG_2152.thumb.JPG.29ff001a38b31b0a577f9ebef4d25435.JPG

1031994647_KUBO3(Japan)(RevC20210126)2021-03-1516_47_46.png.bd36ad685e0dd6874935e9513972d826.png

(for pre-orders, contact me on PM or emails, Twitter, FB,...)

Edited by dale_coop
  • Like 13
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When he was creating his previous small game for the NESmaker Byte-Off 2019 competition, my son had lots of ideas that he would have liked to incorporate into his entry game. However, due to lack of t

Just wanted to share some photos of the current state (thank you Broke Studio):    

This weekend, we finished the new label and the box (for the physical release planned for... soon) Now, working on the manual...  

Posted Images

Hey Congrats Dale and SJ games! 

Here is a link to the OST if anyone is interested. 

Seiji wrote the main melody for the title music which I transcribed from a phone recording Dale sent me. I arranged it for the game from there. It was a fun project and I am glad I could contribute to your family project 🙂

• Like 1

I gave the game a shot and collected two pieces. I'm an english speaker, but know enough spanish to somewhat understand the text in the game.

All was good, but I traveled from one screen going down south and then appeared on this screen and got stuck on the rock. It's a soft lock. If you do an official release on Kickstarter or something then you probably want to fix this. 

IXRBzcr.png

But overall pretty decent. Music is pretty fun to listen to also. And the cut scene at the start was really impressive.

Edited by erockbrox

Thank you, erockbrox, for having played and for your precious feedbacks. my son designed most of the screens, and I tested and tried to fix all those  screen to screen collision issues I could find. I guess, I missed some of them 😛

PS: We will not make KS... the game might stay on a very limited run, for friends / family and people who really want one physical copy.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

New year... new plans.

KUBO 3 might be released on Famicom... we are working on that. It will be CIB, English/Japanese language (and the addition of a hard difficulty mode, for fun).

13944557_KUBO3FAMICOMCartrendu2.png.cbed0e6bb98f43bc1cca3fcadb236dc7.png

And an exclusive NES cartridge for KUBO 1&2 will come later this year (CIB, limited copies because not sure a lot of people might be interested). 

889890787_Kubo1et2NEScartridges.PNG.5559f8179d3fb785608fdefa2d8c9cde.PNG

Pre orders will start soon for the FAMICOM and the KUBO 1&2 editions.

As usual, if someone is interested to pre-order his copy or knows someone who would be interested, contact me and share around you.

Edited by dale_coop
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • dale_coop changed the title to KUBO 3 (NES / FAMICOM)
Member · Posted
32 minutes ago, dale_coop said:

@fcgamerTo be sure I don't forgot you in a few days when I will deal with all the emailing... can you secure your copy, filling that quick form PRE-ORDERS: https://t.co/tjsADRkAzb?amp=1

Thank you ❤️

Done! Thanks so much.

I received the nes version a few weeks ago. I haven't had time to play it yet, but it looks great. 🙂

• Love 1
  • dale_coop changed the title to KUBO 3 (NES)

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Welcome to VGS!

Play, Make, Collect.

Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

Join the conversation!

• Similar Content

• By austin532
      Here is a list of CIB, Loose, and misc stuff I have for sale, for offer, or trade. Let me know if you are interested or need pictures. I am negotiable on prices so don't be afraid to ask.🙂

NES COMPLETE - FS/FT/FO

Dick Tracy (Very Good) - $40

NES LOOSE - FS/FT/FO

Golf - $5
      Goal! (Very Nice) - $8
      NES Nintendo Brand Controller - $9
      NES Nintendo Brand Zapper (Gray) - $6

SNES SEALED - FS/FT/FO
      n/a

SNES COMPLETE - FS/FT/FO

Madden '93 - $10 (Good)
      Super Smash TV - $50 (VG)

SNES LOOSE - FS/FT/FO
      Donkey Kong Country 2 - $20

GAMECUBE - FS/FT/FO

n/a

Wii - FS/FT/FO
      n/a

GAMEBOY - FS/FT/FO

n/a

PLAYSTATION - FS/FT/FO

Official RF Adapter (New in Box) - $10

Playstation 1 System with AC/AV Cables (SCPH-5501 w/ PU-18 Board) - $40

PLAYSTATION 2 - FS/FT/FO

GunCon 2 with T Cable - $70

MAGAZINE & STRATEGY GUIDES - FS/FT/FO
      Lots of Nintendo Powers and most are in excellent condition. Let me know which ones you are looking for.

