IGNORED

Analogue Update: Duo ($250; Ships 2023) and Pocket ($200; Ships 2023) Available for Preorder

DoctorEncore

Homebrew Team · Posted

@DoctorEncore don't use the Game Gear adapter.  They are defective and may damage the system.  Analogue is sending out replacements.

From Analogue:

"Mega Sg Game Gear Adapter v1.0 - PLEASE READ

Analogue Support
Today at 05:40

There are a number of defective Mega Sg Game Gear Adapters (v1.0) in the first release and recent shipment. All units that have been shipped to date are v1.0. 

These defective adapters may damage your Mega Sg system after prolonged use. In an effort to eliminate this issue for all current Mega Sg Game Gear Adapter (v1.0) owners, we will be replacing all Mega Sg Game Gear Adapters with new ones. 

In the meantime, please do not use your Mega Sg Game Gear Adapter (v1.0). We suggest disposing of the adapter and waiting for the replacement to be shipped to you from Analogue. 

We are on target to have all replacement Mega Sg Game Gear Adapter's shipped within 30 days. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding as we work to get a replacement shipped to you as soon as possible.

1. I own a Mega Sg Game Gear Adapter (v1.0) - what do I need to do to get a replacement?

Analogue will ship you a replacement non-defective Mega Sg Game Gear Adapter for free in about 30 days. You will receive an email notification with tracking information as soon as it ships. You do not need to contact Analogue for your replacement. We have your information and we will ship out a replacement as soon as possible. 

2. I've already used my Mega Sg Game Gear Adapter (v1.0) - has my system been damaged?

No, your Mega Sg is not damaged unless your Mega Sg Game Gear Adapter has stopped functioning or will not function at all. Regardless, do not use or continue to use the adapter, dispose of it and wait for Analogue to ship you a replacement.

3. My Mega Sg Game Gear Adapter (v1.0) is not working 

Please contact Analogue with more details at support.analogue.co.

4. What about the other Mega Sg Cartridge Adapters, are these safe to use?

Yes. Mega Sg Game Gear Adapter (v1.0) is the only defective adapter, both other adapters are safe to use.

5. My Mega Sg Game Gear Adapter (v1.0) is working fine, can I continue to use it?

No, please stop using the (Mega Sg Game Gear Adapter v1.0) regardless if it is working or not. It can damage your Mega Sg system after prolonged use, even if your Mega Sg Game Gear Adapter (v1.0) appears to be functioning initially."

https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/360039868671-Mega-Sg-Game-Gear-Adapter-v1-0-PLEASE-READ

• Wow! 1

1 hour ago, Deadeye said:

@DoctorEncore don't use the Game Gear adapter.  They are defective and may damage the system.  Analogue is sending out replacements.

From Analogue:

"Mega Sg Game Gear Adapter v1.0 - PLEASE READ

Analogue Support
Today at 05:40

There are a number of defective Mega Sg Game Gear Adapters (v1.0) in the first release and recent shipment. All units that have been shipped to date are v1.0. 

These defective adapters may damage your Mega Sg system after prolonged use. In an effort to eliminate this issue for all current Mega Sg Game Gear Adapter (v1.0) owners, we will be replacing all Mega Sg Game Gear Adapters with new ones. 

In the meantime, please do not use your Mega Sg Game Gear Adapter (v1.0). We suggest disposing of the adapter and waiting for the replacement to be shipped to you from Analogue. 

We are on target to have all replacement Mega Sg Game Gear Adapter's shipped within 30 days. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding as we work to get a replacement shipped to you as soon as possible.

Thanks man! I just saw this on Twitter when I woke up this morning.

Thankfully I don't actually own any Game Gear games yet. Big win for focused collecting. 😁

I wonder what the problem is. I assume something voltage related, but I know very little about electrical engineering.

Edited by DoctorEncore

Homebrew Team · Posted
27 minutes ago, Tulpa said:

Oof.

Big mess up in either design or manufacturing, but this is the right way to handle it.  All replaced, you don't need to contact them, or send back your unit.  However, my concern is down the road, some people won't destroy the 1.0 V and those units will enter the secondary market either by mistake or to make a quick buck despite the ethical issues.  The buyers may not know the issue and use them.

Homebrew Team · Posted
40 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

I wonder what the problem is. I assume something voltage related, but I know very little about electrical engineering.

This was in the tread.  Not information of what is the actually issue, but a response to the voltage question.

Screenshot_20200215-091003__01.jpg

5 hours ago, acromite53 said:

I think it is great that Analogue is supporting the MyCards and Mark III. But as somebody who is only interested in the Game Gear, I had to pass on the whole lot. I couldn't justify the cost. 😢

Well, it just so happens that I have an extra, totally normal, run of the mill, definitely-not-recalled adapter. 🤔

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, acromite53 said:

I think it is great that Analogue is supporting the MyCards and Mark III. But as somebody who is only interested in the Game Gear, I had to pass on the whole lot. I couldn't justify the cost. 😢

Same hear.

