IGNORED

RIP GVN and PC?

Lincoln

On 1/13/2020 at 9:09 AM, RH said:

I have cataloged over 1,500 games on that thing.  I know I can export but does anyone know of a good tool online that I can import this data into, even if theres a yearly fee?  I’d really not re-enter 1,500 games manually with variant details.

I also have a lot of this stuff in spreadsheets, but that’s only for systems where I’m going for full sets. The bummer about Google docs is you have to manually enter all of those details already in these online details.

I pay for collectorz..... it has a app, desktop and web based that all sync. 

2 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I was merely pointing out there that those things are not immediate priorities for us here. Anyone with time and dedication could make a GVN clone/competitor. We've got people here making literal NES homebrews. That's WAY more effort to learn than pulling data from ebay daily, storing it in a database, then posting that data to a webpage.

Lots of people have asked for lots of database type functions here. I haven’t, because I agree with you that there are already many other resources around. But, we all know sites disappear sometimes.

As a community-owned site with the intention to pass duties along if or when members of the current team wish to move on, I could also see value to “us” having comprehensive tools along those lines. I think a lot of people here, including myself, have next to no programming skill, but are willing to scan things and do data entry. Witness the number of listings for brick&mortar stores people are adding.

I get it. Everything can’t be immediate priority. But theoretically, futurewise, can you (”you” Gloves, or ”you” anyone reading this) think of a feasible way to create a framework that can utilize such effort? Googling Nintendo and NES stuff and constantly finding results on NA is how I came to be here. If VGS had images of C/I/B/etc for console libraries, and price guide, and [this that and the other]... it could really be a destination with big audience, rather than, as I currently see us, basically a spot for old heads from NA or just forums in general to hang out. Which is cool but might not necessarily last “forever”.

Having a modern codebase for the site is great, don’t get me wrong. And I thank you and the others for all of the behind-the-scenes work without which we would all be so disparate and unconnected. But I want here to be more of that wide-ranging destination. If more behind-the-scenes stuff can be crowdsourced, if you will, I think things would fill in nicely over time.

🙂

Administrator · Posted
2 minutes ago, Link said:

Lots of people have asked for lots of database type functions here. I haven’t, because I agree with you that there are already many other resources around. But, we all know sites disappear sometimes.

As a community-owned site with the intention to pass duties along if or when members of the current team wish to move on, I could also see value to “us” having comprehensive tools along those lines. I think a lot of people here, including myself, have next to no programming skill, but are willing to scan things and do data entry. Witness the number of listings for brick&mortar stores people are adding.

I get it. Everything can’t be immediate priority. But theoretically, futurewise, can you (”you” Gloves, or ”you” anyone reading this) think of a feasible way to create a framework that can utilize such effort? Googling Nintendo and NES stuff and constantly finding results on NA is how I came to be here. If VGS had images of C/I/B/etc for console libraries, and price guide, and [this that and the other]... it could really be a destination with big audience, rather than, as I currently see us, basically a spot for old heads from NA or just forums in general to hang out. Which is cool but might not necessarily last “forever”.

Having a modern codebase for the site is great, don’t get me wrong. And I thank you and the others for all of the behind-the-scenes work without which we would all be so disparate and unconnected. But I want here to be more of that wide-ranging destination. If more behind-the-scenes stuff can be crowdsourced, if you will, I think things would fill in nicely over time.

🙂

Databases of video games and such are definitely on the list. I'd just ask for patience. We don't want to spread ourselves or the community too thin, and we want to do things as close to "right" as we can. 

The stores database is the first step in that direction. I do really appreciate the enthusiasm and eagerness to help and build out the data and everything, it's really amazing to see. We'll get there! We've already come a fair way considering we're a few months old. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Gloves said:

I use Backloggery. I don't care about the value of my collection though.

