IGNORED

What are the safest rechargable batteries to use for Sega Nomad?

ErickRPG

I have the original 6 aa battery pack.  I also have an official rechargable one that would need to be modded (not by me).  So to take the easy route I'm using cheap amazon basics aa's right now.  I'd like to know if any type of rechargable AA battery is safe to use in the nomad, if so what kind?

I'm a big fan of the Eneloop brand, as a couple of "starter" sets and appropriate C & D cell adapters got us through my son's earliest years and are still going strong as my daughter is moving through that stage.  Amazon's home brand ones are also good, seeming to keep just as much charge and for as long as the Eneloops, but just don't have the same amount of customer anecdotes behind it for recommendation.  Everything else that I've used (some name brands, some not) have tended toward corrosion a few years down the road, regardless of use or care provided to them.  The Eneloops are all still going strong 6 years beyond their original purchase, and the Amazon ones are doing the same 2-3 years in.

I'd say in general any rechargeable AA is going to be safe in the Nomad, so long as you're not trying to use the Nomad to charge them (not even sure that's possible, but just in case).  They'll operate pretty much exactly as any other AA will until their charge gets low, at which point you throw them into their charger and top them back up.  Buying enough to have two sets for whatever your usage is going to be (in this case, your Nomad) is a good idea, as it will allow you to keep a set on the charger while using the others, never leaving you hanging for batteries--just make sure you've got enough chargers!

• Thanks 1

I'm just using their standard AA batteries.  What I was asking was, are any "types" unsafe?  Mercury, lithium etc?  The manual just says use AA alkaline.  Rechargeable batteries are what, Nihm 1.2v?  Alkaline are 1.5.  I guess I was wanting feedback from the community.  Are 1.2v Nihm safe to use on the Nomad?  I don't want to risk damaging this minty Nomad I paid $350 for.

Edited by ErickRPG

So far as I'm aware, the only standard rechargeables that are currently being produced are either Nickel-Cadmium (NiCd or NiCad) or Nickel-metal hydride (NiMH), both of which are safe.  I've personally never seen any other formluations available in "standard" (AAA, AA, C & D) sizes since I've been buying rechargeable batteries.  The other common ones you might run into are Lithium Ion (Li-ion) and Lithium polymer (LiPo), but so far as I'm aware, those are normally only used for things like laptop batteries, cell phones, small electronics (micro wireless planes and helicopters, for example), etc.  Lithium-ion is pretty stable, but Lithium polymer can be kind of touchy (tends to overheat and can flame up or even explode if charged incorrectly).  Sticking with standard NiCd or NiMH rechargeables for your AA needs will keep you and your electronics safe.

• Thanks 1

• 8 months later...