IGNORED

What's the next big spike

DefaultGen

It will always be what it has always been, key significant titles and the rest just remains flat or falls.

The next spike will be the extremely significant titles for PS1 while everyone else is wasting time on the B and C class Nintendo stuff. 

Edited by Startyde
  • Like 1

We create the spikes just by discussing things. It’s simple supply and demand. The supply is fixed. Some games have a ton of copies out there and some have few.

When we discuss how something is in some way interesting we create the demand. And if we talk about how it is also uncommon, that only amplifies the demand. And if we speculate that it will be a spike then it gets out of control. 

Low supply + high demand = spike

Whatever is extremely hyped, whether it be from a Wata article or from else where the newer deep pocket buyers will pay to own what they feel so many others would want and they can flip.  It seems some of them even took people with them to Prge so they could be given advice on what to buy.   It really just comes down to how well something can be hyped and if some of the deep pocket collectors by into it.  I only refer to the newer spenders because I assume most old school collectors aren’t in the big buying frenzy but maybe I’m wrong.  

Edited by Mydogsrule

On 10/29/2019 at 12:31 PM, Romiked2689 said:

1.  I could see certain movies maybe but mostly comics and they are already in the hype mix I just sold a sealed silver surfer for 525! 

2. I agree wholeheartedly on prototypes. They were never ever supposed to make it out into the general public but of course they did! The problem is no one cares! I can’t even get a section devoted to prototypes but yet there’s a section for speculation of video game economics(seriously why does this get its own thread). Sealed in top condition is the top of the mountain in video game collecting. Quick note on top of the mountain it’s actually the box art but there’s only so many that can afford those. 

Make a prototype hype article and see if you are a good writer😆.  As for video game art, I do think there is a misperception by a lot of people that it’s all outrageously priced.  I find that disappointing because I think many are interested but already feel they can’t afford anything.  There is nice video game art that most could afford if they really wanted something.  I mean people have to use some common sense on what to ask about though.   Besides video game covers there are awesome painted ads and I think those are still unknown to most.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mydogsrule said:

Make a prototype hype article and see if you are a good writer😆.  As for video game art, I do think there is a misperception by a lot of people that it’s all outrageously priced.  I find that disappointing because I think many are interested but already feel they can’t afford anything.  There is nice video game art that most could afford if they really wanted something.  I mean people have to use some common sense on what to ask about though.   Besides video game covers there are awesome painted ads and I think those are still unknown to most.

Great post.    There’s great material at very price point but you have to be realistic; nobody is selling you the wild guns cover for 500 or something.   A sealed copy of the game is worth several times that, no one in their right mind is selling the original for the price a sealed copy goes for on any title really.    And that’s a good rule of thumb; if a sealed mint copy is expensive the art is going to be in all likelihood quite a bit more expensive than the best copy of the game that you could dream up.  

Ad paintings and or preliminary drawings for covers are both quite reasonable most of the time .      Collectors are still buying very nice material for a couple grand a pop (a decent ad painting, a decent prelim drawing, a lower end cover for say sega game gear, etc) 

Edited by Bronty

8 hours ago, Mydogsrule said:

A good writer lol. Let’s be honest I’m better at finding games then writing about games. Also of course there is art that people can afford just don’t use my brain because I’m offering 500 on wild guns next month:p 

16 hours ago, Romiked2689 said:

A good writer lol. Let’s be honest I’m better at finding games then writing about games. Also of course there is art that people can afford just don’t use my brain because I’m offering 500 on wild guns next month:p 

Write a good article with have a good sales pitch and maybe just maybe the right people see it.  Really though your Talespin championship cartridge is a cool piece of Nes history that just needs proper documentation.   As for the art, yeah when I saw Bronty make mention of the $500, I thought of you Haha.

4 hours ago, Mydogsrule said:

Write a good article with have a good sales pitch and maybe just maybe the right people see it.  Really though your Talespin championship cartridge is a cool piece of Nes history that just needs proper documentation.   As for the art, yeah when I saw Bronty make mention of the $500, I thought of you Haha.

Dude said quite a bit more I only forgot a couple zeros! Blame it on my fat thumbs. Honestly I want more prototypes not less let the masses fight over retail I’ll be over here asking for early disney nes games

• Haha 1

On 11/6/2019 at 8:05 PM, Startyde said:

It will always be what it has always been, key significant titles and the rest just remains flat or falls.

The next spike will be the extremely significant titles for PS1 while everyone else is wasting time on the B and C class Nintendo stuff. 

Strokes his copy of Battle Arena Toshinden in anticipation. 

Man. You guys are all WAY off. The next spike is 100% without a doubt iam8bit retro re-releases. That stuff is 🔥🔥🔥

Retro pack in surprises? I don't know what that is, but I gotta have it!!! I gotta have all of it.

Then there's the question of do I open it to find out if I was lucky enough to get a variant? Or do I keep it sealed? OMG I can't keep it sealed I just have to know!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 6 months later...
On 11/15/2019 at 9:43 PM, chromableedstudios said:

Calling it now: double graded. Double the plastic double the hypebucks.

”This double graded sealed copy of Yoshi’s Cookie was originally graded before the fall of NintendoAge” - a future Pawn Stars episode

On 10/22/2019 at 5:03 PM, snk2d4ever said:

Sealed - Bionic Commando

Looking back at the past 6 months where a nice sealed Bionic Commando has been outsold by Pac Man, Space Invaders, God of War, Donkey Kong Country 2, Robocop 3, and LJN X-Men I am officially marking this prediction wrong.

On 5/20/2020 at 7:35 PM, DefaultGen said:

Looking back at the past 6 months where a nice sealed Bionic Commando has been outsold by Pac Man, Space Invaders, God of War, Donkey Kong Country 2, Robocop 3, and LJN X-Men I am officially marking this prediction wrong.

Did anyone say GameCube?

On 11/15/2019 at 7:20 PM, LastCat said:

Metroid Other M... I can feel it!

I don’t think it will get outrageous in price, but it is definitely due for a correction at some point. It’s actually a good game, people just hate on it because it wasn’t what they were hoping for.