IGNORED

I'm finally giving the PS3/PS4 some love...my first real 8th gen game, Dragon Quest 11...which I just completed Story Mode! And it only took me 100 hours...

Estil

So at long last (and I suppose yet another good way to get the 2020s off on the right foot) and I dusted off my PS3 (superslim 500GB) and giving it some love (I had both a PS3 and PS4 Pro for awhile; the latter was a gift, I just hadn't gotten around to doing much with either one...and at long last I finally got my first PS4 game...Final Fantasy 12 Zodiac Age.  I intend at some point to get Dragon Quest 11 as my second PS4 game.

As for the PS3, I'm currently working on the Final Fantasy X-X2 remake and for that as well as Final Fantasy 12 in PS4 I just cannot get over what an amazing difference they are compared to the original PS2 versions (which were already epic games with amazing graphics...FF12 quite clearly pushed the PS2 with everything it had just like Twilight Princess did so for the GC right around that time)!  I also hope to get the two Kingdom Hearts remakes for the PS3...each one including two extra games as well as the flagship Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.  The rest of my PS3 lineup so far is the FF13 trilogy (haven't yet started but might once I'm done with the PS2 Final Fantasy remakes) which everyone seems to hate for some reason 😞 ), Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection, Gran Turismo 5, Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy.  It's a start I suppose.

For those of you wondering what my PS3/PS4 handle is...as crazy as this sounds, I've thus far chosen not to do any sort of online gaming.  I know most of you will think I'm nuts and really missing out I've always been most comfortable just playing my games and doing my other hobbies at my own pace; no strings, no pressure.  On a related note, I like how your trophy card (whatever the right term is) includes both PS3 and PS4 games.

Make no mistake about it, retro gaming (3rd-6th gen) will always be my first love but I think I owe it to myself to do at least some 7th/8th gen stuff (I had already done some of the Wii U games like New SMB/SL-U, Mario Kart 8, and both Zelda remakes; also what an incredible difference compared to their GC originals!).

I guess when it comes to the remakes I cited above, what a difference a much bigger HDTV screen (mine is 42 inch Sharp Aquos and is also my computer monitor) as well as a console gen or two makes eh?

PS: Is it too early to think of PS3 as retro gaming?  I can't believe it's release and it's prime era was already that long ago...

Edited by Estil

If you have a Fat PS3 with the Spiderman font. Do not play Fallout 3. It bricked two of my systems. Causing the eye to constantly search. 

The PS3 version of Kingdom Hearts remakes is the best version. I like the option to play either original or final mix. 

Edited by themisfit138

Don't ever touch Witch and the Hundred Knight either, no matter what PS3 you try. That game will brick any of them. Also:

20 hours ago, Estil said:

As for the PS3, I'm currently working on the Final Fantasy X-X2 remake and for that as well as Final Fantasy 12 in PS4 I just cannot get over what an amazing difference they are compared to the original PS2 versions (which were already epic games with amazing graphics...FF12 quite clearly pushed the PS2 with everything it had just like Twilight Princess did so for the GC right around that time)!  I also hope to get the two Kingdom Hearts remakes for the PS3...each one including two extra games as well as the flagship Kingdom Hearts 1 and 2.  The rest of my PS3 lineup so far is the FF13 trilogy (haven't yet started but might once I'm done with the PS2 Final Fantasy remakes) which everyone seems to hate for some reason 😞 )

First one is hated because it's 60 hours of endless hallways. Other If i recall, were because they were originally a Chrono Trigger and Valkyrie Profile sequel, and the Second one forced you to buy the ending as DLC.

Edited by PineappleLawnchair

34 minutes ago, themisfit138 said:

If you have a Fat PS3 with the Spiderman font. Do not play Fallout 3. It bricked two of my systems. Causing the eye to constantly search. 

I had the same basic thing happen with GTAIV on my 40GB PS3 back in 2008 or so.

