IGNORED

Korg Gadget (might be the rarest and most expensive Switch game)

I think this just surpassed Lovers in a Dangerous Spacetime

Korg Gadget had a crowdfunding campaign last year for a physical print run and it had a measly 160 backers: https://camp-fire.jp/projects/view/193945

The devs said they would be doing the print run regardless of how many backers they got so I am assuming they did whatever the minimum amount is with Nintendo. Anyone know? Is it 2k for JP releases? 3k? 

I don't know where the remaining stock went but so far it has not been sold outside of Japan.

There's a copy now on eBay with the guidebook that is already up to $220 in bids with 4 days left: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Korg-Gadget-Nintendo-Switch-Booklet-Rare/223892481286

14 hours ago the lead dev announced some copies were put up for sale on sega-market

but they don't ship to US. Price was about $50. I was going to try to use a proxy service to buy a copy so I went and signed up for Zen Market but they have to confirm new items in their system and so I was just waiting for that to happen. 

Well, I went to check the site this morning and it says it's SOLD OUT. I have no idea how many copies went to sega-market. Maybe someone bought the whole stock to flip. I don't know. I'm distraught. I want this! And so far there haven't been any plans announced to sell this outside of Japan. I have no idea what the auction will end up selling for but it's feeling like a 5-hundo. 

Please join me in prayer that this goes to Play Asia or something before I do something stupid. 

Edited by MiamiSlice

That's truly insane.  I've always been meaning to get the KORG "games" for the DS and when you posted this, I was definitely interested.  Well, I'm not now, unless they significantly dip in price in the next 3-5 years, or so.

No thanks.  You can keep it at that price.  There's other synth hardware I'd be interested in over this.

I realize it's gonna be rare, but this feels very Revenge of the Bird King and Poop Slinger-esque. They may have only sold very few copies, but the other printed copies are somewhere and will hit the market eventually. If there's enough demand it could easily be reprinted, it's 3 months old!! Paying $800 for this out of FOMO rarity is nuts.

• Like 5

6 minutes ago, RH said:

No thanks.  You can keep it at that price.  There's other synth hardware I'd be interested in over this.

I hope someone at KORG is looking at this sale wondering why a Switch gadget synthesizer is selling for more than their real analog synthesizers even though no one wanted it.

3 minutes ago, DefaultGen said:

I hope someone at KORG is looking at this sale wondering why a Switch gadget synthesizer is selling for more than their real analog synthesizers even though no one wanted it.

The demand was there, it was just not marketed well. Detune putting this up on a crowdfunding site that was only open to Japanese citizens was very limiting. I'm sure if this had been on Indiegogo or Kickstarter and had gotten the attention of #SWITCHCORPS or whatever it would have brought in plenty of orders. 

The head of Detune seems to be opposed to people buying this as a collector's item based on the way he described it in the crowdfunding description but looks like he fed the beast anyway. 

I still suffer from FOMO a bit, wondering if the next game I pass up is going to shoot up in value, but I have no qualms missing artificially rare shit like this. And as DefaultGen said, it’s three months old. It has plenty of time to become “not rare.” ANY of these modern rare games have the potential to get another print run at any time. 

That said, I do wish I had gotten Lovers on Switch. But not to the point that I want to pay a few hundred bucks for one.

Edited by The Strangest

1 minute ago, The Strangest said:

I still suffer from FOMO a bit, wondering if the next game I pass up is going to shoot up in value, but I have no qualms missing artificially rare shit like this. And as DefaultGen said, it’s three months old. It has plenty of time to become “not rare.” ANY of these modern rare games have the potential to get another print run at any time. 

I still remember people were paying $100 for Katamari Damacy Reroll on eBay after it sold out at GameStop only for it to get a restock a couple months later. I wonder if any of those buyers requested returns!

• Like 1

Just now, The Strangest said:

That said, I do wish I had gotten Lovers on Switch. But not to the point that I want to pay a few hundred for one

I just got a bundle deal for the first 6 SRG games (all CIB, not sealed). Wasn't going to mention it until I have it in hand but yeah, it was better than paying a few hundo for a sealed Lovers. Apparently people were paying almost $500 for that one right after it shipped???

1 minute ago, MiamiSlice said:

I still remember people were paying $100 for Katamari Damacy Reroll on eBay after it sold out at GameStop only for it to get a restock a couple months later. I wonder if any of those buyers requested returns!

And that was a remaster of an easily available PS2 game. I get wanting the portability and the remastered graphics, but no. The retail $30 was my top price on that one.

4 hours ago, MiamiSlice said:

Same thing happened with cave story 3d, Pikmin 3, amiibos, and all sorts of stuff. It happens all the time.