Top Secret Passwords Player's Guide - $10
    • By Bomberman64
      Hi! I recently started getting back into NES and am looking to build my collection again! I'm looking for the following games 100% CIB in amazing to mint condition! If you have any of the following, please PM and let's work some deals out! PayPal ready!! The * sign means these are my priorities and would buy almost immediately. I'll keep updating the list for newer things! Much appreciated helping me get my NES collection back!! And happy to be back!!

Little Samson
      Snow Brothers**
      Bonk's Adventure
      Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom**
      Blues Brothers
      Panic Restaurant
      Rally Bike w/ poster
      Race America w/ poster
      Dragon Fighter w/poster & reg card
      Fisher-Price Firehouse Rescue***
      S.C.A.T. w/ Poster & reg card
      Zombie Nation w/inserts
      Cheetahmen 2
      Myriad 6-in-1
      Hot Slots
      Peek-A-Boo Poker
      Bubble Bath Babes
      Cowboy Kid w/ poster**
      Jetsons
      Color a Dinosaur**
      Wayne's World
      Fire 'N Ice
      Toxic Crusaders
      Mario's Time Machine w/poster
      A Nightmare on Elm Street
      Frankenstein the Monster Returns**
      NES Yellow Test Cartridge
    • By matthughson
      DOWNLOAD HERE!
      I am working on a new game for the NES: Witch n' Wiz!
      For the 2020/21 NESDev competition, I have put together a sort of "demo" of game. You can download it for free using the link above. It is just a small sampling of what I hope to deliver in the final game, in fall of 2021.

Genre:
      Turn-Based Puzzle Platformer (e.g. Fire n Ice, Catrap, etc)
      How to Play:
      Objective:
      Vanquish all the monsters in room by slamming into them from the side. Push blocks around in a similar way to create bridges over gaps.
      You cannot jump! The only way to move up is the climb a ladder.
      If you make a mistake, press B to undo your last move, or SELECT to restart the room.
      Controls:
      D-PAD:    Move the character. SELECT:   Restart current room. START:    Pause game (view password, change floors, quit game). B BUTTON: Undo last move. A BUTTON: Switch characters (later levels only). Features:
      30+ Levels New puzzle mechanics every 5-10 levels Password Save Art by Kenneth Fejer and Zolionline. Music by Tui Social Media:
      Twitter: https://twitter.com/matthughson Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/2788404591447894 Discord: https://discord.gg/DenmA4ssPY
    • By Trirosmos
      Hey y’all!
      Yoey and I are Team Chocoblip and we’re here to present our first ever NES project! It’s still untitled for now, we’ve just been calling it Project Chocoblip. We’re hoping to have a fun little  game by the time the NESDev compo deadline comes in a few weeks 🙂.
      Project Chocoblip is a Metroidvania/Adventure platformer about a girl who gets lost in the woods while trying to help her dad collect wood. With only her pom pom as defense, she must now find her way to the top of a mountain to make a signal fire.
      As of right now, the engine we’ve built for the tech demo features:
      Full 8-way scrolling:
      CHR-RAM parallax:
      Arbitrary slopes:
      Throwable pom pom:
      And here’s a bit of full gameplay.
      Here’s some details about the game’s development
      Written exclusively in Wiz. The level editor features a JS port of most of the game logic for immediate feedback.
      Currently using the full fat Famitracker sound driver for easing the composition process. Might change later depending on ROM requirements.
      Art created in Photoshop + NESST + custom editor.
      Build process completely automated from within the custom editor.
      Uses ANROM with 64 KB of PRG. Scrolling is done entirely within a single nametable.

