IGNORED

Analogue Update: Duo ($250; Ships 2023) and Pocket ($200; Ships 2023) Available for Preorder

DoctorEncore

22 minutes ago, cartman said:

I think the Supaboy for example seems closer to hitting the mark for NES/SNES gameplay.

You just called the Pocket gimmicky, but the Supaboy gets your stamp of approval? I don't get it, but hey, to each his own!

The Supaboy is hot garbage compared to what the Pocket will provide in fidelity on all points, including both in handheld and docked mode.

I'll urge you to take me up on my suggestion to check out the videos I mentioned, and bone up on your FPGA knowledge. You surely won't be dissapointed, and will hopefully gain enough knowledge to understand just why the Pocket is so highly anticipated in the current market, for countless reasons.

26 minutes ago, cartman said:

Yeah maybe it is. But the designing attempt seems better there.

If your only criteria is what a console looks like, I can almost get where you're coming from.

But like I said, the Pocket will support 8BitDo 2.4G SNES controllers. They're basically lag-free, near-perfect clones of the OEM controller design and feel. Playing that thing docked is shaping up to be a Game Boy's fan wet dream.

1 minute ago, ifightdragons said:

You just called the Pocket gimmicky, but the Supaboy gets your stamp of approval? I don't get it, but hey, to each his own!

The Supaboy is hot garbage compared to what the Pocket will provide in fidelity on all points, including both in handheld and docked mode.

I'll urge you to take me up on my suggestion to check out the videos I mentioned, and bone up on your FPGA knowledge. You surely won't be dissapointed, and will hopefully gain enough knowledge to understand just why the Pocket is so highly anticipated in the current market, for countless reasons.

Well i don't own either but yes it looks more spot on.

As for the FPGA stuff i mean i know it works identical to the original hardware as opposed to just being able to run it (with various degrees of success).

3 hours ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I just want a Super NT without having to pay $400+.

Holy shit, this is all I'm asking for.  I'll never, ever, ever, buy one on the secondary market. I wonder what the problem is that they can't seem to produce more of them? They would basically be printing money if they could stock just a few of the systems on their site. Like wtf is going on behind the scenes I wonder. 

16 minutes ago, BriGuy82 said:

I'm not trying to go all conspiracy theory here, but I wonder if there are internal problems at this company. It just doesn't add up that there is next to zero supply... of anything... maybe there's some kinda legal dispute, or production problem... who knows. 

I suspect they are 100% self-funded and work in cyclical R&D and production runs, rather than doing things simultaneously. When they release a new console, they seem to emphasize profit margin and go for 100% sell-through. Warehouse fees are a significant burden on small businesses and can really eat into profits, so I'm thinking that's the motivation there. It also means their production schedule is very predictable, another big plus for a small business. Then they just roll into R&D until they run out of money, prompting a new product preorder or another run of an old project.

Or they're just bad at business and/or have production problems. 🤷‍♂️

56 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I suspect they are 100% self-funded and work in cyclical R&D and production runs, rather than doing things simultaneously. When they release a new console, they seem to emphasize profit margin and go for 100% sell-through. Warehouse fees are a significant burden on small businesses and can really eat into profits, so I'm thinking that's the motivation there. It also means their production schedule is very predictable, another big plus for a small business. Then they just roll into R&D until they run out of money, prompting a new product preorder or another run of an old project.

Or they're just bad at business and/or have production problems. 🤷‍♂️

I’m pretty sure that’s what it is. It’s a one man show operation. When you have the technical ability to design things like this, it usually means you have a very single-task focused brain. So he’s 100% laser focused on producing the next design at the expense of all of the support, communications, restock, etc. Working at a manufacturing company, I know too many engineers like this.

That would entirely explain the clown car disaster the portable has been.  Hype the hell out of it, give a date, have it vanish in like a minute or so totally sold through, and then be a dick and go entirely quiet basically to anyone who missed out the microsecond before the bots and squatters had their way.  There really is no excuse for it other than that engineer one track mind logic coupled with bad business practices & production issues.

Totally fine to roll out another run of the NES, the SuperNT seems to pop in and out of existence, and the Genesis just sat and spun for a year.  Now he's moved onto working on PCE Hu/CD based stuff so the portable basically is a less interesting fart in the wind by now.  So much promised, so so much not even delivered for the very few who got lucky to get one.

3 hours ago, BortLicensePlate said:

I have a supaboy. Thing is a piece of crap

No, it's not, unless you got stuck with the v1 or v2 model.  The Supaboy S/SFC/Black are that rare moment in time where some crap company somehow found a proper supplier who created something that actually works correctly.  The newer 3 versions of the thing are 99.9% if not entirely correct.  SD2SNES works, all chips it handles including the MSU-1 too.  Screwball games that have very specific one (or two) off graphics or audio tricks no other title use that fail on clones and a good many emulators too actually work proper as well on there.  I totally get trashing on Hyperkin for the first two, most their products, but in this one case it's not earned.

