IGNORED

blockbuster-style cases

zachjay

hey guys, I’m looking for some blockbuster-style cases for SNES carts. Ideally I would be able to print out some custom labels and throw them on the front or in a slip. any recommendations? looking for something to protect the games, but show them off in a retro/blockbuster style display 

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, Lambda said:

Bit Box is another option.

https://stoneagegamer.com/bitbox-snes-sfc-game-case.html

great quality cases, and the store has them for a variety of consoles. Best of luck

these look pretty good- and prices aren’t bad. 

I saw these as well, not sure if anyone has any experience with them.

https://www.playerschoicevideogames.com/pd-universal-video-game-cases.cfm?gclid=CjwKCAiAj-_xBRBjEiwAmRbqYsmolb5V_XxAdOe5p3Mv1HhzNkppuUUzbSMdMUX3Kthnmm6ibf7gOhoCqrkQAvD_BwE

they stoneagegamer ones look a bit cleaner and are more expensive, but the universal game cases are more “blockbuster” like I think. 

4 hours ago, zachjay said:

they stoneagegamer ones look a bit cleaner and are more expensive, but the universal game cases are more “blockbuster” like I think. 

Definitely more blockbuster-esque 

I think I actually have an old Toe-Jam and Earl for Genesis in the original blockbuster rental case somewhere now that I think about it has... I must’ve accidentally never returned it as a kid.

One thing to note about the Bit-Box is the bottom seal on the case that keeps the cover art insert from falling through the bottom. On the other hand, I have several Universal Game Cases and have never had a problem with inserts falling through.

I've never used the SAG bit boxes, but I have a lot of experience using both the Universal Game Cases and the Custom Game Cases at customgamecases.com

• The Custom Game Cases are a much higher quality and will hold the game perfectly.  The downside of course is that they cost a little more.   
  • The Universal Game Cases are a much lower quality and the quality and case dimensions tend to vary between production runs.  These differences are noticeable enough to see on your shelf if they are next to each other.  On the plus side, they typically cost less.

I personally recommend the Custom Game Cases over the Universal Game Cases just for the higher quality.  The only reason I still own some of the Universal Game Cases is because I bought them before the Custom Game Cases were available.

2 hours ago, Lambda said:

Definitely more blockbuster-esque 

I think I actually have an old Toe-Jam and Earl for Genesis in the original blockbuster rental case somewhere now that I think about it has... I must’ve accidentally never returned it as a kid.

One thing to note about the Bit-Box is the bottom seal on the case that keeps the cover art insert from falling through the bottom. On the other hand, I have several Universal Game Cases and have never had a problem with inserts falling through.

that's good to know- I have a small room in the back of my house that I'd like to build some shelves for and display my snes games better than just stacking games. I'm not much for original boxes only because the few I have look terrible and of course $. I think the old-school blockbuster style would go well with a few dozen vhs tapes I can line the walls with too.

2 hours ago, TDIRunner said:

I've never used the SAG bit boxes, but I have a lot of experience using both the Universal Game Cases and the Custom Game Cases at customgamecases.com

• The Custom Game Cases are a much higher quality and will hold the game perfectly.  The downside of course is that they cost a little more.   
  • The Universal Game Cases are a much lower quality and the quality and case dimensions tend to vary between production runs.  These differences are noticeable enough to see on your shelf if they are next to each other.  On the plus side, they typically cost less.

I personally recommend the Custom Game Cases over the Universal Game Cases just for the higher quality.  The only reason I still own some of the Universal Game Cases is because I bought them before the Custom Game Cases were available.

thanks for the info! I was thinking of getting 1 or 2 of each and seeing how I like them in person, but it's hard to justify spending $10 for a case with shipping 3x over. they have great deals when you buy 25 at a time, which is what I'd likely do, but to spend $5shipping plus $4/case...gonna have to have a few beers and pull the trigger I guess.

Well I just went to the UCG site for the first time and for the simple fact that you can get a complete set of N64 games in bulk really makes me want to save up for a complete set of GB games.  I'd assume I'd have to contact them and ask to work out a deal.

Jeez, that'd be a bunch of boxes delivered to my door, though. It'd be like a killer Christmas, though.

• 3 weeks later...

figured I’d give a quick update. went with the universal game cases, mostly because they were the cheapest. I printed out the box art on normal printer paper with my work printer, so nothing special (and why it doesn’t fit perfectly).

overall, not a bad case. Feels like the games will be protected. downside- the snes game rattles around, definitely not “snap in,” but that’s ok. the edges feel sharp in some places, but I could probably sand them a little. 

overall, not bad. Definitely feels blockbuster-y. might have to check the others in time, but it’ll be slow going. Still have shelving to design and put together..

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

@zachjay

hmm this is kind of interesting. I have 25 Universal Game Cases, and all have the cover art printed to standard 8x11 paper, and they fit nearly perfectly after trimming the paper down.

Here’s what I did:

I downloaded all of the box art for my loosies from The Cover Project website. I then dumped the image to a landscape formatted word document on Open Office. I then measure the dimensions of the UGC when laid flat, and proportionally adjusted the image to within those specs Using the margin tools in the document editor... printed them out on normal paper, trimmed the excess white paper, and they fit perfectly.

Just thought I’d toss this out there in case it helps. Pic included to show examples

0859C639-E710-475D-8148-0AA14AB58CCC.jpeg

3A6B2761-D5CD-4AB1-9BBA-997C7B052C7B.jpeg

21EE9DB6-CC33-40F0-A4F2-AE0D9EEB69F2.jpeg

@zachjay
Hardest part of all that is the specs.

Grab a ruler and get the exact measurements of the UGC. (I forget what they are but they’re definitely smaller than standard 8x11 paper.

set the page to landscape mode in the editor: format, page layout, hit landscape.

the 8”, becomes the top to bottom height as the cover art sits in the game case. So if, for example: the UGC measures out to 7”, you move the horizontal margin limit to 7” (or 6.9) in the page layout menu (should be under •Format• again, or right there on the UI when editing the doc... you then set the length if needed, but as you can see in my boxes, there’s still nearly a cm or so of blank white leftover, so length really isn’t even an issue once the page is set to landscape mode (again in the format menu under page layout, in most editors). These box arts came from The Cover Project. Just google it and hit the first link. I don’t know what games you have but most US games are in their Database. Trike the excess white off of the top or bottom of the printout and it should fit snug without a hiccup.

Hope this helps

Edited by Lambda