Jump to content
IGNORED

Did GameValueNow's collection page finally just die?


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Magus said:

Thanks gloves, i appreciate it. I know people have already made their minds up and that's fine, i understand. But i really am just trying to keep everyone here in the loop with exactly what i am being told. GVN is important to me too, like you said i was working with Rick long before he sold it. 

But i genuinely have gotten no reason to believe they intend to let GVN burn down like some here believe. In fact they have given me many reasons to the opposite that they genuinely intend on getting it back up and better, and actually giving me more access to keep it that way. 
 

I get it I've run many sites over the years and I know exactly what goes on in the background. There are different reasons why folks are all over the place here. 

The biggest issue by far is the lack of communication to end users. We had no idea what was going on. I had to search all over the Internet just to figure out what was going on. I'm sure there are many more like me who have no idea what's going on. A simple banner, disclaimer, redirect anything would be better than a time out.

I do appreciate your updates, now that I know you are part of the team I feel better about the situation. I'd I had know you worked for the site I probably wouldn't have said anything and stood by waiting. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

HA!! I've heard that from them before. 

One thing I've found is that video game related sites are particularly susceptible in general to DDoS and similar attacks. Not to say that this is the case here, but even VGS itself being a pretty dam

UPDATE- Everything is back and running 100%. Collection tracker, console lists, individual games, etc. My admin tools are back up and running as well.  Please let me know if you guys run into an

Posted Images

I do appreciate the updates Magus but I don't want to use or be associated with anything the cunts at GoCollect are involved in.  They let NA crash and burn.  They've failed to update GVN with any new games.  Their collection site repair has been a shitshow.  I'm just deleting my collection whenever the site is finally running and never using anything associated with them.  This collection site mishap is just the last straw. 

They robbed me of the only forum site I was on and now they robbed me of the collection site made as a passion project by Hogie (and others).  It's just unusable with no repair date in site.  At least I have VGS for a forum and CLZ for a collecting app.  They're great but they're just not the same.

Edited by LutherDestroysTheGond
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
Administrator · Posted
On 2/19/2020 at 9:29 PM, LutherDestroysTheGond said:

I do appreciate the updates Magus but I don't want to use or be associated with anything the cunts at GoCollect are involved in.  They let NA crash and burn.  They've failed to update GVN with any new games.  Their collection site repair has been a shitshow.  I'm just deleting my collection whenever the site is finally running and never using anything associated with them.  This collection site mishap is just the last straw. 

They robbed me of the only forum site I was on and now they robbed me of the collection site made as a passion project by Hogie (and others).  It's just unusable with no repair date in site.  At least I have VGS for a forum and CLZ for a collecting app.  They're great but they're just not the same.

One thing I'd like to point out, to yourself and those interested, is that GVN has no way at all currently to change/remove your personal data. I ran into this when I tried to change my email on it.

You can't delete your account, and worse, you can't change your email or easily remove your data. Hogie built it this way, certainly, but they bought it and it's their responsibility now. (I have every confidence that if notified Hogie would have added functionality to support this)

Unfortunately this is actually a big problem and GC could technically find themselves in deep water if it was reported to the proper authorities as it is in violation of the EU's data laws, specifically the "Right to erasure" (here: https://gdpr-info.eu/art-17-gdpr/). Other countries are adapting and have started enforcing similar rules, including the US and Canada.

So realistically they will need to:

A) Add the ability to delete your account and all related data
B) Manually remove the data on request (and make it clear that this is an option)
C) Take down the site or take on significant risk of being sued

(I am not a lawyer) 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

UPDATE-

Everything is back and running 100%. Collection tracker, console lists, individual games, etc. My admin tools are back up and running as well. 

Please let me know if you guys run into any issues. Again i apologize for the time it took. 

@Gloves I will bring this to their attention. They likely just aren't aware, and like you said this was coded this way before they even took over. Thanks



 

Edited by Magus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Magus said:

UPDATE-

Everything is back and running 100%. Collection tracker, console lists, individual games, etc. My admin tools are back up and running as well. 

Please let me know if you guys run into any issues. Again i apologize for the time it took. 

@Gloves I will bring this to their attention. They likely just aren't aware, and like you said this was coded this way before they even took over. Thanks



 

Magus, thank you for your efforts. I was curious what the roadmap for updating games in collection tracker is, if there is one? For example, there are PS3 games from 4 years ago that still aren't in there.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Startyde said:

Magus, thank you for your efforts. I was curious what the roadmap for updating games in collection tracker is, if there is one? For example, there are PS3 games from 4 years ago that still aren't in there.

I have noticed that if you submit a custom entry and click the "we should be tracking this one" option then they appear readily.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gloves said:

One thing I'd like to point out, to yourself and those interested, is that GVN has no way at all currently to change/remove your personal data. I ran into this when I tried to change my email on it.

Well that's really unfortunate.  I'l at least delete the games I've listed in the chance that they are data mining how many copies of every title for each user is entering.  Thanks for the info on that

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JediTrix said:

 Switch games too!  I don’t think anything new has been added since maybe September 2019.

You guys are all very welcome, happy to help! Thanks for being patient. 

At the moment PS4 and Switch are not planned to be added. I am not sure if in the future they have this planned or not. But at the moment it isn't planned or priority. 

