IGNORED

Madden 09 and 11 Breast Cancer Variants

I know the '09 variant has been discussed in the past, but I don't know if the '11 has.  These were only sold in the Octobers of 2008 and 2010, but I have no idea what the actual sales numbers would have been.  Just curious if anyone knows anything else about them besides what is in the Kotaku articles, and where people are viewing their rarity these days.  I recall some people listing the '09 version as the rarest Wii title at one point back on NA, but I'm curious what the opinions are these days.

Happy football day!

breastcancer-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

18j5bbpfme2n0jpg.jpg

Edited by coffeewithmrsaturn
  • Wow! 1

I went through like 10-12 pages of eBay sales for the Madden 11 on ps3 and Xbox and couldn’t find a single one with the Breast cancer logo as you have shown. Two things come to mind 

1. A lot a pictures were stock pictures so there is no way to know if you would get a variant 

2. I couldn’t find the Kotaku article but I have a strong suspicion that those logos are just stickers stuck to the plastic of the case meaning you would need to find one sealed 

If number two is correct I wouldn’t count that as a variant but I suppose there are hardcore collectors that would. I didn’t try to find the 09 versions because those don’t seem to be stickers and would count that as a very rare variant.  

edit: I mean the plastic that comes on the outside of the game when you first get it, not what holds the insert in place. 

edit 2: my madden 11 for PS3 doesn’t have the red box on the right either so that may be a sticker as well

Edited by a3quit4s

If I’m remembering the NA thread you’re referencing correctly wasn’t it determined that the breast cancer stuff was on the outer plastic so they do have to be sealed?  I’d imagine it’s the same for both years and probably pretty tough to find.  I don’t know how many people hung on to sealed Wii Maddens.

On 2/4/2020 at 10:14 AM, Hammerfestus said:

If I’m remembering the NA thread you’re referencing correctly wasn’t it determined that the breast cancer stuff was on the outer plastic so they do have to be sealed?  I’d imagine it’s the same for both years and probably pretty tough to find.  I don’t know how many people hung on to sealed Wii Maddens.

The 09 is a slip cover, and the 11 is a sticker on the outer plastic.  So the 11 would have to be sealed, but someone could mayyyyyybe have kept their slipcover for the 09 version and sell it used.

On 2/4/2020 at 9:52 AM, a3quit4s said:

I went through like 10-12 pages of eBay sales for the Madden 11 on ps3 and Xbox and couldn’t find a single one with the Breast cancer logo as you have shown. Two things come to mind 

1. A lot a pictures were stock pictures so there is no way to know if you would get a variant 

2. I couldn’t find the Kotaku article but I have a strong suspicion that those logos are just stickers stuck to the plastic of the case meaning you would need to find one sealed 

If number two is correct I wouldn’t count that as a variant but I suppose there are hardcore collectors that would. I didn’t try to find the 09 versions because those don’t seem to be stickers and would count that as a very rare variant.  

edit: I mean the plastic that comes on the outside of the game when you first get it, not what holds the insert in place. 

edit 2: my madden 11 for PS3 doesn’t have the red box on the right either so that may be a sticker as well

Sorry, I was on my phone originally and didn't take the time to link the articles, but here they are 🙂

https://kotaku.com/madden-09-gets-a-splash-of-pink-5058384

https://kotaku.com/madden-nfl-11-breast-cancer-awareness-5634239

• 3 weeks later...

The '09s were a standard copy of the game with a plastic slipcover that's entirely clear other than the pink banner at the bottom and up near Favre's hand.  Other than the slipcover, the game itself appears to be identical to the standard release (at least on the Wii version) - on a sealed copy there is potentially one additional difference - the shrink wrap has an EA logo stamped on it in pink - I don't have a sealed standard Wii Madden 09 to compare it to, but the pink makes me think that the stamp is probably unique to the Hope Foundation version (IIRC the standard versions were aways red).

Here's a pic of my sealed copy that I had handy on my phone - if I remember, I'll add a picture of the pink EA stamp I mentioned on the seal this weekend sometime when I'm back home: 

821396812_Madden09HopeFoundation.thumb.jpg.bbb4752939a0e2abbb685974a9dddcc2.jpg

I don't have one of the '11s, but the fact that everything about the game itself is the same on the '09s makes it seem reasonable that a sticker might be the only differentiation on the '11s. 

As far as the red text box on '11 goes - the red box with the magazine quote is a variant on the cover art itself (not a sticker). I'm not sure of the backstory, but Madden 12 had similar variants with and without a yellow "splat" featuring a Wall Street Journal quote about the game (because, you know, the WSJ is clearly a leader in video game reviews).