IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

41 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

But every time a person says things like "systemic racism doesn't exist" or "we should abolish affirmative action", they are moving that goal further and further away. It's detrimental to POC.

Give this a read to see how Affirmative Action can be/is actually detrimental to minorities:

https://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2012/10/the-painful-truth-about-affirmative-action/263122/

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Californication said:
7 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Certainly there are multiple factors, but Affirmative Action is definitely one of them. You have students being accepted into schools based on their skin color, even though they don't necessarily have the academic skills that put them on par with the majority of accepted students. It leads to overwhelming curriculum, exam failures and feelings of inadequacy that leads them to drop out. 

Lol. Feelings of inadequcy? You come up with some off the wall stuff. It couldn't be that they face more obstacles than their white counterparts as a whole. 

You don't think being accepted into a college that you're not academically prepared for causes feelings of inadequacy? You think those students are thrilled that they were accepted into a college that is teaching things beyond their current level? They were set up for a tough path from the jump, all in the name of "equality".

I'd love to hear what obstacles minority students have that their white counterparts don't when attending the same college. Specifically obstacles that impact their rate of graduation.

8 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

You don't think being accepted into a college that you're not academically prepared for causes feelings of inadequacy? You think those students are thrilled that they were accepted into a college that is teaching things beyond their current level? They were set up for a tough path from the jump, all in the name of "equality".

I'd love to hear what obstacles minority students have that their white counterparts don't when attending the same college. Specifically obstacles that impact their rate of graduation.

I think your premise is wrong from the beginning because you don't understand what affirmative action is and you don't understand how much easier white people as a whole have it. 

25 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Minority students are more likely to come from houses that have less wealth then white students because of structural racism. When a student has to worry about things like how they are going to pay for college, how they are going to eat, how their family's will pay the rent if they are not working they are more likely to drop out of college 

Edited by Californication
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Californication said:
15 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

I think your premise is wrong from the beginning because you don't understand what affirmative action is and you don't understand how much easier white people as a whole have it. 

I clearly do understand what Affirmative Action is and why it was implemented to begin with. Read that link I posted to understand why Affirmative Action can and does hurt minority students (and non-minority students). 

In your opinion, why does white people having it "easier as a whole" cause a disparity in college drop out rates in other races?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Silent Hill said:

I clearly do understand what Affirmative Action is and why it was implemented to begin with. Read that link I posted to understand why Affirmative Action can and does hurt minority students (and non-minority students). 

In your opinion, why does white people having it "easier as a whole" cause a disparity in college drop out rates in other races?

First off, white people have higher acceptance rates all else being equal. White people have had hundreds of years of preferential treatment to build intergenerational wealth that makes attending college more likely. White people don't get harassed by the police the same why minorities do and receive less punishment went sentenced as a whole, if someone is convicted of some crimes they are prevented from getting some grants for school. 

16 minutes ago, Californication said:
42 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Minority students are more likely to come from houses that have less wealth then white students because of structural racism. When a student has to worry about things like how they are going to pay for college, how they are going to eat, how their family's will pay the rent if they are not working they are more likely to drop out of college 

I can see how class can have an effect like that, but that affects all races. My entire point was how Affirmative Action can have a negative impact on minority students.

If two students (one white and one black) both came from the same class background, but the black student has a lower academic ability (compared to the white student) and was accepted due to Affirmative Action, would their drop out be due to their class or due to their lower academic ability?

PS: There is a shitload of academic grants for minorities to help address the class issue. 

Edited by Silent Hill
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Californication said:
14 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

First off, white people have higher acceptance rates all else being equal. White people have had hundreds of years of preferential treatment to build intergenerational wealth that makes attending college more likely. White people don't get harassed by the police the same why minorities do and receive less punishment went sentenced as a whole, if someone is convicted of some crimes they are prevented from getting some grants for school. 

I can't keep discussing this if you're going to start going down a rabbit hole of racism affecting college drop-out rates. We'll be here for days.

Blame whatever you want, but include Affirmative Action on that list for setting up underachieving students for failure. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

This is a terrible idea. Diversity absolutely should be considered when hiring. Diversity is one of the most important things a team of workers can have. It offers multiple perspectives and makes finding solutions to problems much easier. Considering diversity during the hiring process is a must IMO. I'd rather have a diverse team capable of making dynamic decisions than a team of 5 white guys who were all trained the same way and have the same mindset. 

This viewpoint makes sense to me I guess but it doesn't really change anything. If you wanna look at things in the perspective of "how far is the goal" instead of "racist or not racist", that's fine. But every time a person says things like "systemic racism doesn't exist" or "we should abolish affirmative action", they are moving that goal further and further away. It's detrimental to POC.

Diversity is a great thing if everyone is qualified. You know people don't have the same mindset just because they're a certain color right? There are many kinds of diversity too. It's not just race. 

1 hour ago, CodysGameRoom said:

What makes one qualified for a position? Simply numbers on a paper? Test scores? What about character? What about life experience? 

Everything. It depends what an employer is looking for and what is needed for the job. If you're a car salesman, a bright personality is probably far more valuable than a college degree. 

56 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

I understand the benefits of a diverse workforce, but I really hope you're not implying that all "white guys" have the same training background and thought process because of their skin color. Like somehow having white skin compromises your ability to think dynamically.

Exactly. Wtf are you smoking @CodysGameRoom

1 hour ago, Californication said:

That unqualified part just isn't true no matter how many times they repeat it on Fox news and other racist news networks.

