IGNORED

Must Play Sega CD games

fox

Snatcher, if you can find it.

Sol Feace

Sonic CD

Robo Aleste

Some of the better titles are pricey, like Shining Force and Popful Mail.

The full motion video games are a real mixed bag, but Sewer Shark, Night Trap and Slam City have a quirky charm and are great to play through with friends and alcohol.

Double Switch is almost impossible, though.

• Like 1

Snatcher, Road Avenger (the only FMV game that actually feels like playing a movie), Popful Mail, Sonic CD. There are a bunch of good ports like NHL 94 and Lords of Thunder (most people seem to think PCE version is better, I haven't played that one). For historical sake you should play Sewer Shark and Night Trap although they're awful. Wirehead is a pretty good FMV movie game if you want a good one.

Edited by DefaultGen
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tulpa said:

Double Switch is almost impossible, though.

This.  Played the anniversary version, cool trap concept and it even manages to subvert expectations on you, having the dude you are helping turn villain and him being able to control traps to mess with you.  Quite the “double switch”

But even with the improved interface and a list of time codes to get access to all the traps and avoid the insta-lose scenes, I wasn’t able to capture enough normal baddies to meet the quota.  You need the entire game memorized top to bottom and make a near flawless run if you want to finish it.

• Like 1

Depending on what genres you like Shining Force CD (already mentioned) Dark Wizard and Third World War are great for strategy games.  For RPGs the Lunars and maybe Vay.  Mansion of Hidden Souls is worth a look if you like mystery/puzzle games.  

Edited by Wandering Tellurian
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, fox said:

This.  Played the anniversary version, cool trap concept and it even manages to subvert expectations on you, having the dude you are helping turn villain and him being able to control traps to mess with you.  Quite the “double switch”

But even with the improved interface and a list of time codes to get access to all the traps and avoid the insta-lose scenes, I wasn’t able to capture enough normal baddies to meet the quota.  You need the entire game memorized top to bottom and make a near flawless run if you want to finish it.

I remember playing the original, and at the start of the game Corey Haim starts talking to you. So my first instinct was to sit there and listen to him. I might be projecting, but I think that's what most people would do, right? We all go through tutorials and cut scenes in every other game, so this wasn't isn't any different. Or so I thought.

I find out there's other stuff going on that needs my attention, BUT I HAD NO WAY OF KNOWING IT! So I lost the game watching Haim flap his gums. Who thought that was a good idea? 😡

I know most games make it really hard to beat them first time playing by design, but there should at least be a chance to do so.

1 hour ago, DefaultGen said:

For historical sake you should play Sewer Shark and Night Trap although they're awful.

Yeah, definitely. Those two were supposed to be part of the VHS based console that Hasbro was making in the late 80s. I'm still trying to wrap my mind about how that was supposed to work.

Night Trap is especially funny when you see how they inserted the footage of the "Sega Control Attack Team" to try to make more sense of the plot, and it's still a mess.

Final Fight CD is a great port of the arcade game. WAY better than the SNES port.

The two Ecco games are pretty cool. The gameplay is exactly the same as the Genesis versions, but the CDs added much better audio and little video cutscenes in between levels that add to the story.

Also can't go wrong with the 4-in-1 compilation disc that has Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Columns and Revenge of Shinobi. It doesn't take any advantage of the Sega CD hardware whatspever, but it's 4 awesome Genesis games on one disc, so cool beans.

• Like 1

Although it's the worst of the CD based versions, the Sega CD version of Road Rash is the only version where the licensed music will play during the race and not just in the menus. Definitely nice to hear some Soundgarden or Therapy? vs random stock music.

Edited by MachineCode
  • Like 1

Batman Returns is one of my favorites on the system, though I think the platforming parts fall in "acquired taste" territory. The driving scenes are pretty well done though and really take advantage of the hardware.

Prince of Persia is a solid port. Definitely recommend that.

Eternal Champions CD is excellent. Tons of characters, good combat system, lots of hidden stuff and secrets. Vastly improved over the Genesis original.

Flashback is the only version with constant music in-game, and the soundtrack is great. My favorite version to play.

I said this in the 32x thread as well, but I will say it here.  Gamesack has two videos that cover a lot of Sega CD games.  One video focuses on FMV games (includes other systems as well), and another focuses on non-FMV Sega CD games.  I usually find their video helpful in determining what games might for fun for my on a given system.

On 2/3/2020 at 2:56 PM, Tulpa said:

Snatcher, if you can find it.

Sonic CD

Robo Aleste

Some of the better titles are pricey, like Shining Force and Popful Mail.

Snatcher and Popful Mail are two I really want to get into.  Seems like the anime games are where it is at on the Sega CD.

lots of good memories with sonic cd

Didn’t Realize Robo Aleste was a followup to Musha,  pretty nifty.  Shining Force Cd seems on par with the other entries but a better quality audio soundtrack.  Good stuff.

On 2/3/2020 at 3:21 PM, DefaultGen said:

Wirehead is a pretty good FMV movie game if you want a good one.

I can’t decide if Wirehead is good or bad or so bad it’s good.  It is def the most FMV game out there. XD

22 hours ago, MachineCode said:

Although it's the worst of the CD based versions, the Sega CD version of Road Rash is the only version where the licensed music will play during the race and not just in the menus. Definitely nice to hear some Soundgarden or Therapy? vs random stock music.

And Monster Magnet and PAW.  That is one fierce soundtrack.  Wish it listed the bike stats tho.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Wandering Tellurian said:

A couple of others you might want to look at are Dune and Iron Helix.   Their reception was mixed with people either really  liking them or finding them mediocre at best.   Both suffer from not offering much replay value - something that doesn't bother me if the first go around is fun.  

I tried to “play” Dune had no idea what to do.  Just flipped thru menus and never found the “game” part.  Shame I liked the book and movies.

1 minute ago, fox said:

Shining Force Cd seems on par with the other entries but a better quality audio soundtrack.  Good stuff.

It is the two Shining Force  gamegear games linked together with the addition of two more "books" - the last book consists of one battle which is set in a museum where you battle many of the bosses from the earlier books.   It is one of the two hardest battles IMHO in the whole series.

One thing that is missing in it are the interludes where you explore towns and whatnot between battles.  There is a camp where you can go to the church and a small store where you can get things.  But a lot of the battles are pretty fun.

@Fox - If you give Dark Wizard a try I can help you with that (not so much spoilers as helpful hints - the game is complex and the documentation is pretty sorry - so the first game can be really confusing since you don't know how your army is going to develop).  Subsequent plays are much more enjoyable since there are an amazing amount of secrets and things you can do in the game.  I have played the game a zillion times and have it down pretty well - so well that I could play the Japanese cd without knowing a bit of Japanese.

In a lot of ways it is a Shining Force game on steroids.

Edited by Wandering Tellurian
  • Like 1

I'm a big fan of hook and prince of persia on the sega cd.  I know these games are on other platforms but I really like the sega cd versions.

Hook is such a guilty pleasure of mine.  The snes version does look nicer in the colors but I really like the music on the sega cd.  Prince of Persia on here and on the Turbo CD are my two favorite versions of the game.