IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

The roles went to actors who voiced multiple other characters early in the show's lifespan, likely to save money. I think the Simpsons and Family Guy are doing okay now and can handle expanding their talent roster.

But that's beside the point. They are pressured to find minority actors regardless of why they didn't before.

It's not a quality-based issue where the current actors were denounced for being a financially motivated choice they were denounced for being white.

22 minutes ago, cartman said:

A voice actor you never even see or know about unless you make an active effort to do so the person is not intertwined with the medium in a full sense.

Sure they are. We easily know who is voicing what nowadays. Entire fandoms are built around voice actors. They can be as big as any other celeb.

Edited by Tulpa

Just now, cartman said:

No it is not. Voice is much more fiction than the face is and a cartoon is more fiction that movies or theatre.

So if a white dude affected a "ching-chong" accent for an asian, that's not offensive? Of course you saw nothing wrong with Trudeau in actual physical blackface at first.

Sorry, minstrel shows went out with the early 20th century.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

Sure they are. We easily know who is voicing what nowadays. Entire fandoms are built around voice actors. They can be as big as any other celeb.

Because you search it up or other people inform you. But it's not neccessary for the viewing experience.

Just now, Tulpa said:

So if a white dude affected a "ching-chong" accent for an asian, that's not offensive? Of course you saw nothing wrong with Trudeau in actual physical blackface at first.

Sorry, minstrel shows went out with the early 20th century.

I don't think people should be hounded over fictional characters period and even less so on cartoon ones.

6 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

If th

No it's not wrong. That's why Apu doesn't speak without a dialect because without the quirk there is no character. Every character must have a quirk and in Simpsons there's a ton of them that are not so good personality traits. You can dislike a stereotype but you can't take it out and still retain that particular comedic effect they are mutually exclusive.

Look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyjhiLm7d4I

Edited by cartman

9 minutes ago, cartman said:

But that's beside the point. They are pressured to find minority actors regardless of why they didn't before.

It's not a quality-based issue where the current actors were denounced for being a financially motivated choice they were denounced for being white.

White guys acting out a stereotype? That should have been an issue earlier on. It wasn't then, but now it is, so why not replace them with non stereotypical voice actors?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

White guys acting out a stereotype? That should have been an issue earlier on. It wasn't then, but now it is, so why not replace them with non stereotypical voice actors?

It was and should be a non-issue. The character is a stereotype regardless of who voices him that's how he is written.

Edited by cartman

6 minutes ago, cartman said:

No it's not wrong. That's why Apu doesn't speak without a dialect because without the quirk there is no character. Every character must have a quirk and in Simpsons there's a ton of them that are not so good personality traits. You can dislike a stereotype but you can't take it out and still retain that particular comedic effect they are mutually exclusive.

Apu's dialect is an exaggerated Indian accent. Most Indians don't talk like that, and I've employed dozens over the years. Because you get a white dude who hasn't lived in India, you get a stereotypical accent. You can hire an Indian guy who sounds like an actual Indian guy and still have a funny character.

If your character is relying on stereotype quirks for their main area of comedy, it isn't good comedy. If you think it is, raise your fucking standards, because your comedy standards are garbage. There's plenty of ways to do comedy without relying on making an entire culture a punchline.

Stereotypes absolutely are damaging. They cause people to assume entire cultures are weird quirks. I'm against making people of other cultures feel like shit.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, cartman said:

Look at this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyjhiLm7d4I

Does this sound ridiculous? Sure it does. That's basically what a white person voicing an ethnic character sounds like.

• Like 2

Apu's dialect is an exaggerated Indian accent. Most Indians don't talk like that, and I've employed dozens over the years. Because you get a white dude who hasn't lived in India, you get a stereotypical accent.

If your character is relying on stereotype quirks for their main area of comedy, it isn't good comedy. If you think it is, raise your fucking standards, because your comedy standards are garbage.

Stereotypes absolutely are damaging. They cause people to assume entire cultures are weird quirks. I'm against making people of other cultures feel like shit.

It doesn't matter what % talk like it it matters whether it's funny. 

It is funny. A lot of people think it is and those who don't can just not watch as opposed to enforcing their tastes and morals on others.

Without the stereotypes you lose out on the comedy. That's the reality of it.