Among our future goals for the project are:
      Adding enemies/enemy logic.
      Adding other miscellaneous entities: one way platforms, moving platforms, environmental hazards.
      Finish final music with our guest composers.
      Developing a boss.
      Title screen/menus/cutscenes.
      Polish, polish, polish
      I'll try to keep this thread updated as we progress. We'll also often see we talking about the project in either the VGS or NESDev Discord servers.
      Either way, you can find me here if you're into the Tweets land and you can see posts from Yoey here.

• By acidjaguar
      Here are links to full size scans or source pics for these titles:
      NES - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1yWR-uA1lw7cl9syYUJisX78Z8f-AV7l8?usp=sharing
      Multi Game Books (will cover other systems too) - https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1WutRhihOVW65YoyKWNq0EwHLD-gEYacP?usp=sharing

Game Specific Guides Name Publisher Comments Cover Alt. Cover Adventures of Lolo 1 HAL     Adventures of Lolo 2 Brian     Adventures of Lolo 3 HAL     Adventures in Tetris NP Magazine Extra     All of Wizardry Hint Book Nexoft     All of Wizardry II: Knight of Diamonds Asciiware     Carmen Sandiego Companion, Ultimate Unofficial Bantam     Crystalis Clue Book: Get a Clue SNK     Déjà vu Hint Book Kemco-Seika     Dragon Warrior NP Magazine Extra     Dragon Warrior II, Unveiled Secrets of Enix     Dragon Warrior IV Tokuma     Dungeon Magic: Sword of Elements Taito     Fester's Quest: Sunsoft's Perfect Guide Book Sunsoft     Final Fantasy Nintendo Nintendo Power - Issue 17   King's Quest V Sierra Likely technically a PC guide, but still cool   Maniac Mansion Hint Book Jaleco Color edition is NES
      B&W edition is PC   Might & Magic: Secret of the Inner Sanctum Cluebook Sammy     Milon's Secret Castle Secrets, Hints and Clues Hudson Soft Originally came with map   Ninja Gaiden II Nintendo Nintendo Power - Issue 15   Robowarrior Official Hint Sheet Jaleco Color and B&W variants confirmed Shadowgate Hint Book Kemco-Seika     Star Wars Hint Book Lucasarts     Super Mario Bros 2 - Inside Out v1 / v2 NP Magazine Extra   Super Mario Bros 3 Nintendo Nintendo Power - Issue 13   Tetris Masters, Tricks of the Classic NES Createspace     Ultima Exodus Hint Book FCI     Uninvited Hint Book Kemco-Seika     Wall Street Kid Tip Sheet Sofel     Zelda: Tips and Tactics Nintendo     Multi Game Guides Name Publisher Comments Cover Alt Cover 4 Player Extra Nintendo Nintendo Power - Issue 19   Battletoads Battlebook Prima     Beyond the Nintendo Masters Hayden Books     Big Book of Nintendo Games Compute Books     Castlevania Hint Book Compute Books     Compute's Conquering Super Mario Bros (1st Ed.) Compute Books     Compute's Conquering Super Mario Bros (2nd Ed.) Compute Books     Compute's Conquering Zelda (1st Ed.) Compute Books     Compute's Conquering Zelda (2nd Ed.) Compute Books     Compute's Guide to Nintendo Adventure Games Compute Books     Compute's Guide to Nintendo Games Compute Books     Compute's Nintendo Secrets Compute Books     Compute's Nintendo Tips and Tricks Compute Books     Consumer's Guide: Hot Tips for the Coolest Nintendo Games Consumer Reports   Consumer's Guide: More Hot Tips for Nintendo Consumer Reports     Consumer's Guide: Nintendo Fun, Book for Beginners Consumer Reports     Consumer's Guide: More Nintendo Fun, Book for Beginners Consumer Reports     Consumer's Guide: Nintendo Strategies (white cover) Consumer Reports     Consumer's Guide: Nintendo Strategies (red cover) Consumer Reports     