We should be hopefully soon, getting back to adding games that are missing from systems currently in the database. Missing limited editions, greatest hits, etc....

I am also hoping to get more access to be able to audit and remove bad listings. So when you guys either flag games in the system, or post them here, i can clean them up and remove the bad ebay listings and get the accuracy better. The algorithm is great, but not perfect, and bad listings do make it through especially for certain games where the keywords can be tricky to nail down. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Administrator · Posted
4 minutes ago, Magus said:

You guys are all very welcome, happy to help! Thanks for being patient. 

At the moment PS4 and Switch are not planned to be added. I am not sure if in the future they have this planned or not. But at the moment it isn't planned or priority. 

We should be hopefully soon, getting back to adding games that are missing from systems currently in the database. Missing limited editions, greatest hits, etc....

I am also hoping to get more access to be able to audit and remove bad listings. So when you guys either flag games in the system, or post them here, i can clean them up and remove the bad ebay listings and get the accuracy better. The algorithm is great, but not perfect, and bad listings do make it through especially for certain games where the keywords can be tricky to nail down. 

 

Remind them to change the passwords and stuff for gvn, too. I, and thereby by extension Hogie, still have access. 

Neither of us is malicious in any way, to be sure, but they need to really get on top of nailing down exactly what they own, and getting a process in place for handling access. 

I've removed the passwords from my records, but they're all memorable passwords and easily memorized. Not very secure as is. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Remind them to change the passwords and stuff for gvn, too. I, and thereby by extension Hogie, still have access. 

Neither of us is malicious in any way, to be sure, but they need to really get on top of nailing down exactly what they own, and getting a process in place for handling access. 

I brought this and the right to erasure info to them. Thanks again.

I'm off to sorting 7-8k games now that were backed up, but if anybody needs me or has questions, feel free to ask them here.

And thanks again for the help Gloves. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Magus said:

You guys are all very welcome, happy to help! Thanks for being patient. 

At the moment PS4 and Switch are not planned to be added. I am not sure if in the future they have this planned or not. But at the moment it isn't planned or priority. 

We should be hopefully soon, getting back to adding games that are missing from systems currently in the database. Missing limited editions, greatest hits, etc....

I am also hoping to get more access to be able to audit and remove bad listings. So when you guys either flag games in the system, or post them here, i can clean them up and remove the bad ebay listings and get the accuracy better. The algorithm is great, but not perfect, and bad listings do make it through especially for certain games where the keywords can be tricky to nail down. 

 

I don't understand dropping the Switch. It is one of the most collectable and, frankly, collectED consoles in recent memory and they aren't going to track it? I have never seen the backside, so I would be speaking out of turn, but it is not hard to input. I don't get what they are doing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Fleck586 said:

I don't understand dropping the Switch. It is one of the most collectable and, frankly, collectED consoles in recent memory and they aren't going to track it? I have never seen the backside, so I would be speaking out of turn, but it is not hard to input. I don't get what they are doing. 

It’s not hard to input a new title but I’m sure with the speed of releases they rather wait to track the data when it’s closer to the end of the lifecycle (not my preference but the hard truth) There are sometimes ten new releases a week for the switch alone and if you add PS4 in there....it can be a bear to keep up with even with a passion for collecting the console. You have to gather all the data and then find a picture that can be used to display to the end user in a acceptable format. 
 

The  time it takes auditing bad data that doesn’t get picked up by the algorithm is a beast..... not only do you have to be knowledgeable in the collecting category there are times you have to review each and every listing because of how people label titles in eBay. This can be hundreds a day...... it’s a lot of work and requires more than one person to do. Not sure of GC plans but no adjustment to the algorithm is going to fix it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr. CIB said:

It’s not hard to input a new title but I’m sure with the speed of releases they rather wait to track the data when it’s closer to the end of the lifecycle (not my preference but the hard truth) There are sometimes ten new releases a week for the switch alone and if you add PS4 in there....it can be a bear to keep up with even with a passion for collecting the console. You have to gather all the data and then find a picture that can be used to display to the end user in a acceptable format. 
 

The  time it takes auditing bad data that doesn’t get picked up by the algorithm is a beast..... not only do you have to be knowledgeable in the collecting category there are times you have to review each and every listing because of how people label titles in eBay. This can be hundreds a day...... it’s a lot of work and requires more than one person to do. Not sure of GC plans but no adjustment to the algorithm is going to fix it. 

I personally input probably half of the Switch titles and almost all of the Amiibo. Its not hard. However, the tracking and backend stuff sounds tougher than I thought so I get it. It just sucks. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 months later...
56 minutes ago, JediTrix said:

Seems like the site is having problems again, it's been a few days since it was last working for me.

 

@Magus - any updates on what's going on?

Yeah, i think we need to get one consolidated GVN post. There are a couple of others with updates. I will make one big post. 

Some changes to the collection tracker and overall sales data(best offers) are being done, as well as some other updates in switching to the new site. The site overall should still be functioning though. Possibly a little slower than usual but still usable. I just checked and was able to load the NES list and checked a few games. It was a little slow but was working. 

I don't have a set time as it is the weekend, but i am hoping this week to have a majority of these buttoned up. I will post another update when i know more. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Welcome to VGS!

    Play, Make, Collect.

    Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

    Join the conversation!

×
×
  • Create New...