White people get to attend college  at a higher rate than equally capable minorities that is the racist part of the system. How do some white people manage to complain as they are getting the better part of the deal. Up is down, black is white.

Silent Hill why do minorities drop out at a higher rate?

College attendance rates are much more complicated than simply oh whites go to college more than minorities. Ever think part of this is due to how expensive college is and not because of race? What about culture? Many Hispanics don't go to college because they need to take care of their family and have to immediately start working right after high school. 

Tons of scholarships are aimed only for minorities. It's actually very difficult for a white person, especially a white male to even find a scholarship they can apply for. 

26 minutes ago, Californication said:

Actually you don't understand affirmative action. No one is denying white people have it easier. What people are arguing is the fairness of affirmative action and how it should change. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

I can't keep discussing this if you're going to start going down a rabbit hole of racism affecting college drop-out rates. We'll be here for days.

Blame whatever you want, but include Affirmative Action on that list for setting up underachieving students for failure. 

So what you are saying is ya got nothing except those tired ass, lazy, racist talking points.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Californication said:

Give me a break man. Tons of white people struggle to pay for college and are crippled by massive debt literally for the rest of their life. 

2 minutes ago, Rhino said:

Give me a break man. Tons of white people struggle to pay for college and are crippled by massive debt literally for the rest of their life. 

I am not talking about individual white people. Individual people have it tough everywhere. Just like there are successful minorities who have an easier time getting an education.

Edited by Californication

2 minutes ago, Californication said:

So what you are saying is ya got nothing except those tired ass, lazy, racist talking points.

He's saying you need to get woke son. Super woke. Do your own research. He can't keep pounding info into your brain if you just choose to continually ignore it. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Californication said:
4 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

Please show me where I said anything racist... 

1 hour ago, Silent Hill said:

I really hope you're not implying that all "white guys" have the same training background and thought process because of their skin color.

Of course not. It was an example. 

11 minutes ago, Rhino said:

There are many kinds of diversity too. It's not just race. 

I'm not simply referring to race. Read what I quoted. You said to remove race, age, gender, etc. That's a terrible idea. Diversity needs to be considered during the hiring process.

14 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

I can't keep discussing this if you're going to start going down a rabbit hole of racism affecting college drop-out rates.

So you want to discuss how just some parts but not the whole? Then how can you get an accurate viewpoint? Everything needs to be considered and Californication is right about this. 

13 minutes ago, Rhino said:

Everything. It depends what an employer is looking for and what is needed for the job. If you're a car salesman, a bright personality is probably far more valuable than a college degree.

Exactly why your idea to remove all that stuff from an application is bad.

14 minutes ago, Rhino said:

Exactly. Wtf are you smoking @CodysGameRoom

Whatever I want 😉 

14 minutes ago, Rhino said:

No one is denying white people have it easier.

Yes they are. Silent Hill is denying systemic racism. He's literally in the comments right here denying what you say no one is denying, lol.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:
1 hour ago, Silent Hill said:

I really hope you're not implying that all "white guys" have the same training background and thought process because of their skin color.

Of course not. It was an example. 

An example of what exactly? An example that other races bring more to the table than a group of white people, just because of their skin color? Diverse minds are important, not skin color - skin color doesn't determine thought process.  How does your example sound when reversed?

"I'd rather have a diverse team capable of making dynamic decisions than a team of 5 minority guys who were all trained the same way and have the same mindset. "

33 minutes ago, Silent Hill said:

I can't keep discussing this if you're going to start going down a rabbit hole of racism affecting college drop-out rates.

So you want to discuss how just some parts but not the whole? Then how can you get an accurate viewpoint? Everything needs to be considered and Californication is right about this. 

When I am discussing Affirmative Action and the response is "well police harass minorities more...", then I'm not going to go down that deflection path. Instead of staying on topic on Affirmative Action and how it relates to drop out rates, he wanted to shift to legacy wealth and police harassment. If he were to provide some type of research on how those things actually impact college drop out rates, then maybe we'd have a discussion. Otherwise it just seems like bait to keep bickering until the end of time. 

30 minutes ago, Rhino said:

No one is denying white people have it easier.

Yes they are. Silent Hill is denying systemic racism. He's literally in the comments right here denying what you say no one is denying, lol.

I definitely have admitted that I don't personally see how systemic racism exists today. Not sure how that equates to me denying white people have it "easier", though I think its the cultural differences that provide the disparities between races. I've given plenty of statistics and studies to show why I think culture/class is more oppressive than the "system".  (ie. disparities between the same race, but different cultural backgrounds - black american vs. black immigrant)

Editorials Team · Posted

Anyone have any ideas for how you "defeat" the "radical left", as Trump put it?  Let's say that's anyone who doesn't approve of Trump, so anywhere between 50-60% of the country.  What's the game plan there?

Do such an amazing job running the country that you win them over?

Hammer blue states through any means possible until they...what, become red?

Anyone have any real strategy for the future of this country?  Any idea on the direction things need to go?  Any way to come together?  Any leadership whatsoever?  Anyone?  Bueller?

40 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:
44 minutes ago, Rhino said:

Man you're funny. If you think he's racist......wow

Denying systemic racism is perpetuating racism even if you aren't a racist.

To me, blaming disparities and unequal outcomes on racism, without supporting facts/evidence/research, is what perpetuates racial divide.