Consumer's Guide: Nintendo Strategies (yellow cover) Consumer Reports     Consumer's Guide: More Nintendo Strategies Consumer Reports     Consumer's Guide: Super Strategies (blue cover) Consumer Reports     Consumer's Guide: Super Strategies (white cover) Consumer Reports     Consumer's Guide: Super Strategies (1st print / grey cover) Consumer Reports     Consumer's Guide: Winning Tips for Nintendo Consumer Reports     Consumer's Guide: Winning Tips for Nintendo (mini book variant) Consumer Reports     Consumer's Guide: Winner's Guide to Nintendo Consumer Reports     Game Atlas Nintendo     Game Counsellor's Answerbook Microsoft Press     Game Player's Encyclopedia of Nintendo Games Volume 1 Signal Research   Game Player's Encyclopedia of Nintendo Games Volume 2 Signal Research     Game Player's Encyclopedia of Nintendo Games Volume 3 Signal Research     Game Player's Encyclopedia of Nintendo Games Volume 4 Signal Research     Game Player's Encyclopedia of Nintendo Games Volume 5 Signal Research     Game Player's Encyclopedia of Nintendo Games Volume 6 Signal Research     Game Player's Encyclopedia of Nintendo Games Volume 7 Signal Research     Game Player's Encyclopedia of Nintendo Games Volume 8 Signal Research     Hot Tips: Adventure Games GamePro     Hot Tips: Sports Games GamePro     How to Beat Nintendo Gamebook [IMPORT] Boxtree Limited     How to Win at Super Mario Bros Takuma Shoten     How to Win at Super Mario Games St. Martin's Press     How to Win at Super Mario Games Special Edition (includes Dr. Mario) St. Martin's Press     How to Win at Nintendo Games (boxed set) St. Martin's Press     How to Win at Nintendo Games (black cover / first edition) St. Martin's Press     How to Win at Nintendo Games (red w/ yellow starburst cover) St. Martin's Press     How to Win at Nintendo Games (red w/ white starburst cover) St. Martin's Press     How to Win at Nintendo Games #2 St. Martin's Press     How to Win at Nintendo Games #3 St. Martin's Press     How to Win at Nintendo Games #4 St. Martin's Press     How to Win at Nintendo Sports Games St. Martin's Press     How to Win at Nintendo Games, Best of St. Martin's Press     Mega Man, Official Guide to Compute Books     Mastering Nintendo Video Games (1st pressing) Hayden Books     Mastering Nintendo Video Games (2nd pressing) Hayden Books     Mastering Nintendo Video Games II Hayden Books     Nintendo Game Strategies Volume 1 Prima - PSOTG     Nintendo Game Strategies Volume 2 Prima - PSOTG     Nintendo Game Strategies Volume 3 Prima - PSOTG     Nintendo Game Secrets Volume 4 Prima - PSOTG     Nintendo Game Secrets Greatest Tips GamePro     Nintendo Action Games Millbook Press     Nintendo Role Playing Games Millbook Press     Ocean's Guide to Jurassic Park Supplemental Magazine   Official Nintendo Player's Guide Nintendo     Top Secret Passwords Nintendo     Tips of the Classic NES Tetris Masters Createspace     Tricks of the Nintendo Masters Hayden Books     Ultima, Official Book of Compute Books     Ultimate Hint Book Ultimate Game Club     Ultimate Strategy Guide to Super Mario Bros Random House     Ultimate Unauthorized Nintendo Classic Game Strategies Random House     Ultimate Unauthorized Nintendo Classic Game Strategies (2nd Edition) Random House     Ultimate Unauthorized Nintendo Game Strategies Volume 1 Random House     Ultimate Unauthorized Nintendo Game Strategies Volume 2 Random House     Ultimate Unauthorized Nintendo Game Strategies Volume 3 Random House     Video Game Secrets ---     Vidiot Boy's Guide to Zelda Vidiot Boy     Zelda Collector's Edition Nintendo