IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

11 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

?? What are you ranting and raving about. It was about where the policy started and where the pictures came from. He specifically said kids in cages. 

You know, you're right, I did just say kids in cages.  That was my bad.  Zero tolerance is really the policy I should have referenced.  

In Quests defense, he’s not actually disputing the fact that trumps policy is/was terrible, just that the photo is from 2014.  Correct me if Im wrong. 

Kind of like when I posted all that evidence of his racism, people just dis credited the source instead of actually providing evidence of the contrary. 

• Like 3

I'm just a bystander but all this seems willfully one sided...

a bunch of people are providing evidence and one person is trolling, and they aren't even doing it very well...

I'm not going to name names but I think we all know who it is.

As long as this "trolling" continues then no resolution will be made.

edit: Then again, in hindsight...This entire syndicate that some call a government administration is a troll and a farce, and this country needs a resolution.

Edited by kuriatsu
  • Like 1

honestly, I don't believe in name calling, I believe that politics these days has devolved to name calling because of the puppet trump and his mob cronies.

If people genuinely believe in trumps policies, then there are no amounts of words or words themselves in any language that can display my disappointment.

not that anyone cares what I think mind you, but I'm very disappointed in this country these days.

edit: also epiclotus, I love the cat in your avatar.

Edited by kuriatsu
  • Like 2

New topic then! Trump is going to win. He has been staunchly pro 2nd Amendment and pro life. This is close to 40% of the National electorate all by itself. His supporters are very passionate and will turn out for him in droves. The democrats may crush him in CA and NY, but there is 48 other states, and he has a comfortable enough lead in enough of him where the political math vastly favors him in the electoral college.

There is one factor that needs to come in to play for the Democratic candidate to have a shot. The urban black population, who historically stays home on election day, needs to turn up and go blue in droves like they did in 08 and 12 for Obama. At the moment, there isnt any candidate that really fires and inspires them like Obama did. There is a chance that Bernie or Biden may pick up a higher margin than Hillary. The question is, will it be enough to flip the rust belt back to blue? 

My thoughts. Discuss.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

New topic then! Trump is going to win. He has been staunchly pro 2nd Amendment and pro life. This is close to 40% of the National electorate all by itself. His supporters are very passionate and will turn out for him in droves. The democrats may crush him in CA and NY, but there is 48 other states, and he has a comfortable enough lead in enough of him where the political math vastly favors him in the electoral college.

There is one factor that needs to come in to play for the Democratic candidate to have a shot. The urban black population, who historically stays home on election day, needs to turn up and go blue in droves like they did in 08 and 12 for Obama. At the moment, there isnt any candidate that really fires and inspires them like Obama did. There is a chance that Bernie or Biden may pick up a higher margin than Hillary. The question is, will it be enough to flip the rust belt back to blue? 

My thoughts. Discuss.

That's really not a new topic 😕

also I am highly doubtful that hes going to win with all that hes hurt and the voter changeup since he was (wrongfully) elected.

kuriatsu:  Thanks.  She was my sweetie.

Kguillemette:  To a certain extent, I am also pro 2nd Amendment and pro life, but I won't vote for Trump.  The problem is that there are too many people that are basing their vote on a handful of issues and what a candidate says about them, whether or not that candidate end up doing anything about it.  The Republicans had both the legislative and executive branch for two years, and they didn't do squat to change either of those issues.  The only thing of note they accomplished was a tax cut for the wealthy, which goes to show you where their true priorities lie.  

I might vote Democratic, but most Dems would shun me for my Catholic views.  My opinions on touchy subjects have nuance, but most people just respond to soundbites.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, epiclotus said:

kuriatsu:  Thanks.  She was my sweetie.

Kguillemette:  To a certain extent, I am also pro 2nd Amendment and pro life, but I won't vote for Trump.  The problem is that there are too many people that are basing their vote on a handful of issues and what a candidate says about them, whether or not that candidate end up doing anything about it.  The Republicans had both the legislative and executive branch for two years, and they didn't do squat to change either of those issues.  The only thing of note they accomplished was a tax cut for the wealthy, which goes to show you where their true priorities lie.  

I might vote Democratic, but most Dems would shun me for my Catholic views.  My opinions on touchy subjects have nuance, but most people just respond to soundbites.

Trump appointed and the legislature confirmed a vast number of pro life and pro second amendment judges, as well as a very strict constitutionalist justice to the Supreme Court in Gorsuch. I think that counts as doing lots for the movement. Some states now have some of the most restrictive abortion laws we have ever seen, and the judicial branch isn't questioning whether or not those laws are constitutional.

And If Ralph Northam's bill to restrict assault weapons were to pass, I have a strong hunch it would be challenged on appeals court. With so many judges having been appointed to the Appellate court that historically show restraint, it has a better than 50% chance to be shot down.

And you are right that it comes down to a few hot buttons and sound bites.  On the other hand, if Bernie were to pull through the nomination and be super pro NRA, 2nd Amendment, etc, he would probably flip enough rural voters to take down Trump. Fat chance of that happening though.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kguillemette said:

Trump appointed and the legislature confirmed a vast number of pro life and pro second amendment judges, as well as a very strict constitutionalist justice to the Supreme Court in Gorsuch. I think that counts as doing lots for the movement. Some states now have some of the most restrictive abortion laws we have ever seen, and the judicial branch isn't questioning whether or not those laws are constitutional.

