IGNORED

Analogue Update: Duo ($250; Ships 2023) and Pocket ($200; Ships 2023) Available for Preorder

DoctorEncore

Homebrew Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Gloves said:

This is honestly far more likely than my random guess / stab at Casual. I hadn't actually LOOKED at their post, and seeing this now it's pretty clear.

If this is right, I am pretty pumped for them to release a console that does cards and discs.  Because honestly, it means PS1 is not out of the realm of possibilities anymore.

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Deadeye said:

If this is right, I am pretty pumped for them to release a console that does cards and discs.  Because honestly, it means PS1 is not out of the realm of possibilities anymore.

I'm very curious about the potential for discs, considering what a pain disc readers can be hardware wise.

Homebrew Team · Posted
1 minute ago, Gloves said:

I'm very curious about the potential for discs, considering what a pain disc readers can be hardware wise.

Some people have been theorizing, that the actual drive will be off the shelf replaceable.  As in using a laptop CD/DVD Drive.  I have no idea if that is realistic, but we will see.

Well well, if the guesses are right over the color match and font style of the PCE there, and this is a real accurate guess... I guess I'll end up owning 2 of their systems after all.  I've been using my core grafx 2 for a time, but to let that fragile old NEC hardware go in favor of a modern FPGA with the common root upgrades I think would carry over from the Super NT I'd be on board.

Question though is if, if correct, that 2?!  The 2 denotes CDROM2/Super CDROM2 format, potential for this to have an optical drive, or like the Upergrafx2 in Japan, it'll run BIN/CUE/ISO stuff?  I don't see them stuffing an optical drive there, maybe a port at least to attach one though.  The ROM loading route would make sense with their jailbreak past.

6 hours ago, erac said:

No, that doesn't help PS1 any. The CD drive is not the hard part, the processing power is. PC Engine is like an overclocked NES, way another league.

If you were responding to @Deadeye, I'm fairly certain he wasn't talking about processing power so much as the fact that if they are willing to start producing consoles with disc drives, they might eventually move on towards a PS1.  Analogue has always produced cart only consoles, so IF they end up making something with a disc drive, that would be a major step forward for them and it might hint that they are looking at a lot more consoles in the future.  But no one is saying that it will be easy.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DoctorEncore said:

I need an electrical engineer to weigh in on the complexity of FPGA emulation of the cell processer stat!

For PS2 or PS3 hardware, I don't think the biggest barrier is designing it in an FPGA (although it would be considerably difficult.)  The biggest barrier would be the cost of having an FPGA unit capable of being programmed to operate as these processors.

Just a reminder that the announcement will be at 1100 EST today. Based on their prior history of announcing announcements, this will probably be an update on a known product or reveal of a new product without immediate ordering.

Regardless, I will update here later today. If it's something that warrants quick action, I will update immediately.

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Analogue Update - 14 Oct: Announcement Coming Today at 0800 PST (1100 EST)! Super Nt Restock? New Product? Who Knows!?
  • The title was changed to Analogue Duo (TG-16/PC Engine FPGA Emulator) & NEC Adapters for Pocket Announced - - Coming 2021 (Preorders Not Yet Live)

TG-16/PC-Engine it is! See first post for details. It even includes an optical disc drive! And apparently only $199. That price seems almost too good to be true. The Pocket adapters should also be quite awesome.

So who wants to sell me their full TG-16 set?

Edited by DoctorEncore
  • Like 1

I just noticed one thing.  I know this won't be an issue in the long run based on previous Analogue systems, but it looks like a Turbo Everdrive will not fit in the cart slot.  

However, it looks like the Turbo Everdrive will fit in the adapter for the Pocket, so that's good.  

Edited by TDIRunner

I’ve heard that getting the right hardware is the biggest hurdle to collecting for this family of system, the second being the price of collecting for it. I feel like this will solve the former (for the select few who get one) and make the latter worse. I’m fine owning the mini honestly.