Edited by Tanooki
  • Like 1

It's not a one-man operation, if you remember they advertised that kevtris now has a team of fpga developers under him. Sales and mgmt are going to be separate. However you may have missed there's this global pandemic thing going on, which may affect manufacturing chains.

• Like 1
  • Eyeroll 1

I don't have any social media accounts... So I'm limited on what I can see when I click on analogues facebook, or Instagram. But when I do, I dont see any updates on anything being restocked. I only see pictures and video of what I assume are the adapters they are working on for the pocket. Was the super nt ever restocked after the initial release? If so when was the last time they carried it? 

8 hours ago, erac said:

It's not a one-man operation, if you remember they advertised that kevtris now has a team of fpga developers under him. Sales and mgmt are going to be separate. However you may have missed there's this global pandemic thing going on, which may affect manufacturing chains.

Unfortunately this is not a new problem. They've had these same stock issues since the first Nt was released in 2015. It's something about their business model. Has it been exacerbated by the pandemic? Probably. But this is nothing new for them. In fact, during the pandemic they've announced two new consoles rather than restock older stuff. It's just how they do business.

1 hour ago, BriGuy82 said:

I don't have any social media accounts... So I'm limited on what I can see when I click on analogues facebook, or Instagram. But when I do, I dont see any updates on anything being restocked. I only see pictures and video of what I assume are the adapters they are working on for the pocket. Was the super nt ever restocked after the initial release? If so when was the last time they carried it? 

That's a great question. They had a very small restock of the black version, but I'm pretty sure that's it. Supposedly they will have more of all colors ready for summer 2020 (🤔).

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/360002194972-Super-Nt-Restocks-and-Nt-mini-Availability-2018

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, erac said:

I meant one man show figuratively. He may have some support, but I’m sure he’s single point of decision making for all of the money related decisions. Which is the way things usually happen in smaller companies.

I guess it’s easier to define what they are not. They are not a departmentalized business. I doubt they have a customer service department, a marketing department, a design department, a legal department, a finance/accounting department, and a CEO. I’m willing to bet all of these responsibilities funnel through one guy and he has a few people that he delegates some design responsibilities over to. Which is fair, they’re still a small business, that’s how small businesses usually run.

• The title was changed to Analogue Update: Everything OoS except Mega Sg Cart Adapters --- Next Product: Analogue Duo (TG-16/PC Engine FPGA Emulator) --- Coming 2021?? (Preorders Not Yet Live)
5 hours ago, OptOut said:

I just burned through ANOTHER junk OG SFC today, that's my third, and at this point I absolutely REFUSE to run Original Super Nintendo hardware, it's a bunch of crap.

Where is the Super NT restock, PLEASE, I'm DYING over here! 😭

Well it is 30 year old hardware. Electronics don’t last forever. I’m willing to bet the chips are still good maybe capacitors or some other common components blown

2 hours ago, phart010 said:

Well it is 30 year old hardware. Electronics don’t last forever. I’m willing to bet the chips are still good maybe capacitors or some other common components blown

Probably caps, yeah, buzz on the audio and screen flicker, classic symptoms.

Not sure if it may have been caused by the mega drive 1 AC adaptor I've been using, which technically should be fine... But even that's 30 years old at this point too...

Either way, none of my other systems have been fucking my ass quite so hard over the last few years, so I'm BEGGING Analogue to take my fuggin money at this point!

I'd take a Super NT and a Mega SG at full price TOMORROW if they can sell me one of each.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, OptOut said:

Probably caps, yeah, buzz on the audio and screen flicker, classic symptoms.

Not sure if it may have been caused by the mega drive 1 AC adaptor I've been using, which technically should be fine... But even that's 30 years old at this point too...

Either way, none of my other systems have been fucking my ass quite so hard over the last few years, so I'm BEGGING Analogue to take my fuggin money at this point!

I'd take a Super NT and a Mega SG at full price TOMORROW if they can sell me one of each.

If you were interested in the Mega SG cartridge adapter set, maybe you should buy right now while it’s in stock. When Mega SG does get a restock, those adapters may get sold out quick

5 hours ago, phart010 said:

*stares at mountain of Atari 2600 systems that work today like they did out of the box*

• Like 3

I really wouldn't blame a 30 year old SFC, especially if it was listed as JUNK (or are you calling it that?)  I've noticed seeing yahoo japan auctions lately, but also a bit into ebay people in that region are fast and loose with the JUNK term.  It can be mean anything from: I am too lazy to check -to- it actually really IS broken

9 minutes ago, Tanooki said:

I really wouldn't blame a 30 year old SFC, especially if it was listed as JUNK (or are you calling it that?)  I've noticed seeing yahoo japan auctions lately, but also a bit into ebay people in that region are fast and loose with the JUNK term.  It can be mean anything from: I am too lazy to check -to- it actually really IS broken

I feel that they may be using the term junk to release themselves from any return liability. In many cases the stuff is perfectly fine

• Like 1