Jump to content
kuriatsu

prototype collecting?

Recommended Posts

hihi, 

In the last year, I've gotten into collecting prototypes, I've got some for the GBA, for the PS2, one for the PS3, 3 for the SFC, and a few for the PSP, so I figured I'd ask.

Does anyone else collect prototypes here?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also collect prototypes. I was always interested in them about twenty years ago but didn't really have the money to buy them. Now I have a job and i have acquired a small collection of maybe twenty or thirty carts. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've got estimated around 50 prototypes from NES to even Nintendo Wii. I do have a few unreleased ones. I've stopped collecting them over a year ago as it started to get very expensive in auctions now, so I never was able to win one within my price range. Used to, I was able to get them pretty low and won often, so I guess more people are into it now. I'll just be on the hunt for only ones I really want to own. There are 2 NES prototypes that got lost in the mail that I have yet to recover and one of them is one I really wanted to own. 😞

  • Wow! 1
  • Sad 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Skorp said:

I've got estimated around 50 prototypes from NES to even Nintendo Wii. I do have a few unreleased ones. I've stopped collecting them over a year ago as it started to get very expensive in auctions now, so I never was able to win one within my price range. Used to, I was able to get them pretty low and won often, so I guess more people are into it now. I'll just be on the hunt for only ones I really want to own. There are 2 NES prototypes that got lost in the mail that I have yet to recover and one of them is one I really wanted to own. 😞

I'm sorry that you lost those 😞 

I hope that they're replaced someday 😞

Which ones were lost, if I can ask?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, kuriatsu said:

hihi, 

In the last year, I've gotten into collecting prototypes, I've got some for the GBA, for the PS2, one for the PS3, 3 for the SFC, and a few for the PSP, so I figured I'd ask.

Does anyone else collect prototypes here?

Out of curiosity, what GBA carts do you have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, netorare said:

Out of curiosity, what GBA carts do you have?

2 Devil children(demikids) fire book builds, 2 devil children ice book builds(from the same day), 1 prototype of both the previous games put into one build, project alpha(vaporware using the same engine as the previous 3 builds), and a devil children dark demo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Miss the old prototype section but low traffic plus most people aren’t interested in listing what they got means not many people are talking. People are buying on eBay tho! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I doubt it has value, but do people seek out unpopulated development board stuff?  I have this old Gameboy cart without a chip dropped in to test with it, but it does have a pretty shiny RARE gold sticker on it so at least you know who used it and probably could guess at for what too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Tanooki:. It might have value to some

 Drop an old chip in it, then send it to wata to get graded. Someone did that with an empty proto shell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, seems kind of slimy, I'd leave that to someone else.  I've kept it shelved away in a gb dust case in a cabinet for over a decade at least as I've had it a very long time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I doubt it has value, but do people seek out unpopulated development board stuff?  I have this old Gameboy cart without a chip dropped in to test with it, but it does have a pretty shiny RARE gold sticker on it so at least you know who used it and probably could guess at for what too.

Can you DM me a pic of that? I'm curious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you.

I apologize for any misunderstandings on my part.

That's actually super cool 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I doubt it has value, but do people seek out unpopulated development board stuff?  I have this old Gameboy cart without a chip dropped in to test with it, but it does have a pretty shiny RARE gold sticker on it so at least you know who used it and probably could guess at for what too.

I’m sure someone would want that because it’s Gameboy. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd agree, and if someone had a compatible chip that sucker could be something pretty sweet brought back to life.  If someone had a chip for an old late 80s earlier 90s Rare release for the Gameboy that would work on that spec board it could get pretty interesting and fun.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Wow, seems kind of slimy, I'd leave that to someone else.  I've kept it shelved away in a gb dust case in a cabinet for over a decade at least as I've had it a very long time.

