IGNORED

New to DS and 3ds collecting

Mae247

52 minutes ago, Craigly1234 said:

I got 419 on my list for 3ds, but I think jts because I count AC New lead welcome amiibo since the cartridge art is different and has the dlc as a part without needing to download the content 

Maybe I’m missing one then because I count the two AC....I don’t count the Louvre do you? 

Edited by Mr. CIB
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Mr. CIB said:

Maybe I’m missing one then because I count the two AC....I don’t count the Louvre do you? 

Oops yep I have that on my list. That must be the one lol. I count it since it plays on US systems but I completely understand why a lot of people don't count it. I've heard many people refer to it as "extra credit" lmao

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Craigly1234 said:

Oops yep I have that on my list. That must be the one lol. I count it since it plays on US systems but I completely understand why a lot of people don't count it. I've heard many people refer to it as "extra credit" lmao

It's not really a game, not ESRB rated, but it's semi-region locked, in that a Japanese or Korean version won't play on US consoles, but any of the European centric languages will. Technically you could count each language as a separate release, they each have a different flag on the cover and different language on the cart. That would make 8, I think? I can't recall all the languages and I can't find a list online anywhere. Pretty sure there's English, Spanish, German, French, Japanese, Korean... and I must be forgetting some. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Tanooki said:

I have a suggestion, and knowing the collector base here it could vanish.  (To All) Have you ever experienced Learn With Pokemon Typing Adventure?  This is the ONLY pokemon game never given a US release amazingly enough.  It got both a Japanese and multi-region/box EU release too.  The game is unique it's like Mavis Beacon/Mario Teaches Typing mixed with Pokemon having a whole story, pokedex, capture mechanic and research tasks all around typing so it's like Typing of the Dead.  It comes with a full blown bluetooth keyboard, and if you get the ENGLISH EU release it's US standard QWERTY.  Normally it goes like $80+ on ebay new, but Amazon has a US listing from a US seller for $30-35 shipped brand new.  I got it and it's amazing and you can double down using the keyboard for any bluetooth device (phone, tablet, consoles, etc.)  Hell of a deal really at that price.

See for yourself: https://www.amazon.com/Learn-Pokémon-Typing-Adventure-DS-Nintendo/dp/B0096763KY

This is amazing, how did I never hear of this? 

There's a bunch of really cool add-ons for the DS, some thanks to that perfectly located slot-2. I'm aware of, off the top of my head: 

• The Rumble Pak you mentioned, bundled with Metroid Prime Pinball, that supports like 40 games (there are also knockoff versions that work with DS Lite)
  • A Taito spin knob paddle controller which was exclusive to Japan, which works for Arkanoid but also games like Peggle
  • Guitar Hero controller
  • A TV tuner that was also exclusive to Japan
  • A radio tuner, again pretty sure exclusive to Japan
  • A memory expansion pak that was bundled with the Nintendo DS browser, and I think there were two versions, one for DS and the other for DS Lite
  • Easy Piano came with a mini piano 
  • Wappy Dog, not something you plug in, but a dog you control with the DS
  • Master of Illusion, again not something you plug in, but comes with a card deck that is kind of like an add-on
  • Personal Trainer Walking came with two pedometers, one white and one black, again not something you plug in
  • And the Pokewalker, of course

There's probably more. I have some of these! Not all!

• Like 1

On 2/1/2020 at 12:05 PM, KokiriChild said:

For the Club Nintendo exclusives for the DS, there are two: Game & Watch Collection, and Game & Watch Collection 2.

There are two *in the USA.* There are more in Japan: Tingle's Balloon Fight and Zekkyo Senshi Sakebrain. They are cheap to find on eBay. 

For the Louvre guide, FYI all, the French version can be sold anywhere in France, not just at the Louvre. You can buy it on Amazon.fr. I think it will set you back maybe 20 Euro with shipping. 

These could only be purchased with 800 Club Nintendo coins by doing reviews of DS and Wii games via the codes you found on the inserts. 

Or you could have done what I used to do and buy Club Nintendo codes to redeem for the points off eBay. I used to buy them from a guy who would buy many copies of Pokemon to load up with shinies and re-sell. He made a little extra money selling the codes for like $3 each. Crazy times. 

Edited by MiamiSlice

The DS is a fantastic console to both play and collect for and I can see it exploding someday. Many games for it just can’t be converted because of the touch interface and as mentioned, many cases and manuals were destroyed at retail. It also has such a huge library that I’m always finding titles I hadn’t seen before.

