IGNORED

Homebrew Leader Board Competition 2020-Game 2: The Rise of Amondus

Scrobins

Moderator · Posted

Homebrew Leader Board Competition 2020 - Game 2: The Rise of Amondus

Play Period: Friday, February 7, 2020 - Sunday, February 23, 2020

Play on your cart or download the rom here.

Released in summer 2015, The Rise of Amondus served as a prequel to Rob’s (Sly Dog Studios) equally excellent NES homebrew, The Mad Wizard. Though most gaming franchises tend to hover around the same genre, Sly Dog’s Candelabra Epic represents his personal challenge to use each entry to in the series to push the limits what can be done on the NES in every genre. The Rise of Amondus offers a unique take on the horizontal shooter, requiring the player (in the role of The Mad Wizard’s villain) to fill a given quota for capturing goblins before reaching each level’s boss. It’s up to you and your minions to conquer the Primwoods, or else the events of The Mad Wizard can’t come to pass!

The Rise of Amondus was initially available in a clear cartridge on RetroUSB, but has since been discontinued. K3VBOT offered a re-release of The Mad Wizard and The Rise of Amondus in his 2019 Kickstarter for Candelabra: Estoscerro, the latest entry in the Candelabra Epic. Missed out on getting your copy of the physical cartridge? Don’t worry, Sly Dog offers the rom on his site, where you can explore and enjoy his entire catalog.

Gameplay is innovative, but be careful because with innovation comes complexity. The d-pad controls Amondus’ movement, but hitting the d-pad while holding A moves the reticle used to lock onto and capture goblins. Hitting B while moving as Amondus unleashes your attacks, which vary depending on whether your to the side of or in the middle of the screen. Meanwhile hitting B after locking onto a goblin with the reticle summons Rant who will swoop down and carry the targeted goblin away. Hitting Start switches between the reticle for Rant and the option for helper Charwit. Your goal: meet your goblin capture quota so you can move on to the level’s boss.

This round will begin February 7, no score posted before then will be accepted. Please limit your posts to including your scores so as not to clutter the thread.

How to submit your score:

1. Scores shall be submitted by posting a picture to that month’s game thread.  Screenshots of a computer screen (print screen) are not acceptable.

2. The picture must include the entire screen and have your VGS user name within the picture on a piece of paper.   Username can not be added digitally to the picture.

3. Type out your score in bold on your thread post.

4. Scores must be submitted within the posted time frame.

5. Do not submit scores from previous runs.

6. Use one post for your score.  You can submit as many as you like by editing your original post.  You can bump the thread to announce your new score.

Rules:

1. NTSC only, no PAL.  This will create a level playing field and not create differences based on timing.

2. OEM, FPGA, and clone consoles are OKAY.

3. Emulators are OKAY.  Play game at 100% speed.

4. No save states allowed.

5. Flashcarts (i.e. Everdrive / Power Pak) are OKAY.

6. No turbo or slow motion controllers are allowed.

7. No game genie codes.

8. Do not use glitches in the game to boost your score.

9. Single Player only

10. Do not loop play session into a "New Game Plus" (which carries your score).  Reset the game instead.

11. No continues allowed, one play is limited to the 3 lives you receive at the beginning of the game.

Rise of Amondus cart.jpg

Edited by Scrobins
  • Like 1

Moderator · Posted

The Rise of Amondus Leaderboard

Username               Score                Date

Red                       230,100           2/15/2020

bertsampson        89,950            2/21/2020

ecmyers                 78,800           2/23/2020

driveshaft              66,550           2/22/2020

Ausden                   60,150           2/15/2020

Richardhead           47,550           2/17/2020

Deadeye                 47,400           2/11/2020

JamesRobot           31,350           2/19/2020

Scrobins                 10,750           2/9/2020

zi                               8,650          2/23/2020

Edited by Scrobins

• This topic was pinned and featured

You might want to consider putting a limit on the number of lives and loops you can use for this contest.  It loops endlessly and the difficulty doesn't change significantly after the second loop.  You can also score enough points on the last level to get an extra life, so you can just keep playing that level over and over until you reach 1,000,000 points (you stop getting extra lives after that).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Red said:

You might want to consider putting a limit on the number of lives and loops you can use for this contest.  It loops endlessly and the difficulty doesn't change significantly after the second loop.  You can also score enough points on the last level to get an extra life, so you can just keep playing that level over and over until you reach 1,000,000 points (you stop getting extra lives after that).

Agreed, one life, one loop would be great. Which means I’ll have to update my score 😁

Edited by Richardhead
  • Thanks 1

Homebrew Team · Posted

@Red @Richardhead

Thanks for pointing that out.  Let me talk with @Scrobins to figure out if we will revise the rules.  We will try to sort it out today. @Richardhead since you submitted your score already, will you be okay if we revise the rules and reset the board?

Edited by Deadeye
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Deadeye said:

@Red @Richardhead

Thanks for pointing that out.  Let me talk with @Scrobins to figure out if we will revise the rules.  We will try to sort it out today. @Richardhead since you submitted your score already, will you be okay if we revise the rules and reset the board?

I’m fine with whatever works. That want gonna be my final score anyhow. Just wanted to get on the board. 

Homebrew Team · Posted

🎉🎉🎉🎉Prize Announcement 🎉🎉🎉🎉

Recall those intermediate prizes we talked about?  Well here is the first one.  In celebration of The Mad Wizard's recent 5 year anniversary:

- First one to post a score of 150,000 or higher during this round of The Rise of Amondus, wins a physical cartridge copy of The Mad Wizard.

Fine print:. Same rules apply as in the OP on this thread.  Shipping is included in the prize.  Excludes any import taxes. 

(Image is from Hagen's Alley)

EDIT:

Prize has been claimed by @Red.  More prizes will be announced in the future.  

the-mad-wizard.jpg

Edited by Deadeye
  • Like 4

I'm a bit rusty, so this took me a few tries.  To get this score, I played until just before the final boss and lost on purpose twice so I could replay the stage.  I then beat it on the third life.  I played pretty cautiously, so a significantly higher score is possible.

rise.JPG.d34a9331df40c159c253fb361fe69047.JPG

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Red said:

I'm a bit rusty, so this took me a few tries.  To get this score, I played until just before the final boss and lost on purpose twice so I could replay the stage.  I then beat it on the third life.  I played pretty cautiously, so a significantly higher score is possible.

rise.JPG.d34a9331df40c159c253fb361fe69047.JPG

Ha! Saw this coming😂