@Tanooki yeah it would be very slimy, I don't condone it at all, was just referencing this article:

https://snescentral.com/article.php?id=1238&fbclid=IwAR11IsXsK7BtfAqfwqoxQVqY-slnU-spT8E_ZgL-l3_YUPZmUGm3v5eVQv8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You know I saw something about that earlier referenced elsewhere.  They got caught and shamed hard on that one given the solid info about where the shell came from and the rest.  It's pretty obvious even to people who don't shop for protos that's a total fake given it has a retail board in that 'window' on the shell as it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Tanooki said:

You know I saw something about that earlier referenced elsewhere.  They got caught and shamed hard on that one given the solid info about where the shell came from and the rest.  It's pretty obvious even to people who don't shop for protos that's a total fake given it has a retail board in that 'window' on the shell as it is.

You’d be surprised how little some research. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been collecting prototypes for many years (mainly NES) and I really enjoy documenting them. I would like to eventually have a list of every NES game prototype documented(or as many that even exist.) I need to post up my findings sometime when I have time to finish documenting them!

If anybody has a NES prototype they want dumped/documented, just let me know!

As a side note I have a Star Ocean 2nd Evolution PSP prototype that I'd love to dump, but I'm not sure how to do so.

Edited by Armageddon Potato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Armageddon Potato said:

I've been collecting prototypes for many years (mainly NES) and I really enjoy documenting them. I would like to eventually have a list of every NES game prototype documented(or as many that even exist.) I need to post up my findings sometime when I have time to finish documenting them!

If anybody has a NES prototype they want dumped/documented, just let me know!

As a side note I have a Star Ocean 2nd Evolution PSP prototype that I'd love to dump, but I'm not sure how to do so.

I have the talespin Nes prototype dumped already. I can work with ya on documenting it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Armageddon Potato said:

I've been collecting prototypes for many years (mainly NES) and I really enjoy documenting them. I would like to eventually have a list of every NES game prototype documented(or as many that even exist.) I need to post up my findings sometime when I have time to finish documenting them!

If anybody has a NES prototype they want dumped/documented, just let me know!

As a side note I have a Star Ocean 2nd Evolution PSP prototype that I'd love to dump, but I'm not sure how to do so.

I can walk you through the PSP dumping process for star ocean 2, if you have a PSP with CFW. feel free to DM me 🙂

alternatively, I'd love a pic of the disc 🙂

 

Edited by kuriatsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/12/2020 at 9:52 AM, Romiked2689 said:

I have the talespin Nes prototype dumped already. I can work with ya on documenting it. 

Sounds like a fun idea! I'm down!

On 2/12/2020 at 9:59 AM, kuriatsu said:

I can walk you through the PSP dumping process for star ocean 2, if you have a PSP with CFW. feel free to DM me 🙂

alternatively, I'd love a pic of the disc 🙂

 

I do have a PSP with CFW. I'll PM you!

Star Ocean 2 PSP prototype.jpg

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Armageddon Potato said:

I do have a PSP with CFW. I'll PM you!

Star Ocean 2 PSP prototype.jpg

I've had a birth by sleep disc just like that and it contained retail content only, and was 1:1 with retail, in addition theres a "play" sticker which likely means it was meant to be be played as a QA test sample. In consequence with the 1.00, its likely a final. However, I'd still be happy to walk you through dumping it, because just like the parappa 0.2 that I have on UMD, it could be that its number defies the expectation.(parappa 0.2 has the same content as retail as far as I can tell, but the music is painful to listen to, and the queues are a bit off.)

Please DM me when you can and I'd be happy to help you out with dumping it.

its entirely possible it could contain a late debug menu, or it could contain additional content.

Edited by kuriatsu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kuriatsu said:

I've had a birth by sleep disc just like that and it contained retail content only, and was 1:1 with retail, in addition theres a "play" sticker which likely means it was meant to be be played as a QA test sample. In consequence with the 1.00, its likely a final. However, I'd still be happy to walk you through dumping it, because just like the parappa 0.2 that I have on UMD, it could be that its number defies the expectation.(parappa 0.2 has the same content as retail as far as I can tell, but the music is painful to listen to, and the queues are a bit off.)

Please DM me when you can and I'd be happy to help you out with dumping it.

its entirely possible it could contain a late debug menu, or it could contain additional content.

Ok cool! Yea I'm not sure what to expect with it. Even if it lands up being final it's still one of my favorite RPGs ever!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...