IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

For instance, take the abortion issue off the table, and I suspect there are MANY so-called-republican-adherents that are at least willing to flip independent.

That issue alone as incredibly entrenched battle lines drawn that let either side run amok with all kind of other BS that are against their respective voters' best interests.

I'm independent and I consider myself socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I'm okay with people doing whatever they want if it doesn't bother anyone else, but I'm also in favor of having a strong economy and not giving handouts left and right.

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm independent and I consider myself socially liberal and fiscally conservative. I'm okay with people doing whatever they want if it doesn't bother anyone else, but I'm also in favor of having a strong economy and not giving handouts left and right.

I generally agree with that stance.  But the "socially liberal" part is what goofs it up on a couple of "wedge issues" where the policies where ACTUAL change is plausible get blocked.

Major "handouts" issue I'd disagree with is when it comes to healthcare, pragmatically recognizing that by the very nature of life-and-death not providing time to "shop around" as well as generally blocking rational financial decision making anyway, some kind of "universal" healthcare would solve a lot of problems.

Not the least of which is allowing small businesses to be more competitive with larger and mid-sized competitors since good-quality health insurance with a small buyer pool cranks their overhead costs through the roof compared to what very-large companies can negotiate for more-or-less the same demographic spread.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, arch_8ngel said:

I generally agree with that stance.  But the "socially liberal" part is what goofs it up on a couple of "wedge issues" where the policies where ACTUAL change is plausible get blocked.

Major "handouts" issue I'd disagree with is when it comes to healthcare, pragmatically recognizing that by the very nature of life-and-death not providing time to "shop around" as well as generally blocking rational financial decision making anyway, some kind of "universal" healthcare would solve a lot of problems.

Not the least of which is allowing small businesses to be more competitive with larger and mid-sized competitors since good-quality health insurance with a small buyer pool cranks their overhead costs through the roof compared to what very-large companies can negotiate for more-or-less the same demographic spread.

I don't have anything against universal healthcare. My main issue with handouts is giving money to people that don't feel like working because they get as much money as a minimum wage job to do nothing.

34 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

For instance, take the abortion issue off the table, and I suspect there are MANY so-called-republican-adherents that are at least willing to flip independent.

That issue alone as incredibly entrenched battle lines drawn that let either side run amok with all kind of other BS that are against their respective voters' best interests.

Yeah that's what I call the a-bomb of all issues.  I mean it does start with the same letter and I don't think you get a much more explosive issue than that as far as US politics goes.  And there are just as many if not more D's who would do the same if their party too took the issue off their platform.

I still think that issue is probably way too hot for this thread though. 😞 

17 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The Washington Redskins have settled on a new team name and logo.

[CLICKBAIT] 😛 

Oh nice clickbaiting! 😛  No really I was curious to see if indeed they took Emmitt Smith's idea of changing their official name to what's already their nickname or "for short" name, the Skins.  I mean nobody seemed to mind when AAA, AARP and I'm sure a few others did much the same.

That owner could've really saved himself a lot of needless PR grief...and with the above solution he'd still keep his word about "never changing the name" since that's what most fans call the team most of the time.  And the helmet can easily drop the Indian head and use a W and/or S in the same font/color as the "R" that was used on a previous logo...OR they could make the W look like the old Senators logo to give a shoutout to their old baseball team!

1 minute ago, Estil said:

Oh nice clickbaiting! 😛  No really I was curious to see if indeed they took Emmitt Smith's idea of changing their official name to what's already their nickname or "for short" name, the Skins.  I mean nobody seemed to mind when AAA, AARP and I'm sure a few others did much the same.

That owner could've really saved himself a lot of needless PR grief...and with the above solution he'd still keep his word about "never changing the name" since that's what most fans call the team most of the time.  And the helmet can easily drop the Indian head and use a W and/or S in the same font/color as the "R" that was used on a previous logo...OR they could make the W look like the old Senators logo to give a shoutout to their old baseball team!

Nike pulled their merch and FedEx is getting on them. Old white billionaires for social justice reform strike again!

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Nike pulled their merch and FedEx is getting on them. Old white billionaires for social justice reform strike again!

