IGNORED

My pride and joy.. Neo Geo AES collection :)

jumpman1229

On 2/9/2020 at 7:52 PM, jumpman1229 said:

Nope. There are 148 of them but 70% of them are fighting games. I do enjoy a good fighting game, but not THAT much

Same here.  I've got 30 legit carts and that 161 multi, and fighting you won't find much on my shelf at all.  There's Garou MOTW, World Heroes, Samurai Shodown 3, and Last Blade - that's it.  The rest are all run and gun, adventure/platformers, some puzzle and sports games, and some shooters as well.  Everyone thanks to the huge fanboy pool have been confused into thinking Neo Geo is nothing but fighting and metal slug, there's far more diversity if you look and a lot of it amazing.

• Like 2

I don't even want to search how much these cost now.  SNK made some great arcade games back in the 90s no doubt . I have a handful of them on my Atgames Legends, some I've never tried before like Super Sidekicks and Ninja Commando.  Baseball Stars 2 is one of my favorites too.  What are some of your favorites dude?

41 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

If you want to get a quit vomit check, I have 3 games for you to want to taste your last meal or two over -- Metal Slug, Metal Slug X, and Neo Turf Masters.

The easy story of it, you can buy a car for less, and I don't mean from a junk yard or salvage title.

Lol great selections there but I would swap Metal Slug X for Ninja Masters, Stakes Winner or Metal Slug 2 and you would be riding in luxury! 

15 hours ago, ErickRPG said:

I don't even want to search how much these cost now.  SNK made some great arcade games back in the 90s no doubt . I have a handful of them on my Atgames Legends, some I've never tried before like Super Sidekicks and Ninja Commando.  Baseball Stars 2 is one of my favorites too.  What are some of your favorites dude?

My favorites are easily Windjammers (especially with friends), Metal Slug 3, NAM-1975, Spinmaster, Mutation Nation and Last Resort

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

If you want to get a quit vomit check, I have 3 games for you to want to taste your last meal or two over -- Metal Slug, Metal Slug X, and Neo Turf Masters.

The easy story of it, you can buy a car for less, and I don't mean from a junk yard or salvage title.

He's not kidding. a US Metal Slug 1 is like $20,000 alone

I copied and pasted all games listed here into an Excel spreadsheet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Neo_Geo_games

Apparently, there are 156 officially released Neo Geo games in total. Doing a quick ctrl + F and searching for "fighting" in the genre column yielded 57 results. So I guess you could say that ~37% (57/156) of the library are fighting games. I will tell ya, it sure does seem like a hell of a lot more than that when you're collecting. It seems like that's the majority of the games you stumble upon for sale when looking for Neo Geo games.

17 minutes ago, jumpman1229 said:

I copied and pasted all games listed here into an Excel spreadsheet. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Neo_Geo_games

Apparently, there are 156 officially released Neo Geo games in total. Doing a quick ctrl + F and searching for "fighting" in the genre column yielded 57 results. So I guess you could say that ~37% (57/156) of the library are fighting games. I will tell ya, it sure does seem like a hell of a lot more than that when you're collecting. It seems like that's the majority of the games you stumble upon for sale when looking for Neo Geo games.

That was the same spreadsheet I was using last night.  But I only came up with 53 games which is why I said almost exactly 1/3 (33.9%).  

Not that it matters of course, but I'm curious which extra 4 you were counting.

Edit:  It looks like at least one fighter gets counted under "compilation" which I wasn't looking at earlier. 

Edited by TDIRunner

6 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

That was the same spreadsheet I was using last night.  But I only came up with 53 games which is why I said almost exactly 1/3 (33.9%).  

Not that it matters of course, but I'm curious which extra 4 you were counting.

Edit:  It looks like at least one fighter gets counted under "compilation" which I wasn't looking at earlier. 

I didn't look over that hard, but I'm guessing the Art of Fighting games got counted twice for name and genre

Yeah I'd have guessed probably half or maybe just over. Like the KOF series alone makes out like 10 of those 53 games. 1/3 is still a lot, but it still means there's nearly a 100 non-fighting games on the platform.

That said, a lot of the better games on Neo Geo are definitely fighters. There's a lot of other games of various genres that are very uninteresting (like horse betting games...), but even then I'd agree with @Tanooki that there's a lot of really fun variation on the platform.

The Metal Slug series goes without saying. Namely the original trilogy before SNK messed up, absolute classics, and incredibly well designed.
There are a few other good action platformers. I think Spinmaster, Top Hunter, Blue's Journey and even Magician Lord belong in every Neo Geo collection. And some Bubble Bobble like arena platformers like Nightmare In The Dark and Zupapa. At least the latter is a lot of fun, and very fast paced.

There are a lot of interesting puzzle games for people into that stuff, with the major players of course being Puzzle Bobble 1 and 2, but Magical Drop and Money Puzzle Exchanger are absolutely worth playing IMO. There are also some other funny weird ones like Panic Bomber, Puzzled, Gururin, and Puzzle De Pon.

Not counting homebrew, shooters are sadly underrepresented (considering the era in arcades), and most of the one that are there aren't very good. Yet Blazing Star and Pulstar are amazing games. In fact, some of my favourites in the genre - pretty much worth the admission of a Neo-Geo alone.
And at least the first Shock Troopers is a very good representative of top-down run-n-gun, even if the second game isn't as great.

A few interesting beat'em ups, the Sengoku series is probably the go-to choice, but Robo Army or Mutation Nation aren't awful, and Eightman is at least a lot of fun. Obviously Neo-Geo really pales compared to CPS2 in this regard.

There are a ton of sports games, with top-down racing and soccer being very well represented. That kind of genre doesn't do a whole lot for me, but it's always fun to have drunk Goal! Goal! Goal! tournaments. I heard people speaking favourably of some bowling or baseball games...

Other unique titles worth mentioning Twinkle Star Sprites, Windjammers, and Neo Turf Masters as some of the obvious choices. Other good ones could be Neo Bomberman or Super Dodge Ball. Am I forgetting anything?

• Like 1

You got it.  At the end of this post I'll condense a list of what I own to back up my reasoning there pasted from my inventory.  I used to love fighting games a lot, but time they've mostly gotten a bit boring to me.  When I started on the SNK arcade, fighting did nothing for me outside of a random game of Art of Fighting until the arrival of Samurai Shodown (I seem to like the ODD numbers of those.)  What got me were the early 90s platformers, run n' gun,  puzzles and sports games, eventually shooters too as they developed.  I could drone on about stuff, but that last post there, you'll see the title overlap so it's easier to much agree with the reasoning there.  I never did get into the top down racing or horsey stuff on there though, but the odd sports like NTM and BS2 are awesome as is League Bowling.

- Andro Dunos (US), Baseball Stars 2 (US), Blazing Star (US), Blue's Journey (US), Burning Fight (US), Bust-A-Move (US), Bust-A-Move Again (US), Captain Tomaday (US), Cyber-Lip (US), Eightman (US), Garou: Mark of the Wolves (US), Ghost Pilots (US), League Bowling, Magician Lord (US), Metal Slug (US), Metal Slug 2, Mutation Nation (US), NAM-1975 (US), Neo Turf Masters (US), Ninja Combat (US), Samurai Shodown III (US), Sengoku (US), Shock Troopers (US), Sonic Wings 2 (JP), Sonic Wings 3 (JP), Spin Master (US), Strikers 1945 Plus (US), Super Dodge Ball (US), The Last Blade (JP), Top Hunter (US), World Heroes (US)  ---and the infamous 161in1 cart (anyone got any spare caps to fix this I can't source them)

• Like 1