IGNORED

Ranks & Badges Discussion Thread

Gloves

Events Helper · Posted
1 minute ago, Gloves said:

I'd like to try and resolve the automatic approach before resorting to manual efforts. But yes, in due time if that fails then we can do it manually. It'd actually be easy for me to get a list of people who should have it.

Well, i can do it if you want to send me the list if you are busy or whatever.  

Just let me know.  Up to you good sir.  

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Gloves said:

Sigh.

Yeah I dunno what's up, but the criteria for buying a shirt that I explicitly set up for this purpose, for some reason, seems to give to to specific people despite having never bought a shirt.

For some behind the scenes, it's technically simple logic (the following is example code I just wrote here on the fly to demonstrate):

const user = {
  purchases: [
    {
      id: 123,
      item: 2
    }
  ]
};

let purchaseFound = false;
for(var i = 0; i < user.purchases.length; i++) {
    if (user.purchases[i].item == 1 || user.purchases[i].item == 2 || user.purchases[i].item == 4 || ) {
        purchaseFound = true;
        break;
    }
}
if (purchaseFound) {
  awardBauble();
}

Basically if the user has purchased one of the shirts (IDs in the database are 1, 2, and 4), then award them the Bauble.

It LOOKS like it was giving it to people who were subscribed, SPECIFICALLY under tiers 1, 2, and 4, which leads me to believe that the logic behind this "user has purchased" function is flawed and is checking against both systems somehow. That definitely shouldn't be happening, but I'd not necessarily doubt it.

I'm going to look into it a bit further, but frankly worst case we go back to the stone age and hand them out manually. One way or another people will get this site award, it's just a matter of "can I make this easier on myself for the long run?". 

As a potential hacky solution, maybe you could change the IDs to not overlap. Otherwise you'd need to be able to differentiate subscribers from shirt purchases some other way. 

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, 0xDEAFC0DE said:

As a potential hacky solution, maybe you could change the IDs to not overlap. Otherwise you'd need to be able to differentiate subscribers from shirt purchases some other way. 

Alas, I've no direct control over the IDs. Only hack there would be to make new entries for shirts, and then go back and cancel all existing shirt orders, and reassign them to the new shirts. Painful.

• Confused 1

On 10/22/2020 at 2:03 AM, Splain said:

I got used to bagged milk in Brazil. The pitchers were common; some people empty the bag into the pitcher, some just plop the bag in and still pour it from the bag, using the pitcher. I considered getting one, but I got good enough at not spilling it that I just kinda leaned it against the side of the fridge and didn't really have any problems. It is weird though, keeping a liquid in a bag like that. The Brazilians were equally amazed to learn about bottled milk.

Anyway, I'd like a charm for "drank milk that came in a bag" plz.

I never see bagged milk for sale here. Where did you find it?

@Gloves don’t lie, we know you secretly gave out these baubles randomly on purpose to guilt people into buying VGS shirts they didn’t earn.

:C Do they come in E X T R A T H I C C sizes? COVID boredom eating basically made me go from your average “large and in charge” fat white dude to just straight up being that guy who takes up half the aisle...30 damn pound, WTF.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/10/2020 at 11:31 PM, TDIRunner said:

I just did a quick import count, and sure enough I have 99.  I guess I need to find another if I want the 100 badge.  

Just to clarify, an import is anything from a country outside of the one you live in correct?  So for me being in the US, both PAL and Japanese games would be imports.  Is that correct?

Would the same thing apply for US and Japanese games being imports coming from a bloke living in a PAL territory? @Gloves

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

@Gloves@Deadeye

I'm wondering what happened to the Complete every NES, SNES, N64, etc. game for said year charms went. I helped out with NES and SNES trying to get them and then they disappeared. 

Biggest contributor got a gold controller, then silver, bronze, and then one for everyone who helped.

SNES wasn't completed for 2020 but the NES library was.

Administrator · Posted
11 minutes ago, Bubbapauls said:

@Gloves@Deadeye

I'm wondering what happened to the Complete every NES, SNES, N64, etc. game for said year charms went. I helped out with NES and SNES trying to get them and then they disappeared. 

Biggest contributor got a gold controller, then silver, bronze, and then one for everyone who helped.

SNES wasn't completed for 2020 but the NES library was.

How do you mean disappeared? They never existed? Or do you mean on NA

Administrator · Posted
8 minutes ago, Bubbapauls said:

I guess I'm stupid or whatever but they were on this site at one point.

Nobody is calling you stupid or anything, I'm just not remembering that being a thing. 

I manage adding the charms to the system and I don't believe I recall creating those. 

It sounds like something we could have. Maybe there's a design that wasn't turned into actual charms for handing out. 

10 minutes ago, Gloves said:

Nobody is calling you stupid or anything, I'm just not remembering that being a thing. 

I manage adding the charms to the system and I don't believe I recall creating those. 

It sounds like something we could have. Maybe there's a design that wasn't turned into actual charms for handing out. 

I guess it could have been someone showing off different designs. Can we get some charms for Completing the licensed set of NES games in 2020?

Administrator · Posted
23 hours ago, DestructoDisk said:

Any chance the baubles and charms page could be updated so you can click the number that represents the number earned, and it would open a list of the people who earned them, then you could click their names and see their profiles?

Not at this time, probably not ever tbh. It's a reasonable idea, and appreciated at that, but there are just many many things that are way ahead of that in line.

• Like 1