This ps3 was on ps3 OFW 2.53 and we were messing with the swing glitch, the game crashed, and the console crashed, and the lense just kept searching and it fried its lense.(it was basically brand new and sony never took responsibility)

I recommend steering clear of GTAIV as well...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

The PS3 version of Kingdom Hearts remakes is the best version. I like the option to play either original or final mix. 

I have the superslim 500GB...I think the or at least one of the final models.

9 hours ago, Estil said:

I have the superslim 500GB...I think the or at least one of the final models.

I don’t know much about the Super Slim. I have the first 250GB Slim. Besides not being able to play PS2 games, the slim is much improved over the original design. 

A161EA31-A638-42D6-8DC5-8EE01AA3BA8D.thumb.jpeg.63c0c1e9c2047a9c854f11069841aa2b.jpeg

Edited by themisfit138

I'm obligated to recommend the Ico/Shadow of the Colossus remaster for the PS3 and the Shadow of the Colossus remake on the PS4.  You don't really need to play both versions of SOTC.  Either one is amazing, and both games games are easily purchased for under $20.

Also, if you are into God of War, check out God of War Saga.  It includes HD remaster of GOW 1 & 2, along with the PS3 version of GOW3, plus digital downloads of the HD remasters of both PSP games.  It's basically every GOW game except for Ascension and the new PS4 game and it sells for about $15.  If you don't like the idea of digital downloads for the two PSP games, you can get them physically on GOW Origins also for PS3 for under $20.  

And I would definitely check out Horizon Zero Dawn on PS4.  Absolutely amazing game, and the first game I ever attempted to get a platinum trophy for because I couldn't stop playing the game.  

Honestly I'm pretty much new to the whole PS3/PS4 era.  And even the games I am working on are mostly remakes.  I think the only major blue chip retro series I hadn't yet experienced are Crash Bandicoot, Resident Evil, and Tomb Raider.  And actually the PSP 3000 (I think it's the only one you can play it on a TV) does look kinda interesting and I think it's the only way you can do that whole Final Fantasy 4 ultimate collection sort of deal?

The only trouble is we don't get much money so I'll be lucky if I can even get the two PS3 Kingdom Hearts Remixes when I get paid in about a week and a half. 😞  But you know what they say about slow and steady I suppose...

So in Final Fantasy 12 (PS4 version) I've now gotten to the part right after defeating Judge Ghis and where you first have all six of your main characters.  All of them are at Level 15 and have at least 1000 License Points each.  So now it's time to choose License Boards for everyone and I was wondering if you could help me pick them?  I figure the first three are easy, use Vaan as the Knight (as he's your "quarterback", just like how in the first FF you should use the Warrior/Knight as your quarterback) and use Ashe and Penelo for your White/Black Mages (does it make any difference at all which one gets which?)...what jobs should the other three get and why?  I'm guessing it'll be a loooong time before I get to assign a second board for everyone...and yes I'm well aware you don't have to use all 12 boards but I insist that I do.  And I figure I should pick really carefully as once you pick the jobs/boards for everyone on the PS4 version it's black black, no trades back.  Especially considering it took me about 16:45-ish to get this far (had to do some grinding before Judge Ghis).  A few other questions:

1. I've heard that the difficulty in this game was toned down compared to the PS2 (boy was that game tough; you really had to do much old fashioned grinding for that one!  Just like I had to for Dragon Quest 7 on PS1)...exactly in what ways?

2. What's the earliest I can get the 2x Experience Point and 2x License Points accessories?  I imagine getting a complete set of six for each is absolutely vital.

EDIT: Okay I think I got the six jobs picked out for everyone...think I chose well with these?

Vann - Knight (your quarterback; just like what you'd pick for your quarterback for the first FF)

Ashe/Penelo - White/Black Mages (does it make any difference at all which one gets which?)

Fran - Time Mage (the job that emphasizes her signature weapon, bows/arrows)

Balthier - Machinist (the job that emphasizes his signature weapon, guns/pistols)

Basch - Monk (seeing as how he can only fight barehanded)

So that's four out of the "original six" Jobs from FF1...I was thinking the Red Mage should be Vann's second Job?