Thanks for reminding me about that site! I'm still trying to catch up to where I was before I stepped away 😛

To comment on the point about not many people here with coding skills... I'm not so sure about that. I will speak for only myself and say that I write code often (for work and for myself). Now are folks willing to participate in a community project or similar? I think that's the real question. 

I started putting together a local database for myself a number of years ago. I've shelved the project for many years now. Recently, I began working on it again (but not for the masses - for a nerd like me; CLI-based, written in Python). It's meant to be a very fast and responsive system for quick queries. I do have some thoughts on creating a better solution for  everyone... I started a Github project that I'm calling FRIGID (Free Retro Independent Game Inventory Database). The aim is to create community-vetted, accurate, and freely-available database(s) for gaming; whatever the purpose. I feel this is long overdue and will help to standardize things as well as help people move away from spreadsheets (if they so choose). More to come on this project because it's very much in the beginning stages. I'm hopeful that folks will be interested in collaborating and making things easier for everyone. 

• Like 4

Vgpc is up now, I think they were just doing maintenance. Iirc from the jj games thread someone said he's gonna focus on vgpc more now so expect it'll be around a while. 

Gvn is back up now *and* it's not having the issue where the page cuts out half way. So I have no idea wtf is going on.

Administrator · Posted
4 hours ago, ninjistar said:

Thanks for reminding me about that site! I'm still trying to catch up to where I was before I stepped away 😛

To comment on the point about not many people here with coding skills... I'm not so sure about that. I will speak for only myself and say that I write code often (for work and for myself). Now are folks willing to participate in a community project or similar? I think that's the real question. 

I started putting together a local database for myself a number of years ago. I've shelved the project for many years now. Recently, I began working on it again (but not for the masses - for a nerd like me; CLI-based, written in Python). It's meant to be a very fast and responsive system for quick queries. I do have some thoughts on creating a better solution for  everyone... I started a Github project that I'm calling FRIGID (Free Retro Independent Game Inventory Database). The aim is to create community-vetted, accurate, and freely-available database(s) for gaming; whatever the purpose. I feel this is long overdue and will help to standardize things as well as help people move away from spreadsheets (if they so choose). More to come on this project because it's very much in the beginning stages. I'm hopeful that folks will be interested in collaborating and making things easier for everyone. 

I think something like this is awesome!  

I work with a number of community-focused or volunteer-driven projects for things like this, and they can work very well if set up correctly.  There is nothing 'wrong' with a database here on this site, for example, but there are inevitably going to be limitations by the system, and not only that, but expanding the potential volunteer-pool to a much wider base, will enable so much more progress.

I've seen, worked on, and been a part of so many different "video game database" style projects by this point, that's it's exhausting thinking about each new one, because we (as in the general gaming community) keep recreating the wheel over, and over, and over, and there is SO much duplication of effort between various projects.  I'm already aware of multiple similar projects out there, each with their own scope and limitations, and it just feels like there is a lot of wasted and duplicated effort.  Each project has its own specifications about what data elements to include, the standards for the project, etc.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to a database here if that is what our members want, are willing to contribute to, and if it enables us to implement other features such as collections, trading, etc. at some point, but I LOVE the idea of a more open-source, wider project like the one ninji mentioned here.  I really think this is something the community needs.

• Like 2

Well, this thread got em motivated to stop delaying and to delete my GVN and just find another database to use for tracking.  Something that won't be commodified and sold to some shit stain company like GoCollect.  

I still miss the threads and resources on NA for variants, Nintendo Power volume information, the robust trading community, etc. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Idk if theyre deleting info but it hasn't been usable in days.  In the last few months the tracker has been down more than it has been active for me.  That, coupled with their inability/unwillingness to add new titles means it's time (for me at least) to move on.   Anyone have good app suggestions? I tried CLZ but was unimpressed.

I'm disheartened that I already lost NA and now my primary collection tracker is unusable thanks to shitty GoCollect.  I can't help to think how I was mocked on NA for being critical of their takeover of NA and their purchase of GVN.  Oh well.