Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GPX

The case of the justified Qualified

To grade with seal (standard grading) or without ("Qualified" grading)?  

5 members have voted

  1. 1. What would be your verdict, for this particular case?

    • Grade with the blister - seal all the way, baby!
      2
    • Grade without the blister - take that mofo ugly seal off!
      3


Recommended Posts

Your honor, I bring to your attention a concerning issue of VGA Qualified grading being the laughing stock of the sealed collecting community. I hereby would like to present a case using Exhibit A to showcase an ethical dilemma which needs urgent (not really) attention. The game in question is Mortal Kombat, Pal version for the Sega Megadrive, in factory sealed blister form. When purchased by the recent owner, it was damaged during transit due to poor packaging.

Exhibit A:

IMG_E3015.thumb.JPG.326e3c4fa06e771b8550ca5ade0074d5.JPG

Not a bad looker from first glance, but we delve further and what do we see?

IMG_E3016.thumb.JPG.162bb55f528f1db99cfee0a3a4943506.JPGIMG_E3018.thumb.JPG.1ff103e57a49309ddb0b460237614525.JPG

Detailed examination yields:

- damage to both lower corners of the blister seal.

- at the back, the left edge has a damaged area with a piece of the edge torn off.

- the said piece of edge has displaced itself into a mid-portion at the back, between the actual game and the blister seal.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So now I bring your attention to Exhibit B, a potential outcome if the seal was broken and it then gets graded as "Qualified" under the VGA grading system.

Exhibit B:

IMG_E5198.thumb.JPG.e786a96fbb29d5012a75accd42a9be0b.JPG

Your honor, I await your final verdict. (see poll)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was the game factory sealed under the blister? If not the conversation is irrelevant, it was never a sealed game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Startyde said:

Was the game factory sealed under the blister? If not the conversation is irrelevant, it was never a sealed game. 

The game case itself was not sealed with cellophane. It was however sealed with the blister which has the official Acclaim logo at the top of the blister pack. 

Not sure why the conversation is irrelevant if there is a factory seal (blister pack) and the outcome is a “Qualified”? 

Edited by GPX

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, GPX said:

The game case itself was not sealed with cellophane. It was however sealed with the blister which has the official Acclaim logo at the top of the blister pack. 

Not sure why the conversation is irrelevant if there is a factory seal (blister pack) and the outcome is a “Qualified”? 

I suppose it's subjective but I don't consider a blister to be the conventional definition of sealed, unless that game in that region was never sealed besides a blister. That in an of itself makes a huge difference. A sealed game opened from a blister would be labelled U, not Q.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/10/2020 at 11:07 AM, Startyde said:

I suppose it's subjective but I don't consider a blister to be the conventional definition of sealed, unless that game in that region was never sealed besides a blister. That in an of itself makes a huge difference. A sealed game opened from a blister would be labelled U, not Q.

This version of blister seal was specific to certain Pal countries, I believe mainly in France. For the MK game, I think it only came with the blister seal and no extra seals around the game case.

I would have thought so too with the U grade, but it ended up as a Q. I didn’t specifically ask why that was. Maybe the game should have come with a cellophane /sticker seal? Or my main guess is that the damage from the blister made the game exposed from the outside elements (eg. dust, moisture) and can no longer be regarded as “U”?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...