It’s fun and easy to collect console variants. Is there a more drastic improvement in a console than the OG DS to the DS Lite?

It’s also an important system historically because of its booming popularity. It sold like hot cakes. Everyone had one. I wouldn’t say it was as culturally relevant as the Wii at the time, but it was damn close. Nintendo experimented with a weird idea and it blew up. They originally intended for it to be alongside the GBA (or so Nintendo said) but once it caught fire they focused entirely on it.

The DS was an integral part of my childhood and teenage years so I have a ton of memories and a very high opinion of it.

Edited by The Strangest

4 hours ago, The Strangest said:

The DS is a fantastic console to both play and collect for and I can see it exploding someday. Many games for it just can’t be converted because of the touch interface and as mentioned, many cases and manuals were destroyed at retail. It also has such a huge library that I’m always finding titles I hadn’t seen before.

It’s fun and easy to collect console variants. Is there a more drastic improvement in a console than the OG DS to the DS Lite?

It’s also an important system historically because of its booming popularity. It sold like hot cakes. Everyone had one. I wouldn’t say it was as culturally relevant as the Wii at the time, but it was damn close. Nintendo experimented with a weird idea and it blew up. They originally intended for it to be alongside the GBA (or so Nintendo said) but once it caught fire they focused entirely on it.

The DS was an integral part of my childhood and teenage years so I have a ton of memories and a very high opinion of it.

It already has started to explode imo. Lots and lots of $100+ CIB games, and you have a couple that are that price for just the cart too. Some of the really hard to find ones are $250+ CIB. People are finally catching onto DS collecting and realizing just how incredible the library is. It's not all garbage like what people once assumed. Sure, a lot of it is, but there are easily over 50 great games. 

I'm always amazed just how rare some of the DS titles are to find CIB given how popular the system was, but man, finding the case and manuals for some titles is darn near impossible.

Quick, top 5 favorite DS games, and go!

Yeah he's right, the DS is loaded probably with a thousand choices of pure crap, no argument there.  But there are at least easily 50 games you probably should consider a must play on the system, surely more or less given someones tastes in genres too.  Even Nintendo got a bit daring on stuff they'd make or at least publish like True Swing Golf to stuff like Hotel Dusk, both, truly fantastic and cheaply owned.  Yet my tip off to it was last year I stumbled across Ecclesia for the DS and thought it was expensive at $40 but being happy it was a sale that day so I got another like 1/3 off that to find out at home people were nutbag over it paying $100+ for a Castlevania game.  DS has some odd quirks to it where people get heavy handed and pay, typically at least on a quality title, not so much like high pay on turds of obscurity like say the NES library. 🙂

DS for me, well, it's not so much about growing up memories, that's the 8/16bit time for me, but it wasn't hard to realize the system had a lot of potential because it was a true 2D powerhouse but also N64 level capable of some solid 3D too.  The variety of games is quite diverse, and due to the fact the media was relatively cheap, as were the budgets behind it to make true greatness vs the bloated HD stuff on TVs there was a ton of  cool things happening you could just dig into.  It still was a time before indie really took off, so you had all those risk takers doing some nice stuff with the hardware.

I wouldn’t say these are exclusively the top 5 but, these are really good games.

The legendary starfy 

Phoenix Wright ace attorney
Harvest moon ds

Hotel dusk room 215

Animal crossing wild world

Shin megami tensei devil survivor 2

dragon ball origins

Mario & luigi bowsers inside story
Kirby canvas course

Chrono trigger

golden sun dark dawn

and for 3ds I know of a ton.

52 minutes ago, Mae247 said:

I wouldn’t say these are exclusively the top 5 but, these are really good games.

The legendary starfy 

Phoenix Wright ace attorney
Harvest moon ds

Hotel dusk room 215

Animal crossing wild world

Shin megami tensei devil survivor 2

dragon ball origins

Mario & luigi bowsers inside story
Kirby canvas course

Chrono trigger

golden sun dark dawn

and for 3ds I know of a ton.

Interesting. Of all those ds games, I've only played Chrono trigger. So legendary starfy is really that good of a platformer eh?

I enjoy the simpleness and colors (yes I know that sounds bad) it keeps you entertained honestly. It’s kinda a “watery” spin of Kirby (which I also enjoy). It also reminds me of cool spot on the snes which again was another favorite of mine. Also, the mini games are fun.

another one I like is Mario hoops 3 on 3. I don’t see many people mentioning it but it’s good for picking up for a quick play during a lunch or just for fun.

