IGNORED

General Current Events/Political Discussion

MrWunderful

18 minutes ago, cartman said:

If that is the case the creator already is free to employ them as it is so there is no issue. Must he reach the conclusion that someone else subjectively thinks that he should?

You mean having people play the race they actually are instead of playing what is essentially vocal blackface?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I don't see why he couldn't do a better job at playing a character of his own race over a white guy. That's my argument.

Is it not better to just let the creator decide for himself and take the fail upon himself if it fails? Seems like a much better solution to me.

2 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

So potential failure > than potential improvement? Why would you choose failure?

He doesn't have to choose failure just as Cleveland and Apu have shown us and countless other characters. You're the one insisting on non-ethnic = not good.

Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

Not at all. I'm insisting that ethnic might be better.

Well it might be. But there's no reason to crusade on already existing good ones that are not ethnic wich is what has been happening. This is not a quality control issue at heart but peoples racial agendas let's not kid ourselves. If the show or movie was merely shitty they'd probably just turn off the TV or bitch a little on how much it sucked but now they're running a social justice crusade instead wich a whole other thing.

3 minutes ago, cartman said:

Well it might be. But there's no reason to crusade on already existing good ones that are not ethnic wich is what has been happening. This is not a quality control issue at heart but peoples racial agendas let's not kid ourselves. If the show or movie was merely shitty they'd probably just turn off the TV or bitch a little on how much it sucked but now they're running a social justice crusade instead wich a whole other thing.

Both voice actors for Cleveland and Apu stepped down and need replaced anyway, so why not see if anyone that represents the characters can do an even better job?

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Both voice actors for Cleveland and Apu stepped down and need replaced anyway, so why not see if anyone that represents the characters can do an even better job?

They stepped down on some SJW shit it wasn't just that they felt done with the characters from an artistic standpoint. If they should find new voice actors they should try being unbiased but now more than ever they won't be they'll fill up that token guy space by all costs. It doesn't mean that the minority actor won't be good but if they were faced with a situation where nobody was... yeah they'd fill that position up with whatever they can get.

1 minute ago, cartman said:

They stepped down on some SJW shit it wasn't just that they felt done with the characters from an artistic standpoint. If they should find new voice actors they should try being unbiased but now more than ever they won't be they'll fill up that token guy space by all costs. It doesn't mean that the minority actor won't be good but if they were faced with a situation where nobody was... yeah they'd fill that position up with whatever they can get.

They stepped down so the jobs need filled. It's worth giving ethnic voice actors a chance. If it was a money issue, I'm guessing that they would take less for the opportunity to get their foot in the door for even more work.

1 minute ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

They stepped down so the jobs need filled. It's worth giving ethnic voice actors a chance. If it was a money issue, I'm guessing that they would take less for the opportunity to get their foot in the door for even more work.

They should get the chance but they shouldn't have positive bias wich they 100% will now. 

52 minutes ago, cartman said:

The character is fictional it has no resemblance to blackface.

Blackface (or yellowface or redface) is posing as another race by whatever means. Fictional or non-fictional, it's the same thing.

Edited by Tulpa
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, cartman said:

Did you ever consider that they thought about it and said "hmm. Yea, I can see how that might not be sending the right message. Let's do what is right for ALL our fans and make the change." 🤔

1 minute ago, Tulpa said:

Blackface (or yelloface or redface) is posing as another race by whatever means. Fictional or non-fictional, it's the same thing.

It's not the same. Voiceacting is always fictional in the way that a person on a stage or movie set isn't. It's a much bigger departure from reality with a unique set of expectations.

A fight in a movie and a cartoon aren't the same either altough both are unrealistic to an extent. But with a cartoon it's full-on makebelieve while a movie can and does include real people.

A voice actor you never even see or know about unless you make an active effort to do so the person is not intertwined with the medium in a full sense.

7 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Maybe we will get more authentic ethnic characters instead of ones that sound like a white guy doing a stereotypical voice.

Or maybe you'll get shitty ones with the only thing going for them being that they fulfill an identity politics objective.

12 minutes ago, CodysGameRoom said:

Did you ever consider that they thought about it and said "hmm. Yea, I can see how that might not be sending the right message. Let's do what is right for ALL our fans and make the change." 🤔

Who said it's right for "all" the fans? It is a fraction that has dictated their own subjective sensibilities and gotten their way.

2 minutes ago, cartman said:

They always had that chance. But now they'll be pressured to.

The roles went to actors who voiced multiple other characters early in the show's lifespan, likely to save money. I think the Simpsons and Family Guy are doing okay now and can handle expanding their talent roster.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, cartman said:

It's not the same. Voiceacting is always fictional in the way that a person on a stage or movie set isn't. It's a much bigger departure from reality with a unique set of expectations.

A white dude doing jive talk is vocal blackface. I don't care if you can't see his actual face.