I'm telling ya, Emmitt Smith gave them a perfect solution on the name and I just gave a perfect solution about the helmet... 😛 

2 hours ago, OptOut said:

As a fairly neutral observer I think FCgamer, Estil and Tabonga have all made steps towards understanding and appreciating your position, even if not accepting or fully agreeing with it. But in return, you continue to push them and belittle their perspectives and concerns.

They have actually been very bold and brave in airing their opinions in a forum that is clearly mostly comprised of people who do not share their political leanings or worldview, and although I can't say I necessarily agree with a lot of what they have said, I definitely appreciate hearing opposing points of view.

Hey thanks for the kind words! 🙂  Though honestly I don't think just sitting on a couch typing on a keyboard is all that bold and brave...now if I actually went out in person holding a sign as a counter demonstrator (like I did in my UK days right before the Iraq War; mainly to show there's at least two sides to every issue; I didn't say a word (besides to answer a reporter's ?'s for which those peaceful anti-war people shouted at me to shut up even though I wasn't even talking to them!!), just held up the sign and a US flag in support of our President and our troops), now THAT might be bold and brave...or (depending on where I was at) most likely foolhardy or just plain nuts 😛

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Daniel Snyder went from not changing the name to

spacer.png

When the sponsors started pressuring him.

He doesn't HAVE the change the name, that's what I'm trying to tell ya!  Most fans call them the Skins anyway!  I mean isn't the football sometimes called the "pigskin"?

Edited by Estil

2 hours ago, OptOut said:

I thought we had pretty much broken through to a common sort of footing, finally, with a kind of live and let live attitude, agree to disagree kind of thing... But man Cody you just keep on pushing don't you?

As a fairly neutral observer I think FCgamer, Estil and Tabonga have all made steps towards understanding and appreciating your position, even if not accepting or fully agreeing with it. But in return, you continue to push them and belittle their perspectives and concerns.

They have actually been very bold and brave in airing their opinions in a forum that is clearly mostly comprised of people who do not share their political leanings or worldview, and although I can't say I necessarily agree with a lot of what they have said, I definitely appreciate hearing opposing points of view.

You know, I have a background in Sociology, I originate from a country with a robust social welfare system and nationalised medicine, I am way on the left side of most social and personal issues politically. I don't often talk about this, but I am also LGBTQ spectrum.

But I no longer have the confidence to fully espouse my own political beliefs, for fear of criticism. And the saddest thing is, it is NOT due to the criticism of the people who might be called my political opposition... those to the right. It's fear of those I would find myself aligned with, as someone relatively socially progressive. Allies who I have seen turn on each other and themselves, and who would not blink before castigating ME if I were to talk out of line or perhaps not follow a certain train of thought quite as far as they think I should.

I have opted out of politics and sharing my voice in this field, and I don't mean to specifically call you out Cody for anything in particular you have said or done to spook me in THIS thread... The damage was done a long time ago I'm afraid. But the WAY you have been talking, especially something about just the last couple of posts after we ALMOST found just a hint of commonality...

Well... I GUESS you got this long ass rambling post out of me, so well done bravo I guess.

Well said. @CodysGameRoom has been an ass throughout most of this. I too don't talk about my political beliefs. All it leads to is drama, shouting, arguing, etc. People just can't have a sane political discussion. I'll post a valid point and immediately be called racist or whatever because it doesn't align with someone else's opinion. 

On 7/1/2020 at 10:37 AM, Tabonga said:

Another related story came to light late Monday - three Aurora police officers "re-enacted" the death via some mocking pictures (taken at the scene of the event). They distributed those pictures to some other officers and at least one of them had the integrity to report it.  The three officers are on administrative leave and the matter is under investigation (which by all accounts should be done fairly quickly (as such things go.))

Another update - the other two officers involved in this were fired.  A fourth officer was also fired who was involved in the initial incident.  He  was also fired  - not for the initial incident  but because he received the pictures and did not report it. He also made an inappropriate response to the person that sent him the pictures.

5 minutes ago, Link said:

This is all good news. 