Edited by Estil

So I'm progressing through my PS3/PS4 games and I can totally see why people love collecting trophies so much...it is fun and gives you reason to go for small goals/things in games you might not otherwise think of or care about (especially in Wheel of Fortune/Jeopardy on PS3).  I'm now up to 65 Bronze, 8 Silver, and 5 Gold...the hardest one by far was in Wheel of Fortune where (I kid you not) I was able to solve a puzzle with only one letter revealed!  I seriously doubt I'll ever get a Platinum...and NO I am not going to get one of those "20 easiest games to get a Platinum" just for the sake of that sort of thing. 😛 

For right now I'm actively working on Wheel/Jeopardy on PS3, Final Fantasy X on PS3, and Final Fantasy 12 on PS4... and then I'd like to maybe work on FF X-2, the Final Fantasy 13 trilogy, and the two Kingdom Hearts Remixes on PS3.  As for PS4 the only other game I'm really wanting right now is Dragon Quest 11.

Edited by Estil

I've only gotten two platinum trophies.  Horizon Zero Dawn and MudRunner.  There are several other games where I have 100% of the trophies, but those games didn't offer a platinum.  I'm not big on trophy hunting, but for the two I mentioned earlier, I really enjoyed them enough to go for it all.  I would love to get a platinum trophy on Shadow of the Colossus, but the time trials kill me.

It's funny, I remember when trophies became a thing, and some games that were released before were patched to add them later.  

Some games required you start over from scratch with a new save (like Metal Gear Solid 4).  Other games could determine if you already completed the requirement and awarded the trophy immediately after the patch.  One example was Tomb Raider Underworld.  I remember playing that game after the patch, and ever few seconds another trophy would be awarded and this went on for a while until it finally caught up.  I had no idea what was happening at the time and I later learned what trophies actually were.  

On 2/13/2020 at 6:28 PM, PineappleLawnchair said:

Don't ever touch Witch and the Hundred Knight either, no matter what PS3 you try. That game will brick any of them.

I beat it and got the platinum on PS3, and my system is still fine. Now having said that, the game did crash like 10 times. It's a good game, so it sucks that they never fixed that, but I guess you can just play the PS4 version now so it no longer matters...

Administrator · Posted
12 minutes ago, Estil said:

Which one?

I almost forgot I should get the MegaMan Legacy Collections on PS4 at some point too!

All of em lol. I got pretty badly addicted to trophies and it's about all I cared about for a good 5-8 years. Almost killed gaming for me. 

I could go on and on, but my general advice is to just not take them seriously at all. If a game is great and you wanna get everything you can out of it I'd say go for it of course, but when you find yourself taking creepy photos of underage anime girls and tapping mayonnaise for a half hour for a platinum trophy, it may be time to take stock of your life. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

All of em lol. I got pretty badly addicted to trophies and it's about all I cared about for a good 5-8 years. Almost killed gaming for me. 

I could go on and on, but my general advice is to just not take them seriously at all. If a game is great and you wanna get everything you can out of it I'd say go for it of course, but when you find yourself taking creepy photos of underage anime girls and tapping mayonnaise for a half hour for a platinum trophy, it may be time to take stock of your life. 

LMAO

Truer words have never been spoken.

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, tbone3969 said:

LMAO

Truer words have never been spoken.

I wrote almost 100 trophy guides in my time. 

9 of which are about how to play Japanese games about taking photos and feeling creepy about it. 

I also wrote painfully in-depth step by step guides for both Hateful Boyfriend games. 

I was in DEEP. 

I played through MGS4 from start to finish probably close to a dozen times, but all of that was before the trophy patch, after after they made trophies available, I haven't played it again.  I'll bet I've done 99% of the requirements to get the trophies already, but you have to start from scratch to earn them.  😐