Edited by Mae247

1 hour ago, Tanooki said:

Legendary Starfy is awesome, it's like an equally if not more kirby cute platformer, but under the sea as a starfish, instead of a pink hoover like blob.  I've got maybe 10 or so DS games, that's one I have.

Well clearly I need to pick it up then.

Wait a minute, you ONLY have 10 DS games??? You gotta step it up my friend. Get to that 50 mark like you said lol.

On ‎2‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 9:09 PM, Makar said:

It already has started to explode imo. Lots and lots of $100+ CIB games, and you have a couple that are that price for just the cart too. Some of the really hard to find ones are $250+ CIB. People are finally catching onto DS collecting and realizing just how incredible the library is. It's not all garbage like what people once assumed. Sure, a lot of it is, but there are easily over 50 great games. 

I'm always amazed just how rare some of the DS titles are to find CIB given how popular the system was, but man, finding the case and manuals for some titles is darn near impossible.

Quick, top 5 favorite DS games, and go!

Top 5 DS (I haven't spent much time playing first party DS games but I'm sure they are great)

Drone Tactics

Commando: Steel Disaster

The World Ends With You

The Dark Spire

Aliens Infestation

1 hour ago, Mae247 said:

It’s one of the cheaper nice games honestly and it isn’t that hard to find. A lot of the really good ds games are $15 and under.

No kidding. If you got back in time 5 years ago, you could find probably 2-3x as many good ds games for as cheap as $5 (cart only). Dragon quest heroes rocket slime was a $5 game, and drone tactics was only $2 at one point in time. 

Now rocket slime is $20-25 and drone tactics is $35-50.

3 minutes ago, BreaKBeatZ said:

Top 5 DS (I haven't spent much time playing first party DS games but I'm sure they are great)

Drone Tactics

Commando: Steel Disaster

The World Ends With You

The Dark Spire

Aliens Infestation

I like your list! Drone tactics is in my top 5 for sure. I have commando steel and dark spire. Haven't played them yet though but I need to. Commando steel looks like metal slug, or is it different?

2 hours ago, Makar said:

No kidding. If you got back in time 5 years ago, you could find probably 2-3x as many good ds games for as cheap as $5 (cart only). Dragon quest heroes rocket slime was a $5 game, and drone tactics was only $2 at one point in time. 

Now rocket slime is $20-25 and drone tactics is $35-50.

Honestly I’m glad I have fell into it now. I see how the prices are fluctuating and can see how they will only start to over inflate due to the “kids” who had these that can now buy these on their own. Same thing happens with me with the n64, sega genesis, and play station. Tons of solid titles on both the ds/3ds that people on a budget can get into. It’s also good for people that only unfortunately have the option of GameStop at this time. They even under value the good titles which can be good. I know that they get a bad rap but I’m sure it’s helped a few hear and there when they blow out crap a few times a year.

im still looking for rocket slime and drone tactics by the way haha.

Edited by Mae247

3 minutes ago, Mae247 said:

Honestly I’m glad I have fell into it now. I see how the prices are fluctuating and can see how they will only start to over inflate due to the “kids” who had these that can now buy these on their own. Same thing happens with me with the n64, sega genesis, and play station. Tons of solid titles on both the ds/3ds that people on a budget can get into. It’s also good for people that only unfortunately have the option of GameStop at this time. They even under value the good titles which can be good. I know that they get a bad rap but I’m sure it’s helped a few hear and there when they blow out crap a few times a year.

im still looking for rocket slime and drone tactics by the way haha.

May the odds be ever in your favor. I got super lucky and found drone tactics at a local GameStop years ago for $2. Haven't seen one within a 100 mile radius since. Rocket slimes used to be abundant at several gamestops but not anymore. You'll very likely find rocket slime before drone tactics. Drone tactics is far more rare than rocket slime. If I find either one, I'll message you.

6 minutes ago, Makar said:

May the odds be ever in your favor. I got super lucky and found drone tactics at a local GameStop years ago for $2. Haven't seen one within a 100 mile radius since. Rocket slimes used to be abundant at several gamestops but not anymore. You'll very likely find rocket slime before drone tactics. Drone tactics is far more rare than rocket slime. If I find either one, I'll message you.

Message me anyways lol. I still have a want list. Same goes for anyone else out there haha.

@Tanooki

@MiamiSlice

@Makar

@BreaKBeatZ

@The Strangest

Edited by Mae247
  • Like 1