I hope in the future, the police license idea gets instituted so guys who do things like this can’t get police work in another jurisdiction.

From the article I read the one that resigned cannot work in another police department in Colorado.  I assume the same is true for the other two.  Not sure on the fourth - but if that is not true yet it will likely be true once the main incident is resolved.

Sadly there are two small municipalities in the metro area that are notorious for hiring problematic officers from other departments.  I try to avoid traveling through those municipalities - both have reputations for pulling people over for being over the speed limit by a few miles or other minor  pretexts - mostly I assume to garner revenue from the citizenry.

Administrator · Posted
4 hours ago, Rhino said:

Well said. @CodysGameRoom has been an ass throughout most of this. I too don't talk about my political beliefs. All it leads to is drama, shouting, arguing, etc. People just can't have a sane political discussion. I'll post a valid point and immediately be called racist or whatever because it doesn't align with someone else's opinion. 

Nobody is going to come at a discussion with you in a "sane" way if you pop in and call them an "ass" out of nowhere.

Please refrain from making personal attacks like that or warnings will be given out.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rhino said:

@CodysGameRoom has been an ass throughout most of this.

Sorry, the media told me to be an ass so I'm just blindly following whatever they say. My bad!

4 hours ago, Rhino said:

I too don't talk about my political beliefs.

*Reads the title of the thread*   I think you might be lost then. Why are you coming into the politics thread and complaining about people discussing politics?

4 hours ago, Rhino said:

All it leads to is drama, shouting, arguing, etc. People just can't have a sane political discussion.

There has been plenty of interesting and level headed discourse in this thread. 

4 hours ago, Rhino said:

I'll post a valid point and immediately be called racist or whatever because it doesn't align with someone else's opinion. 

Has that happened to you in this thread? I doubt it. I mean I could be wrong. Or are you speaking about elsewhere? The only thing I saw you get called out for is coming in and telling all of us to get educated and have a brain. Which, if you ask me, is a pretty "ass" move. But hey, it's just my opinion.

Listen, I get it. I get passionate about what I believe in and it can at times come across abrasive. I know some people can't handle that or don't like it. But this is the politics/current event thread. If you don't like it, then you don't have to respond. FCGamer, Estil, and others have stopped responding to me when I quote them and offer my two cents. And that's fine. As I said before, I'll continue to offer my opinions in this thread unless I am asked not to or told that I am no longer welcome. I don't think I've done anything wrong. I've been a little heated at times, which I was warned about, and complied. Others have gotten heated here as well, and cooled their jets too when mods called it out. It kind of comes with the subject matter.

• Haha 1

For those who want this thread to stay open, which I suspect is a small minority of the forum at this point, feel fortunate that @gloves got here first. 

This single thread has received more moderator reports for behavior than every other thread on the site combined. Stop it!! Everyone is sick of it.

• Like 2
  • Wow! 1

I'm sorry @CodysGameRoom like I said I wasn't exactly trying to call you out, or try to prevent you from airing your opinions. I guess your forceful language and style of argument just reminded me a lot of why I don't join in on a lot of the specifics of these sorts of debates anymore.

One thing in particular I guess irked me tho, perhaps. When you were talking about confronting prejudice, which yeah I get that of course I've done that myself in the past and even destroyed friendships doing it in my youth.

But I was wondering if you acknowledge the extent of your own prejudices just as much, and whether that consideration extends beyond racial and ethnic prejudices to others you may be prejudiced against INCLUDING people who are opposed to you politically.

Because I've seen some pretty prejudiced language coming from you with regards to certain people, old conservatives who you would rather age out of the population, and to people with rightwing viewpoints in particular.

I'm not asking you to defend those stances again, we've already heard what you have to say on that, but do you ever consider THESE people in any terms more than their political ideologies? You language in dismissing them throughout this thread I have personally found rather distasteful.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gloves said:

Nobody is going to come at a discussion with you in a "sane" way if you pop in and call them an "ass" out of nowhere.

Please refrain from making personal attacks like that or warnings will be given out.

I'm simply saying what @OptOut wanted to say. I will refrain my language in the future.