IGNORED

Ranks & Badges Discussion Thread

Gloves

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, TDIRunner said:

All of the icons look awesome.  I also like the slightly larger size compared to NA.  Although I'm wondering if I'll change my mind once it's more common for members to have several across each post.  

We can aways adjust the amount of icons shown. Right now it's capped at 10. You'll have to go to a users profile to see all their awards past that. 

6 minutes ago, RH said:

Additional, non-set related charm suggestions.

It'd be nice to get some again for proto owners, (legit) arcade cabinets and maybe even a pinball one.

Are you saying my Arcade 1Up cabinets aren't "legit?"  😛

Also, as long as you are making that request, kiosk owners might as well be included.  

• Haha 1

On 2/5/2020 at 7:54 PM, Gloves said:

Ayyyy! A few new awards for the weirdos that collect weird games for weird consoles...

image.png

@Quaze

@DefaultGen and @Archon 1981 it's your time to shine with that Odyssey 2 badge.  On behalf of those two gentleman we need a 3DO badge, and I'd like to request Turbografx and Turbo CD/DUO (if you consider them separate) and Dreamcast.

• Like 1

Homebrew Team · Posted
1 hour ago, a3quit4s said:

Oh I just remembered this @Gloves on mobile on iOS at least the subscriber coin doesn’t show by the names but I can see the outline of the box. 

I figured it was a choice to have a cleaner layout on mobile.  On Android, it doesn't show baubles, charms, or an outline box.

Screenshot_20200207-092830__01.jpg

• Sad 1

18 hours ago, RH said:

Additional, non-set related charm suggestions.

It'd be nice to get some again for proto owners, (legit) arcade cabinets and maybe even a pinball one.

...would they need to have a game inside them to qualify?  😇  I've got a sweet Lethal Enforcers cabinet sitting around that I've been meaning to turn into a MAME cabinet forever, and hey, if I can snag a badge for it...  😜

2 hours ago, darkchylde28 said:

...would they need to have a game inside them to qualify?  😇  I've got a sweet Lethal Enforcers cabinet sitting around that I've been meaning to turn into a MAME cabinet forever, and hey, if I can snag a badge for it...  😜

That's a tough one.  At first, I figured if you/someone had a non-functional but legit cabinet which they wanted to restore, then in my book, that'd count.  But to take an old unit and convert it into a MAME cabinet?!  ...well, to me that's like getting the body of an original Lamborghini Countach and shoving a Jetta engine in the thing.

3 minutes ago, RH said:

That's a tough one.  At first, I figured if you/someone had a non-functional but legit cabinet which they wanted to restore, then in my book, that'd count.  But to take an old unit and convert it into a MAME cabinet?!  ...well, to me that's like getting the body of an original Lamborghini Countach and shoving a Jetta engine in the thing.

I get what you are saying, but I think the example is a bit extreme.  Besides, if that Jetta engine is the TDI, I would be all over that. 😛

21 minutes ago, TDIRunner said:

I get what you are saying, but I think the example is a bit extreme.  Besides, if that Jetta engine is the TDI, I would be all over that. 😛

I was being generous.  I considered saying a Civic engine but I figured I take an engine from the same general region of the globe and get one that could have a little bit of pep.

But with that said, @darkchylde28 if that's your legit goal, that's cool.  In fact, if I had a roached cab that had a good shell, I myself would probably consider doing the same thing.  It just wouldn't be my first choice.

3 hours ago, RH said:

Well, thing is, I've owned it since the game was still available.  I was working in my local mall and the manager of the arcade had completely gutted the cabinet and came upstairs to ask if I wanted it, otherwise he was going to break it into pieces and pitch it into the dumpster.  So, the following day, my dad and I showed up in a truck he'd borrowed from a friend and toted it home so I could build a MAME cabinet, and it's sat there ever since.  It's basically undamaged, with the print on the sides mostly unstained and undamaged save a single scratch on one side.  No hardware inside whatsoever, though, and no marquee overlay.

I mean, if somebody really wanted it, I'd be willing to swap it out for a similar sized full size cabinet (so long as it's undamaged), but at present my plan includes leaving it mostly as-is, leaving the original graphics intact and doing minimal modification inside to mount a shelf for a monitor, etc.  Honestly, I'd have had this done a couple of years ago except for the fact that I couldn't figure out how to get any of the Raspberry Pi MAME bundles to automatically launch into the emulator, something that's important to my setup, as it's currently going to be for both myself and my now-preschool aged son to use (don't want to have him not be able to get to the games immediately or mess something up by going into menus he shouldn't).

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
7 minutes ago, darkchylde28 said:

Well, thing is, I've owned it since the game was still available.  I was working in my local mall and the manager of the arcade had completely gutted the cabinet and came upstairs to ask if I wanted it, otherwise he was going to break it into pieces and pitch it into the dumpster.  So, the following day, my dad and I showed up in a truck he'd borrowed from a friend and toted it home so I could build a MAME cabinet, and it's sat there ever since.  It's basically undamaged, with the print on the sides mostly unstained and undamaged save a single scratch on one side.  No hardware inside whatsoever, though, and no marquee overlay.

I mean, if somebody really wanted it, I'd be willing to swap it out for a similar sized full size cabinet (so long as it's undamaged), but at present my plan includes leaving it mostly as-is, leaving the original graphics intact and doing minimal modification inside to mount a shelf for a monitor, etc.  Honestly, I'd have had this done a couple of years ago except for the fact that I couldn't figure out how to get any of the Raspberry Pi MAME bundles to automatically launch into the emulator, something that's important to my setup, as it's currently going to be for both myself and my now-preschool aged son to use (don't want to have him not be able to get to the games immediately or mess something up by going into menus he shouldn't).

Have you considered an Xbox htpc instead? 

3 hours ago, Gloves said:

Have you considered an Xbox htpc instead? 

Are you talking about hooking up an OG Xbox inside?  I hadn't, specifically due to the limitations in what you can connect it to display-wise, likely difficulty in connecting home built arcade controls to one, etc.  The reason I started tinkering with the Pi was primarily how little overhead (power and space) it had while still being able to do the job and being simple to connect all the home-built arcade hardware up to (working coin doors in addition to home build controller boards).  I could swap over to a small form factor PC, I suppose, but I'm still left in the position of not knowing or understanding how to get any of the various MAME GUIs set up to boot automatically, display screenshots, etc.

Last I looked (which, admittedly, has been at least a couple of years), all of the various places on the internet discussing such things had still failed to put together an end to end guide on how everything worked and how to set it up and highly criticized anyone who, like me, didn't understand everything, and went asking for how to do it.  Now with two little ones instead of just one, I really don't have the time or patience to deal with that type of folk, so the project is still stalled until I either stumble across the solution (most likely through somebody finally making a "dummies" guide or a pre-built setup) or finally finding the time to properly study, learn, and understand the gibberish bits of documentation out there on the setup.