IGNORED

What 'crappy' game do you wish was good?

Nintegageo

3 hours ago, RH said:

I've never had the chance to play this game, but to me it just felt like it'd been a long time since Final Fantasy VIII, so it was about time to re-experience that travesty.

I really liked 8.  I preferred it to 9.  The whole drawing spells could be tedious but to me it was just a grinding thing which unlike most I don’t mind.  

XV had no story, the battle system basically consisted of mash X, and it was like an endless series of unremarkable fetch quests.   Never mind that the world seemed to just be 70% barren nothingness for the sake of size.

Chrono Cross could have been so good! It's such an example of trying to do way too much and what should have been a killer plot got muddy with a half asked tie in to trigger. The bridge to a great continuation was right there! They just had to cross it rather spend time trying to develop 20 Plus irrelevant characters.

Edited by Kguillemette
Autocorrect...

Events Team · Posted

I wish that Athena was a good game. You take the name of one of the coolest Goddess of Greek mythology and make it your title, and then you create this huge mess of game out of it? C'mon, show a little respect to the Gods!!!

That and I had this precious childhood memory of it being a nice little game that I enjoyed playing... oh boy was I wrong.

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted

It would be great if King's Knight (NES) was a better game. A multi-character medieval shoot-em-up is such a neat idea, but Square over-complicated it. The graphics and cover art are so enticing, so it's a shame that the gameplay just doesn't deliver.

-CasualCart 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CasualCart said:

It would be great if King's Knight (NES) was a better game. A multi-character medieval shoot-em-up is such a neat idea, but Square over-complicated it. The graphics and cover art are so enticing, so it's a shame that the gameplay just doesn't deliver.

-CasualCart 

I often refer to King’s knight as one of the worst game’s I have ever played. I’d rather play super pitfall.

Edited by skinnygrinny

On ‎2‎/‎11‎/‎2020 at 9:10 AM, Nintegageo said:

I really wish Swamp Thing on NES was better because it's such an underappreciated comic book character.

I think Swamp Thing is a great example to start the thread.

I will add:

Conan for the NES (which was a port of the PC game Myth: History in the Making). I actually enjoy playing the game, and if it were polished it could be a great game.

Times of Lore for the NES (which was also released for PCs). It has an Ultima feel and a nice open world atmosphere, but the gameplay is lackluster and it's too cryptic to play through.

Spider Man and Venom: Maximum Carnage

Everything about this game is cool but it's a dog to play and it's offensive that Spider Man and Venom have to punch random street thugs like 50 times just to knock them out. A punch from Spider Man is supposed to feel like a 60mph locomotive in the comics. This is also one of those brawlers where if your 2D sprite is not perfectly lined up with an enemy's 2D sprite then you make no contact. 

The X-Men 4-player arcade game is a good brawler, you actually feel like the characters are powerful like they are in the comics. I wish Maximum Carnage was more like this. 

• Like 1

I feel like every let down in the last few years I really sunk into it with some time has already been pulled, and then there was ActRaiser 2 mentioned really fast as the first is one of my all time favorite SNES unique titles.  To have AR2 get terrible control, generic stages, no sim, no battery, other little corners cut it was just awful.  A rare case I felt I bought a bad game in that decade.  The other being Skyward Sword mostly due to the terrible control and some really boring parts too, felt like so much lost potential.  I didn't like the 3DS Zelda LTTP sequel either, drove me nuts with some of those forced mechanics, it just bored me to no end.  Nostalgia didn't make it fun on that one at all.

Majora's Mask or as I call it Majora's Mistake would be the kind of crap games I wish wasn't.  I like the idea of it, skull kid and the mask are awesome, the premise seems nice.  The lack of coherent play, the god awful forced quick time crunch with so much stuff reset when time skipping, and other junk.  I really loathed all those nearly pointless mask fetch quests to pad out what was a small game with only 4 dungeons gave it an overall feeling of just slapped together with old assets, unused ideas, gap filler for a failing late in life N64 to hold out for the Cube preying on zelda fanboys/girls.

On 2/11/2020 at 8:59 AM, MegaMan52 said:

spyroetd.thumb.jpg.36dc54a245a8afa7e2ea9e58c7e1797c.jpg

I don't hate it, but it really could've used a few more months of development time. So far I have found over fifty glitches, several of which are game-breaking. Also, I've recently been informed that there are several more.

Not sure if anyone remembers my Spyro topic on NintendoAge, but I still consider this the glitchiest game ever made. Yes, even more glitchy than Action 52, Cheetahmen II, Big Rigs, and Sonic '06.

Considering the original team didn't make this I could see it being very buggy. 

21 hours ago, Californication said:

Borderlands - An easy, shmeezy, grindfest. Someone told me the game gets good when your on your third run because the games difficulty ramps up. F-#$$ that.

Borderlands is such trash. Grind copy paste kill and fetch quests in a desert landscape until you've done enough to get to the next desert landscape. I have no idea what anyone ever saw in it to get so popular. I have to imagine the sequels are much better and more varied. It must be like Assassin's Creed where the first game is inexplicably a smash hit despite being pretty repetitive and bad, but it led to more refined sequels.

On 2/11/2020 at 4:07 PM, Link said:

Skyward Sword

This is the best answer.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 2

I'd honestly have to say back to the future on NES.

Though to be fair...in my experience, if you play it on an nes emulator on MAME, or just using a MAME controller(arcade joystick and 6 button config) It gets a lot more fun...its weird.

I still wish it was better on an NES controller though...

(I first did this in about 2015 because work at the time had an arcade cabinet with an NES emulator, I basically configured the control config for the NES emulator, and played chip and dale, back to the future and journey to silius and games that I had growing up, and found that back to the future, was...honestly REALLY fun using an arcade cabinet control config and I had finished it maybe 3 times in a month over lunch)

Also Xenosaga II...

Its ok at best...But I found the magic system to be unintuitive, the music was ok, the combat system seemed like an pale imitation of Xenosaga 1 and I never finished it as a result 😞

Edited by kuriatsu

1 hour ago, TDIRunner said:

I know the gameplay is completely different, but Super PM is still pretty fun.

But I totally understand the frustration in the PM series never getting back to the original core concept.  

I'll give it to you that super pm was playable but they still took out the best part which was all the enemy battles. Sticker star was just ugggggghhh *shudders*