IGNORED

What Else Do You Collect Besides Video Games?

Tabonga

Ugh, where do I start. Comic Books (Batman (anything pre-New 52)), LJN Wrestling Figures, Old WWF Magazines, Fantasy Miniatures, Warhammer 40k Miniatures, Dungeons & Dragons (rulebooks, modules and campaign guides), Call of Cthulhu (rulebooks, scenarios and props), Vinyl Records, and Emanuel Pins (Disney and whatever else I fancy). It's more or less why I can't complete any one collection, as I have too many. I try to pick up a handful of NES/Gameboy games each year and a couple of everything else if I can. I clearly have a hording problem. 

Edited by PasseGaming
Updated.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, LeatherRebel5150 said:

My roomate in college loves Hamm's. Ive always been on the lookout at flea markets for stuff for him but never find anything

Yeah it’s tough to find the stuff outside of shows and other collectors. This came from a good friend. Hamms is also some of the most desirable stuff when it comes to beer branding, I live right in the heart of Hamms country and I’m still damn hard pressed to find stuff from someone who isn’t a collector or not marked up 

I'm starting to collect drums and drum accessories. I acquired a pearl export Joey jordison signature kit that is begging for upgrades after putting new heads on the drums. I've been staying on the lookout for deals when I can find them. Snagged a $ 15 14" China from a guitar center closeout recently. I've been looking for paiste alphas in particular, specifically the 21" groove ride. I loved that ride and I would love to require it. 

I may settle for 900s if I can't find alphas anywhere. I see them sporadically on ebay.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I have a small collection of vinyl figures, and I also collect Mountain Dew related bottles and cans of some of their limited release items. A pro-tip for people that want to collect soda bottles. Don't collect plastic bottles...they don't hold up and become squishy after a few years. Just an FYI.

vinylanddew.jpg

• Like 1

I don't collect cigar boxes per se - but I will pick them up if they are suitable to stick chess sets in.

One of my favorite box styles is this one (I have several of them) - they look nice and are fabric lined - it is super easy to cut a thin divider and cover it with self adhesive felt to make a divider for the pieces.  They easily hold a 3.5" set.

297779993_s-l1600(47).thumb.jpg.206f3affe36759e3991b888963dc41a7.jpg

1270475456_s-l1600(48).thumb.jpg.1eb85f47feebada1116fc45db0b1f8be.jpg

I just got one that has little glass tubes in it - which I assume originally held the cigars. (I don't smoke so no idea if this was/is common.) Just thought it was kind of unusual.

345149129_s-l1600(49).thumb.jpg.58d8596290a709512d440fcd4ceb3084.jpg

They sit on a cardboard tray which just lifts out.

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Tabonga said:

I just got one that has little glass tubes in it - which I assume originally held the cigars. (I don't smoke so no idea if this was/is common.) Just thought it was kind of unusual.

Cigar tubes have been around for a long time. They were designed so you could store your cigar on you without breaking it. They are basically cigarette cases for cigars. They also help keep them fresh.

• 5 months later...

I found a game that I have been looking for for a long time.  It is based on the classic board game Fox and Geese (which dates back to the middle ages).  This version has two submarines and twenty cargo ships which is not surprising given that this was made in 1947.  It was made by a company called Dearborn Industries and as far as I can tell it was the only game made by them.  It is also unusual in that the cover has pretty bland graphics gives no clue about what the game is.

2062260159_s-l1600(6).thumb.jpg.c3762e5898c3869b7820af043044a11e.jpg2086602922_s-l1600(4).thumb.jpg.18efde38a14b282dfb150d81bfb3b1a0.jpg1421776692_s-l1600(5).thumb.jpg.0c55e65928b0e149b5fe64f2604cc93b.jpg

Edited by Tabonga
  • Like 4

I have a few collections.  I collect movies on all formats such as laserdisc, CED, VCD, and all of the common ones of course.

I have a lil bit of sports memorabilia left from my childhood, but I very rarely buy anything new.

I collect cars.  Mostly Hondas, but I have a sweet spot for rare cars that failed in the market like Fieros, Probes, or extremely rare versions of cars like my prized Civic RS.

On top of the cars, I also collect Honda accessories and marketing materials, like my Honda standees with Skeletor on them.

30 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I have a few collections.  I collect movies on all formats such as laserdisc, CED, VCD, and all of the common ones of course.

Those big shiny discs are alluring aren't they?  I have a good sized collection of them. I have a few CEDs - I have this small weird split level building in the back of the yard that has a narrow ledge where the two halves meet - perfect to display a few of those.

38 minutes ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I collect cars.  Mostly Hondas, but I have a sweet spot for rare cars that failed in the market like Fieros, Probes, or extremely rare versions of cars like my prized Civic RS.

I had a friend in college who had an AMC Marlin  that he was quite proud of.  He got drunk one night (not an unusual occurrence for him) and managed to set it on fire - totaling the car.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Those big shiny discs are alluring aren't they?  I have a good sized collection of them. I have a few CEDs - I have this small weird split level building in the back of the yard that has a narrow ledge where the two halves meet - perfect to display a few of those.

I have around 400 laserdiscs currently.  I havent bought any for a couple of years, but I leave it hooked up in my theatre incase I want to watch a different cut of a movie that is only available on LD.

• Wow! 1

Just now, SilverspoonGaming said:

I have around 400 laserdiscs currently.  I havent bought any for a couple of years, but I leave it hooked up in my theatre incase I want to watch a different cut of a movie that is only available on LD.

I have been collecting them since 1982 (when we bought our first player - it was a gas driven Pioneer LD-660 behemoth).  I have a lot of obscurities - my favorite is probably a Hong Kong copy of Night of the Comet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tabonga said:

And who better to tell us all about this state of the art tech of the future (I sure miss the days when we had that...) than good ol' Mr Wizard! 😄 

Edited by Estil

2 hours ago, SilverspoonGaming said:

I havent bought any for a couple of years, but I leave it hooked up in my theatre incase I want to watch a different cut of a movie that is only available on LD.

Which cuts of movies do you recommend that are better, or exclusive to, LD. Or which are your favorites to dig out?

3 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Which cuts of movies do you recommend that are better, or exclusive to, LD. Or which are your favorites to dig out?

I really just like discovering them.  Seeing scenes in familiar movies that I have never seen before watching it on laserdisc.  A few movies that come to mind that are a bit different are Major League, Ace Ventura, Jurassic Park.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...