IGNORED

Ranks & Badges Discussion Thread

Gloves

11 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Decent chance. They're a sliiiight bit more work since beyond making an icon, we also need to determine precise requirements. 

Oh, wow.  Well, this also opens a whooooole can of worms regarding which series to add.  It might be worth having  a poll for which 5-10 series to add charms for.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Does it? 

Yeah, I'm about to drop the first few worms. The first: I love having these for series because that's what I like to collect, but if it's done then I ask that some attempts be made to balance the sizes of the series. Collecting every Mario game ever made would be a lot to ask, but having Mario Tennis or Mario Party as a series would be really cool. Same goes for Pokemon, do you count all the spinoff games, just the main line of each generation? What about remakes like HeartGold/SoulSilver?

The second: you can easily verify a full set for a dead console or series, but what about series that are still being produced? If someone gets verified for Animal Crossing today, do you check with them again when New Horizons comes out to make sure they still have a full series???

Last one: I didn't like how NA required you have each game in the series using the original release. I was going for a complete Animal Crossing set, but my "new" Nintendo 3DS Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer edition, which comes with the game, doesn't count for Happy Home Designer in the series, even though it's much cooler than just having the Happy Home Designer retail release. Likewise, if I'm going for a complete Metroid Prime series (this wasn't an option on NA but bear with me), I'm guessing my Metroid Prime Trilogy doesn't count toward the 3 main titles, so I'd have to pick up a standalone copy of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption? Just some food for thought. 

Edited by MiamiSlice
typo

17 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Does it? 

Well, I mean, you guys are in charge but how many "Series" are there.  I could probably take 5 minutes and rattle off 30+ "Series" that are reasonably popular.  I mean, if you guys want to add charms for all of those, that's awesome!  I'm just thinking of you and the design team. 😉

12 minutes ago, MiamiSlice said:

Yeah, I'm about to drop the first few worms. The first: I love having these for series because that's what I like to collect, but if it's done then I ask that some attempts be made to balance the sizes of the series. Collecting every Mario game ever made would be a lot to ask, but having Mario Tennis or Mario Party as a series would be really cool. Same goes for Pokemon, do you count all the spinoff games, just the main line of each generation? What about remakes like HeartGold/SoulSilver?

The second: you can easily verify a full set for a dead console or series, but what about series that are still being produced? If someone gets verified for Animal Crossing today, do you check with them again when New Horizons comes out to make sure they still have a full series???

Last one: I didn't like how NA required you have each game in the series using the original release. I was going for a complete Animal Crossing set, but my "new" Nintendo 3DS Animal Crossing Happy Home Designer edition, which comes with the game, doesn't count for Happy Home Designer in the series, even though it's much cooler than just having the Happy Home Designer retail release. Likewise, if I'm going for a complete Metroid Prime series (this wasn't an option on NA but bear with me), I'm guessing my Metroid Prime Trilogy doesn't count toward the 3 main titles, so I'd have to pick up a standalone copy of Metroid Prime 3: Corruption? Just some food for thought. 

This is too much worms for this stage of the game. 🤣

Events Helper · Posted

I could get behind a series one, *cough* dragon warrior 1-4 for nes *cough*  but anyway, should we maybe do like a poll if we wanted to get something instituted so everyone can vote on it, and if it seems like there is enough steam it could be added to the list in order for the team to work on when they have time? 

Also, just for thought, you could do separate ones for cib/cart only by just putting a little cib in a corner........If that is possible, not quite sure how u all are creating these things, or maybe a tiny star for cib?  This is if you wanted to designate for someone who cares if it is cib or not, I personally don't care, just spit balling here for people who might be extra proud they have cib.

14 minutes ago, Jeevan said:

Also, just for thought, you could do separate ones for cib/cart only by just putting a little cib in a corner........If that is possible, not quite sure how u all are creating these things, or maybe a tiny star for cib?  This is if you wanted to designate for someone who cares if it is cib or not, I personally don't care, just spit balling here for people who might be extra proud they have cib.

cart only: bauble 

cib: bauble, in a box

sealed: bauble, with a glossy plastic-y shine

graded: bauble in an acrylic display case with little numbers on top

but what if the series is mixed? some cart, some CIB, some sealed, some graded? need to have modular baubles, where it's made up of pieces from the different types. 

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, MiamiSlice said:

cart only: bauble 

cib: bauble, in a box

sealed: bauble, with a glossy plastic-y shine

graded: bauble in an acrylic display case with little numbers on top

but what if the series is mixed? some cart, some CIB, some sealed, some graded? need to have modular baubles, where it's made up of pieces from the different types. 

Ok, one charm it is 🙂  Way too many worms created by my post 🤣

Editorials Team · Posted

In principle, it's ok for one series charm to be easier to get than another. It's the same with the full-set charms; lots of fullsets are a lot easier to put together than a NES fullset. But you can't have the NES Fullset charm unless you do a NES Fullset amount of work. Less-work charms have less "wow" to them.

Maybe it comes down to... what's the purpose of the charms? I get to brag that I finished my GB fullset with every post I make. Anyone who's new to the site would know that I'm a GB nerd, and that we all care about collecting. There's also sort of an "in-game achievement" feel to them; seeing people get their VB fullset charm makes me want to really try and hunt down a Jack Bros so I can have one too.

Suggestions;

A set Baubles that resets every so often (monthly) for the Top 3 most "Upvoted" Users and (First, Second and Third, Gold Silver Bronze respectively).
Special Bauble, also monthly, to the poster of the single most upvoted post and/or topic on the forum.

Ideally these would not include staff (no offence but then Gloves would probably be number 1 all the time lol)

Administrator · Posted
Just now, Splain said:

Neat idea, but I personally don't want to see too much emphasis on the "likes" etc because you can see what happens to the conversations on sites that do.

Agree. You get a little reputation number under/beside your name and I think that's plenty enough recognition personally.

• Like 2