10 minutes ago, cartman said:

It doesn't matter what % talk like it it matters whether it's funny. 

It's not.

Apu is funny because he gets into funny situations. His accent is the least funny thing about him. And to actual Indians, his accent's generally seen as offensive.

It is funny. A lot of people think it is and those who don't can just not watch as opposed to enforcing their tastes and morals on others.

Or we could call out offensive behavior instead of perpetuating it. Apu having eight babies is funny. Apu's accent is not funny. 

Without the stereotypes you lose out on the comedy. That's the reality of it.

Stereotypes are not the end all of comedy. In fact, they suck as comedy.

Again, your comedy standards are garbage if you think that we need those in 2020.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 1

It's not.

Apu is funny because he gets into funny situations. His accent is the least funny thing about him. And to actual Indians, he's generally seen as offensive.

Or we could call out offensive behavior instead of perpetuating it. Apu having eight babies is funny. Apu's accent is not funny. 

Stereotypes are not the end all of comedy. In fact, they suck as comedy.

Again, your comedy standards are garbage if you think that we need those in 2020.

It's only your subjective opinions you can't speak for others. Dialects clearly are a strain of comedy and offensive things are a strain of comedy aswell these are the facts. And censorship self-inflicted or otherwise is the biggest enemy of comedy period wich is what your mindset helps to endorse.

5 minutes ago, cartman said:

It's only your subjective opinions you can't speak for others.

Plenty of others share my opinion.

The majority aren't letting a bunch of SJWs dictate things. There's no cabal of people deeming something offensive. The majority are the ones who are actually affecting change in this world. If they didn't have the majority behind them, then the people changing things wouldn't be able to get shit done.

Like it or leave it, the world is shedding the offensive things. Slowly, but it is happening.

Dialects clearly are a strain of comedy and offensive things are a strain of comedy aswell these are the facts.

Blackface was a strain of comedy. You don't see that much anymore. Fake exaggerated dialects are on their way out, and it's about fucking time. They're vocal equivalents of blackface.

And censorship self-inflicted or otherwise is the biggest enemy of comedy period wich is what your mindset helps to endorse.

There are plenty of things to make fun of in this world that don't involve dehumanizing people or causing others to view them as stereotypes.

If you think that type of comedy is still needed in 2020, that says more about you than the state of comedy.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 3

Just now, Tulpa said:

Plenty of others share my opinion.

The majority aren't letting a bunch of SJWs dictate things. There's no cabal of people deeming something offensive. The majority are the ones who are actually affecting change in this world.

Blackface was a strain of comedy. You don't see that much anymore. Fake exaggerated dialects are on their way out, and it's about fucking time. They're vocal equivalents of blackface.

There are plenty of things to make fun of in this world that don't involve dehumanizing people or causing others to view them as stereotypes.

If you think that type of comedy is still needed in 2020, that says more about you than the state of comedy.

The SJW are dictating things and actively dismantling both free speech and artistic creativity. Cabal? There doesn't have to be. They've already laid the foundation of getting offended by everything and using it to fuel their ideological goals.

Yeah when you get to dictate the terms and enforce yourself upon others then it's "about time". Ofcourse it is. The social purge done in the name of good it's not like we've even seen that turn bad. It's people who agree with you that should decide what's needed for everyone else right?

The SJW are dictating things and actively dismantling both free speech and artistic creativity. Cabal? There doesn't have to be. They've already laid the foundation of getting offended by everything and using it to fuel their ideological goals.

Then just about everyone out there is a SJW. Why not join the winning team? 😛

Seriously, this was a long fucking time coming. The world isn't a monolith culture. The majority isn't white dudes, it's many different people. Everyone is getting a chance at a voice now, not just those who used to be in charge. That's the only difference.

Yeah when you get to dictate the terms and enforce yourself upon others then it's "about time". Ofcourse it is. The social purge done in the name of good it's not like we've even seen that turn bad. It's people who agree with you that should decide what's needed for everyone else right?

Social purge? It's cleaning up offensive stereotypes.

You're not going to get tossed into a gas chamber because you like racist jokes. You just won't be able to tell them in polite society, aka, society.

