IGNORED

What are you drinking?

Reed Rothchild

We upgraded our coffee game again, holy shit was the old grinder a piece of crap.

20210320_112550.thumb.jpg.5de97f4d39bf37c70a48c526c5f03bd8.jpg

The old on the right has a very inconsistent grind, jammed up, loud as hell, staticy/messy.. it became a nightmare and the new one (baratta encore) is so much better all around.

We picked up some fancy coffee and a new french press to celebrate

20210320_131447.thumb.jpg.56d9d79c08c039e82fa5e1685d8d8d93.jpg

A single origin ethiopia variety, holy buckets is it good. Bright as heck then mellows into a chocolatey bitterness. Mad cap is from grand rapids, mi and they are pretty dang good.

I might have ingested a bit of caffeine.

Edited by drxandy
  • Like 6
  • Love 1

Social Team · Posted
On 3/20/2021 at 1:21 PM, drxandy said:

We upgraded our coffee game again, holy shit was the old grinder a piece of crap.

20210320_112550.thumb.jpg.5de97f4d39bf37c70a48c526c5f03bd8.jpg

The old on the right has a very inconsistent grind, jammed up, loud as hell, staticy/messy.. it became a nightmare and the new one (baratta encore) is so much better all around.

We picked up some fancy coffee and a new french press to celebrate

20210320_131447.thumb.jpg.56d9d79c08c039e82fa5e1685d8d8d93.jpg

A single origin ethiopia variety, holy buckets is it good. Bright as heck then mellows into a chocolatey bitterness. Mad cap is from grand rapids, mi and they are pretty dang good.

I might have ingested a bit of caffeine.

I did my research when I went from a blade grinder to the Encore.  You'll love it for sure.  FYI you can add the smallest bit of water (handle of spoon dipped in water then stirred into coffee beans) to significantly reduce static from coffee grinding.  I did this for a while (months) and noticed it start to oxidize the metal burr grinder so I stopped it and only do it for the really bad beans that I have trouble with.  

Encore isn't perfect but I'm not to the point of spending more money on a coffee grinder.  I never would of guess I would of spent the money on the Encore a few years ago.  But I don't regret it at all.  Only regret is owning glass carafes/french presses.  I'm way too clumsy for that.  Still trying to find a large (1L) non breakable drip carafes.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

I did my research when I went from a blade grinder to the Encore.  You'll love it for sure.  FYI you can add the smallest bit of water (handle of spoon dipped in water then stirred into coffee beans) to significantly reduce static from coffee grinding.  I did this for a while (months) and noticed it start to oxidize the metal burr grinder so I stopped it and only do it for the really bad beans that I have trouble with.  

Encore isn't perfect but I'm not to the point of spending more money on a coffee grinder.  I never would of guess I would of spent the money on the Encore a few years ago.  But I don't regret it at all.  Only regret is owning glass carafes/french presses.  I'm way too clumsy for that.  Still trying to find a large (1L) non breakable drip carafes.

Oo thanks for the tip on reducing static! So far it's been a word of difference compare to the  cuisinart piece of crap. I have definitely broken a few french presses over the years, at least they're cheap. For carafes maybe look at restaurant supply? Something used in the industry might be a little sturdier.. maybe not but options.

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
25 minutes ago, drxandy said:

Oo thanks for the tip on reducing static! So far it's been a word of difference compare to the  cuisinart piece of crap. I have definitely broken a few french presses over the years, at least they're cheap. For carafes maybe look at restaurant supply? Something used in the industry might be a little sturdier.. maybe not but options.

All credit goes to this YouTuber/video 

I really enjoy his videos but I don't have enough taste sensitivity to get as in-depth as he does.  I still don't weight my beans or water.....yet.  I did buy a scale as I was going to try it out and see if I could get even better coffee.  I think just being more consistent in my coffee making would be great.  There is another video of his that did leave a huge impression on me and recommend you try it too.

Edited by FireHazard51
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, FireHazard51 said:

All credit goes to this YouTuber/video 

I really enjoy his videos but I don't have enough taste sensitivity to get as in-depth as he does.  I still don't weight my beans or water.....yet.  I did buy a scale as I was going to try it out and see if I could get even better coffee.  I think just being more consistent in my coffee making would be great.  There is another video of his that did leave a huge impression on me and recommend you try it too.

I'm honestly doing everything he says in the ultimate minus the last part, I never thought to not fully plunge.. but I do like a little sludge.

Actually that was my favorite thing about the new grinder, even though I started a little coarse it was pretty much free from grinds in the cup which was super impressive.

I dialed in the amount of beans and the fineness of what I like for the French press years ago and agree with him on not having it as coarse as most recommend, but I've been having a press a morning for pretty much the last 10 years.

I have been a barista for a long time so it's easier to just be lazy and grab it from the coffee shop, but I love my morning ritual.

• Like 1

Social Team · Posted
16 hours ago, drxandy said:

I'm honestly doing everything he says in the ultimate minus the last part, I never thought to not fully plunge.. but I do like a little sludge.

Actually that was my favorite thing about the new grinder, even though I started a little coarse it was pretty much free from grinds in the cup which was super impressive.

I dialed in the amount of beans and the fineness of what I like for the French press years ago and agree with him on not having it as coarse as most recommend, but I've been having a press a morning for pretty much the last 10 years.

I have been a barista for a long time so it's easier to just be lazy and grab it from the coffee shop, but I love my morning ritual.

Sounds like your coffee game is way stronger than mine.  I'm getting their but my laziness is a hindrance.  I have made improvements but it's a side hobby of mine that I enjoy.  When it comes down to it I'll take anything brown and bitter in the morning.  I could never down grade to Forgers though.  I will ALWAYS buy fresh whole beans.  Speaking of which I've added a new bean supplier to my local go to coffee shop supplier.

ACtC-3dTTMqBhX49mgPuptogVGvPQHaAxDrSKzHu

• Like 3