That's a good point that I didn't consider, and while I have not followed the appointments particularly closely, the few that I have seen are horrifyingly unqualified.  It might be a bit conspiratorial of me, but I don't think most of those judges are primarily being put forward because of 2nd Amendment or pro-life stances.  I assume they are being placed there as corporate puppets to rule in favor of Republican backers.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, epiclotus said:

That's a good point that I didn't consider, and while I have not followed the appointments particularly closely, the few that I have seen are horrifyingly unqualified.  It might be a bit conspiratorial of me, but I don't think most of those judges are primarily being put forward because of 2nd Amendment or pro-life stances.  I assume they are being placed there as corporate puppets to rule in favor of Republican backers.

I do not disagree. The judicial branch has been used as a political weapon for some time. Republicans/McConnell have been much better at politics and lawmaking than democrats have this past decade. Why else would Obama issue tons of executive orders? The Senate would have turned him into a lame duck.

1 minute ago, MrWunderful said:

How do people feel about trumps appointment to the DNI?

And the fact that he has zero intelligence experience? Lol

I mean, I don't think I have felt good about any of Trump's appointments off the top of my head, but yeah.  Not great.  I caught some headlines that he's really unpopular with our EU allies, too, although I have to do followup reading on that.  It seems qualified people don't want to touch a position in Trump's administration, which is unfortunate.  It seems we're also losing a lot of career bureaucrats, too.  Those people are the real foundation of our government, and I don't want to think about what will happen when too many of the qualified people are out the door.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, epiclotus said:

I might vote Democratic, but most Dems would shun me for my Catholic views

I'm not so sure I agree. I feel like there is still quite a large crossover between religious folk and liberal folk. Yes, there's obviously the extreme religious right but, I have many religious friends and coworkers who are very socially liberal and will be voting so come November. 

Personally, I don't care what religion a politician is. I do think their religion should have as little to do as possible with their policy making. I think that is only fair if you are trying to represent all the people instead of a certain sect. But I also understand how religion would influence a persons ethics and views, and understand how complicated it can get.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Kguillemette said:

My thoughts. Discuss.

He's probably gonna win, despite having only 3 candidates(one of whom couldn't convince a single man despite sitting next to him for hours talking about their policies), the dems absolutely shattered apart, while Republicans, save for Ted and a few outliers, had like 8, yet still held unity when it came time to vote. Far as i can tell, Biden is just another Hillary, Bernie is just a meme and it remains to be seen whether his supporters would actually follow through on voting for him. Lets see, what are the rest, Buttgag or whatever his name is ultimately only there to fracture the dems further, and Bloomberg is actually racist, and the evidence for that is more concrete than hearsay and some vague comments made that don't directly refer to a particular race..

I don't know about the others, i think there was some guy named Yang, and a white woman LARPing as the "injuns", as she would call them.

7 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Kind of like when I posted all that evidence of his racism, people just dis credited the source instead of actually providing evidence of the contrary. 

Provide what evidence, your articles are either full of hearsay, vague comments that don't refer to any race, they discredit themselves.

Edited by PineappleLawnchair

9 minutes ago, PineappleLawnchair said:

He's probably gonna win, despite having only 3 candidates(one of whom couldn't convince a single man despite sitting next to him for hours talking about their policies), the dems absolutely shattered apart, while Republicans, save for Ted and a few outliers, had like 8, yet still held unity when it came time to vote. Far as i can tell, Biden is just another Hillary, Bernie is just a meme and it remains to be seen whether his supporters would actually follow through on voting for him. Lets see, what are the rest, Buttgag or whatever his name is ultimately only there to fracture the dems further, and Bloomberg is actually racist, and the evidence for that is more concrete than hearsay and some vague comments made that don't directly refer to a particular race..

I don't know about the others, i think there was some guy named Yang, and a white woman LARPing as the "injuns", as she would call them.

Provide what evidence, your articles are either full of hearsay, vague comments that don't refer to any race, they discredit themselves.

Troll attempt 2/10, you did get me to post links. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Why would he be appointed as that? Doesn't he already have a job? 

Because its prestigious. My opinion is its  also because Trump wants to dilute the fact that the intelligence community has come out and said russia is already  messing with the election in Trumps favor. Trump cant stand that, he wants to discredit anything that might point to his election being illegitimate.  

link

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/20/politics/trump-russia-intelligence-2020/index.html

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, MrWunderful said:

Because its prestigious. My opinion is its  also because Trump wants to dilute the fact that the intelligence community has come out and said russia is already  messing with the election in Trumps favor. Trump cant stand that, he wants to discredit anything that might point to his election being illegitimate.  

link

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/02/20/politics/trump-russia-intelligence-2020/index.html

No I get why he'd want it, but I don't get how he can be it. 

Can he just name himself manager of Tesco? Like, how does he get to up and be this other thing? 

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

No I get why he'd want it, but I don't get how he can be it. 

Can he just name himself manager of Tesco? Like, how does he get to up and be this other thing? 

Its a presidential appointment.  All the President has to say is “you are the guy now” (basically) 

They are supposed to be approved by congress, but Trump goes around that by naming them “acting”. Yes, its terrible.