Edited by Tulpa

Just now, Tulpa said:

Then just about everyone out there is a SJW. Why not join the winning team? 😛

Social purge? It's cleaning up offensive stereotypes.

You're not going to get tossed into a gas chamber because you like racist jokes. You just won't be able to tell them in polite society, aka, society.

A winning team that runs on dogma and actively seeks to actively stifle even the slightest dissention be it artistic or political one - i'm good. We wouldn't even be playing a lot of video games that we play now if people with your mentality got to enforce themselves. Just replace racism with violence for example.

Here's an example:

Despite confirmation in February 2008 that the Australian version of Grand Theft Auto IV would not be edited,[18] Rockstar later revealed that some features would be censored. The game was assigned an MA15+ rating on 11 December 2007. Rockstar stated that a special version of the game was produced to comply with the Australian classification system.[19] Features censored in the Australian versions include: the inability to select a "service" when hiring a prostitute, and the restriction of animation and camera angles; the lack of blood pools and bloody footprints; the replacement of bullet wounds and blood patches with "slight discolouration".[20] For the game's PC release, the uncensored version of the game was awarded MA15+ in Australia.[21] Following the release of The Lost and Damned, Rockstar distributed a patch which uncensored the Australian release for consoles.[22]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_surrounding_Grand_Theft_Auto_IV

Man what an awesome prospect to play a morally conscious GTA. Still plenty of things to do in a post-2020 GTA we don't need "that type of game" that the older installments used to thrive on crime and violence that sends the wrong message.

4 minutes ago, cartman said:

A winning team that runs on dogma and actively seeks to actively stifle even the slightest dissention be it artistic or political one - i'm good.

See you on the wrong side of history, then.

We wouldn't even be playing a lot of video games that we play now if people with your mentality got to enforce themselves. Just replace racism with violence for example.

Here's an example:

Despite confirmation in February 2008 that the Australian version of Grand Theft Auto IV would not be edited,[18] Rockstar later revealed that some features would be censored. The game was assigned an MA15+ rating on 11 December 2007. Rockstar stated that a special version of the game was produced to comply with the Australian classification system.[19] Features censored in the Australian versions include: the inability to select a "service" when hiring a prostitute, and the restriction of animation and camera angles; the lack of blood pools and bloody footprints; the replacement of bullet wounds and blood patches with "slight discolouration".[20] For the game's PC release, the uncensored version of the game was awarded MA15+ in Australia.[21] Following the release of The Lost and Damned, Rockstar distributed a patch which uncensored the Australian release for consoles.[22]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Controversies_surrounding_Grand_Theft_Auto_IV

Man what an awesome prospect to play a morally conscious GTA. Still plenty of things to do in a post-2020 GTA we don't need "that type of game" that the older installments used to thrive on crime and violence that sends the wrong message.

And that's a company deciding to provide alternate versions of their games in response to specific markets. You can still uncensor the game in that market if you chose to do so.

A far cry from getting rid of an offensive stereotype.

All you social justice woke warriors are losing your f*cking minds with all this crap. Chess racist? How? The game was invented 1500 years ago in India. Racist because white pieces go first? Give me a break. It's getting ridiculous. The media wants you to stay divided so you keep backing the party they support. 

https://au.news.yahoo.com/debate-erupts-over-chess-rules-black-white-abc-interview-063723932.html

Edited by Rhino

1 hour ago, cartman said:

Just replace racism with violence

Violence isn't racism though... your analogy doesn't equate.

29 minutes ago, Rhino said:

The media wants you to stay divided so you keep backing the party they support. 

I can assure you that the media or my political leaning has absolutely zero to do with my stance on racism. I feel like that probably goes for a lot of others in this thread too but I won't speak for them.

But hey, thanks for bringing a little enjoyment back to this thread for me! Crazy people going off the rails was the original reason this thread used to be so fun!

Edited by CodysGameRoom

13 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Violence isn't racism though... your analogy doesn't equate.

I can assure you that the media or my political leaning has absolutely zero to do with my stance on racism. I feel like that probably goes for a lot of others in this thread too but I won't speak for them.

But hey, thanks for bringing a little enjoyment back to this thread for me! Crazy people going off the rails was the original reason this thread used to be so fun!

Do you think chess is racist?

• Haha 1