IGNORED

Preservation methods for disc games?

VegHead

I have done a whole lot of research on the subject of preserving disc game and their packaging, but my results are inconclusive, and I would like to hear other's thoughts on the methods I have come across.

- Discs have an unknown lifespan.  Disc rot is a real issue for early model CD and LD media, but I'm not sure how big of a concern the individual collector should have.  Also, does anyone use any methods for preventing this or halting it?  I've seen CD sleeves that have "corrosion intercept technology" which seems to be about capturing the gases in the environment around the disc that would cause decay.  That said, I absolutely HATE sleeves for discs; I have yet to find one that won't leave marks on the surface.  At this point, I am convinced the only good way to store a disc is suspended on a hub (like in a jewel case).

- Will jewel cases, DVD/Amaray cases, and BD cases deteriorate the case art and manuals if they are stored in them long term?  I have started taking the tray cards and manuals out of my PS1 jewel cases and storing them in an archival plastic sleeve, while the disc itself goes into an ultraslim cd case.  I figure that I can always put it back into a jewel case if I want to display it or sell it, and jewel cases turn ugly so fast from scratches that preserving them leads to madness.  The same goes for Amaray DVD cases.  That outer plastic window sleeve is most likely PVC, and that stuff supposedly destroy paper-based items over time.  I've been looking into putting them into some kind of sleeve (like a larger comic sleeve) to store them in, and the DVD/BD goes into a slimcase.  

I would love thoughts/reactions to my ideas and questions.  Thanks!

I haven't yet experienced(mostly) bitrot, but have you considered airtight containers? (the only time I've experienced bitrot is when I got a prototype and it had bitrot on it, thankfully, it ripped properly...I think)

I know its not really feasible for most situations but I keep some of my things in ziplocks and zipped bags, I also keep the manuals in another box entirely on some occasions, maybe that may help. But I'm a newb with preservation specifics.

• Like 1

argon gas sealed container  would do the trick  but in on all seriousness  laser rot is very rare.  i have 500 movies  and 400 games discs in all.  ive only had one disc fail on me  due to a manufacturing error that causes dvd layers to separate.

now sega saturn is known for poor manufacturing  ive seen those disc fail more often than others.  as long as there stored in a cool environment  away for sun light in a vertical position and handled properly they will last for many years.

The only practical thing to do is reproduction media. I know.. I don’t like this idea either, but just being a realist.

I talked with the guy from Limited Run at their pop up shop. I said I think they should reproduce Saturn games. Sega is on board to license their stuff to smaller companies. But apparently the special machinery that made the Saturn disc swivel pattern is lost in history. LR would have to re-engineer a way to make the Saturn swivel to reproduce these discs (Sega isn’t gonna do it, they just want to give licensing rights in return for free money). Then there’s the issue of having enough demand for a given title.

The right way to do it would be to offer the lImiteds and CIBs as they do, but then also offer a low cost “disc only” option for like $10. I bet for some less popular titles they would do good with “disc only” runs (with alternate reproduction disc art). This would be an option for people that already have CIB’s but their disc has succumbed to disc rot, scratches or cracking

Edited by phart010
  • Like 1

On 2/24/2020 at 8:40 PM, phart010 said:

The only practical thing to do is reproduction media. I know.. I don’t like this idea either, but just being a realist.

I talked with the guy from Limited Run at their pop up shop. I said I think they should reproduce Saturn games. Sega is on board to license their stuff to smaller companies. But apparently the special machinery that made the Saturn disc swivel pattern is lost in history. LR would have to re-engineer a way to make the Saturn swivel to reproduce these discs (Sega isn’t gonna do it, they just want to give licensing rights in return for free money). Then there’s the issue of having enough demand for a given title.

The right way to do it would be to offer the lImiteds and CIBs as they do, but then also offer a low cost “disc only” option for like $10. I bet for some less popular titles they would do good with “disc only” runs (with alternate reproduction disc art). This would be an option for people that already have CIB’s but their disc has succumbed to disc rot, scratches or cracking

I wonder if Sega still has the specs for the machinery.  A lot of companies hold onto that stuff for ages.  I mean, if LR was willing to invest 100k to do Sega Cd jewel cases, how much more of a step is it to invest in a custom disc pressing machine?  I don't know, just speculating. 

• Like 1