Also, if anyone has a bad GG adapter, I'd like to pick one up for $10 shipped. PM me if you're interested.

1 minute ago, DoctorEncore said:

Circle back around to me in a month or two after I get my replacement adapter and maybe we can work something out.

I'll be honest.  My gut tells me that the problem is likely fixable but probably involves desoldering/resoldering a small component or two.  There's not much to these boards.  However, you can't require your customers to fix these items themselves, or orchestrating a bunch of returns, repairs and reshipments would be a nightmare.  I get why they are just going to ship out replacement components.

So, I wouldn't mind snagging a few of these.  If I am correct, I can get as many of these as I can and resell them as repaired units, and use that income to justify the full purchase of an Analog SG with the DAC converter. But, if everyone tosses these things they'll become "scarce", that project will be tough to pull off.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ErickRPG said:

I'm getting my mega sg in today.  i ordered that terraonion sega cd fpga cart too.  i'm starting to get into this fpga thing.  i think this is a great way to play those old rpgs and have more secure save files.  I still collect PS1 and newer but I might go this route for the older stuff!

Not to mention improvement patches.

2 hours ago, ErickRPG said:

I'm getting my mega sg in today.  i ordered that terraonion sega cd fpga cart too.  i'm starting to get into this fpga thing.  i think this is a great way to play those old rpgs and have more secure save files.  I still collect PS1 and newer but I might go this route for the older stuff!

That thing looks really cool. Stuff like that will be important as mechanical parts start to fail en masse.

6 hours ago, DoctorEncore said:

That thing looks really cool. Stuff like that will be important as mechanical parts start to fail en masse.

Yeah I think FPGa is starting to take off.  With analogue SNES, NES, and Genesis.  And Pocket coming. Terraonion doing Sega CD.  Exciting times.  And they all upscale to beautiful HD, scanline options, and so many scaling options.  I've gotten and tried my Mega SG and I'm super impressed!  I'm seriously considering getting that PC engine cart and a PC engine now!

• Like 1

so question to long time analogue fans (as a newbie myself).  Has Super NT gone out of stock then back in stock again?  Will the Classic Super NT be back in stock at some point?

And my 2nd question is, do you think it's likely the Analogue Pocket will be jailbroken to play roms?  They make a point about it not playing roms on the site, but they might just mean as is non jailbroken.

2 minutes ago, ErickRPG said:

so question to long time analogue fans (as a newbie myself).  Has Super NT gone out of stock then back in stock again?  Will the Classic Super NT be back in stock at some point?

It's been out of stock once before, after the initial buying frenzy when it first dropped. I can't say for certain that the classic one will be back.

6 hours ago, ErickRPG said:

And my 2nd question is, do you think it's likely the Analogue Pocket will be jailbroken to play roms?  They make a point about it not playing roms on the site, but they might just mean as is non jailbroken.

I can't imagine it won't get jailbroken, surely it will. But just in case, I'd recommend the latest version of GBA EverDrive, which will play everything, including GB/GBC via the Goomba Color emulator.

6 hours ago, ErickRPG said:

Absolutely.  If you notice the jailbreak has a habit of magically showing up about a week after the release of the product.  It's almost as though it exists before release but couldn't be on the console for legal reasons.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, ErickRPG said:

If you really want one, I wouldn't recommend waiting for a restock. They are notoriously bad about restocking and even worse about telling people if there will ever be a restock. The Nt Mini has been "out of stock" for years. They are supposedly going to do another run, but that's based on a few Twitter posts, not even an update on the website.

If you're extremely patient, you could buy a black Super Nt and leave it sealed for a set amount of time. If there is a restock on your color of choice, resell it for a minimal loss on eBay and buy the one you want. If they don't restock in that timeframe, open and enjoy.

10 minutes ago, DoctorEncore said:

If you really want one, I wouldn't recommend waiting for a restock. They are notoriously bad about restocking and even worse about telling people if there will ever be a restock. The Nt Mini has been "out of stock" for years. They are supposedly going to do another run, but that's based on a few Twitter posts, not even an update on the website.

If you're extremely patient, you could buy a black Super Nt and leave it sealed for a set amount of time. If there is a restock on your color of choice, resell it for a minimal loss on eBay and buy the one you want. If they don't restock in that timeframe, open and enjoy.

I'm aiming to buy a used super NT as we speak.  I just won't buy a black one, not interested.  Will just have to pay more for a used one at this point.

• Like 1