IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

9 minutes ago, cartman said:

in practise you really don't have much leeway when the mob brands you as an evil-doer.

Come on with this. Take the Kinder example. They aren't evil-doers because they produced the toy that was accidentally offensive. Someone said they were offended by it. They did the right thing, the thing that is DECENT TO DO when someone is bothered by something, stopped making it, apologized, and moved on.

If they said fuck off and kept producing it, then yea, they might be called "Evil-doers". It's about the actions and what someone does. One mistake, stop, apologize, move on? No problem. A pattern of racist comments, actions, and policies? Huge problem.

Edited by CodysGameRoom

3 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Come on with this. Take the Kinder example. They aren't evil-doers because they produced the toy that was accidentally offensive. Someone said they were offended by it. They did the right thing, the thing that is DECENT TO DO when someone is bothered by something, stopped making it, apologized, and moved on.

If they said fuck off and kept producing it, then yea, they might be called "Evil-doers". It's about the actions and what someone does. One mistake, stop, apologize, move on? No problem. A pattern of racist comments, actions, and policies? Huge problem.

No they didn't do the right thing she was on a mission to get offended and it succeeded on their tab.

9 minutes ago, cartman said:

Everything offends someone i mean if this is your treshehold there would be nothing left. I can't refute your opinion i mean it is what it is but this is total bullshit to me.

You're right, in that almost anything can be construed as offensive.  So, if you run into someone who is offended by something, don't do that thing to them.  Is common courtesy so hard?  Does being polite and kind ruin your day?  If we cannot agree on basic standards of treatment toward one another, then arguing the more complex issues of racism and governance is beyond the scope we should be aiming at here.

1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

Sound like how I feel about racism, and gay marriage. If you dont like someone because of their race, thats fine. Write about it your journal, or seethe in your front room about gays getting married. 

But as soon as you start affecting other people, Or as soon as the state is involved, thats another story. 

Maybe you didn't mean it this way, but I have no problem with people discussing differing opinions on racism and gays getting married.  I can tell by this thread alone we would agree on one topic and disagree on another.  That said, there is a time and place to have intelligent and careful discussion of some topics, and a public message board lacks some of the nuance that more delicate subjects require.  You actually have to be more open-minded on a board than face to face because the ability to misinterpret meaning and intent is high online, and it's also easy to vilify a person who is just a screen name and a wall of words.  

3 minutes ago, epiclotus said:

You're right, in that almost anything can be construed as offensive.  So, if you run into someone who is offended by something, don't do that thing to them.  Is common courtesy so hard?  Does being polite and kind ruin your day?  If we cannot agree on basic standards of treatment toward one another, then arguing the more complex issues of racism and governance is beyond the scope we should be aiming at here.

It wasn't done to her. She bought the chocolate egg that was widely distributed and felt the need to show everyone how incredibly progressive she is and collect those likes from other likeminded professional victims.

1 minute ago, cartman said:

It wasn't done to her. She bought the chocolate egg that was widely distributed and felt the need to show everyone how incredibly progressive she is and collect those likes from other likeminded professional victims.

I'm not trying to be cheeky here, but you come off as really bothered by this woman's actions.  Why does it matter if she and likeminded people chose to let a company know their toy was inadvertently a symbol of hate?  What is it to you?  Why does Kinder changing their toy matter?

1 minute ago, epiclotus said:

I'm not trying to be cheeky here, but you come off as really bothered by this woman's actions.  Why does it matter if she and likeminded people chose to let a company know their toy was inadvertently a symbol of hate?  What is it to you?  Why does Kinder changing their toy matter?

I don't like the cultural ramification and things i like will get affected too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cartman said:

I don't like the cultural ramification and things i like will get affected too.

Exactly. The incident in question is minor but it is also part of the reason why we now have a cancel culture.

1 minute ago, Hammerfestus said:

Why?  That’s not what it means and everyone including you knows that’s not what it means.

Because you always have to assume malice.

Edited by PineappleLawnchair
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Why?  That’s not what it means and everyone including you knows that’s not what it means.

Really?? I really have to explain to a grown ass adult why you shouldn't make a child's toy with the letters KKK on it??

spacer.png

I'm not even gonna bother, sorry. 🙄🙄🙄

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Hammerfestus said:

Nobody is arguing the intent of Kinder, but accidents happen and there can be unintended consequences by not removing such a product from the market.  I would be willing to be that while Kinder, as a corporate entity, was indifferent to the concerns of one particular woman's offense, they would be very concerned if their accident were co-opted by hate groups.  

4 minutes ago, PineappleLawnchair said:

Because you always have to assume malice.

Don’t think I agree with you buckaroo.  I’ve seen your responses.  I’m as contrarian as all get out but you’re a willfully ignorant POS.  Don’t even think of coopting my responses to hold up your leaky ship.

1 hour ago, cartman said:

Yeah all in theory. But in practise you really don't have much leeway when the mob brands you as an evil-doer. I mean you can stand your ground but your employer sacks you. Yes i know… you can say he has the right to to that or not take your business. But in practise there's a limit

Not really. In a free society, this can and does happen, because an employer should be allowed to make those decisions.

If you're getting branded as an evil-doer, maybe look at why they branded you instead of whining that you can't make offensive stuff.

1 hour ago, cartman said:

Yes Kinder is a company and they made the decision. So what? Yes they could've and should've kept producing in. But the whole thing is a symptom of a grander sickness that's what i was trying to say.

Or...

Society is finally expunging the vile behavior it used to do. You do know that disadvantaged groups have been killed, ostracized, and had all sorts of atrocities done to them over the centuries, right.

And now, you can't make an eggman with KKK on it today without people griping.

I'd say that that's progress. I can live without an eggman with KKK on it if it means, you know, no genocide.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

Not really. In a free society, this can and does happen, because an employer should be allowed to make those decisions.

If you're getting branded as an evil-doer, maybe look at why they branded you instead of whining that you can't make offensive stuff.

Or...

Society is finally expunging the vile behavior it used to do. You do know that disadvantaged groups have been killed, ostracized, and had all sorts of atrocities done to them over the centuries, right.

And now, you can't make an eggman with KKK on it today without people griping.

I'd say that that's progress. I can live without an eggman with KKK on it if it means, you know, no genocide.

Yes really. When the bar is set so incredibly low it has the same outcome. I gave some examples but really it can be a ton of similar things.

Yeah society is silencing people under the guise of being good themselves. Will it be progress tomorrow when you can't create a game/movie or play/watch it because someone is offended? Or if you yourself get hounded for wrongspeech? You think it's progress with a gazillion of special interest groups sitting around all day waiting to get ticked off and run a bullying campaign on someone or something. This is not about eggman.

• Like 2