IGNORED

recommend some YouTube channels

zachjay

Another vote for Game Sack and @DefaultGen but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Classic Gaming Quarterly yet.  His console launch videos are excellent and in the same documentary-ish style of Gaming Historian only better imo.  I don't even care about the Sega Master System and I've probably watched his video on it 10 times.

Events Team · Posted
On 1/27/2020 at 8:25 PM, Deadeye said:

Daria Plays - Reviews mostly RPGS.  Good quality and does reviews and let's plays.

Speaking of the lady, does anyone knows if she ever joined VGS? She was a great member on NA, so maybe it would be a good idea to poke her about VGS to see if she jump in (if she hasn't been aware of it so far).

12 hours ago, themisfit138 said:

Console Wars - If you want to watch some older comedic videos.

Really enjoy the two man review style they have taking SNES games and putting them up against their Genesis rivals.  Good breakdown of games and the differences between systems.  Common knowledge seems to be that the Super NES had the better version...but things are a lot more even than you would expect in a lot of videos.

They have been around for years but still seem rather unknown.  More people should check them out.

H I D D E N  G E M S ? ? ?

Siivagunner: Highest quality video game ripper on youtube, the sound quality of his stuff just can't be beat.

LSuperSonicQ - Lost media digger, often debunks rumor mill shit like NA GBP2

Matt McMuscles for his Wha Happun show, and nothing else.

miiyouandmii2 - Retrospective stuff, entirely on nintendo.

Mandaloregaming - PC games reviewer

GameHut - One man reliving the glory days of making low rent sonic games, back when his company did more than reskin the same lego game over and over. That is, when he's not trying to shill for cloud gaming.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, hyrulevyse said:

Another vote for Game Sack and @DefaultGen but I'm surprised nobody has mentioned Classic Gaming Quarterly yet.  His console launch videos are excellent and in the same documentary-ish style of Gaming Historian only better imo.  I don't even care about the Sega Master System and I've probably watched his video on it 10 times.

Forgot about classic gaming quarterly, I have seen a few of his videos, great stuff

• Like 2

Graphics Team · Posted

I came here to say Classic Gaming Quarterly as well - or more specifically his secondary channel CGQ+. The retrospective 'Flashback' series on CGQ+ is really cool for people like me who are too young to have experienced the the golden years of classic gaming culture in the late 80s and early 90s.

-CasualCart

• Like 1

On 1/27/2020 at 11:33 PM, KokiriChild said:

videogamedunkey - Not really a retro gaming YouTuber, but rather a main stream gamer/reviewer who is also a comedian. Just felt the need to mention him because, in my opinion, he is the best YouTuber on the entire site as far as per-capita video quality. Every single one has me in stitches.

He's the best. I think his reviews are usually spot on even if he exaggerates some points and makes jokes. 

• Like 1

On 2/2/2020 at 11:26 AM, scaryice said:

I don't think anyone's mentioned Digital Foundry. They have great analysis of how games and consoles perform. Just today, they had a DF Retro video which was an hour-long analysis of every port of Mortal Kombat 1 and how they compared.

The DF Retro series is freakin amazing. I love the amount of detail they go into for each episode.

I'd also like to mention:

Mr. Gentleman has a really good "History of RPGs" series going. His video editing and voiceover isn't the greatest, but he definitely puts a lot of effort and info into each video and it's obvious he is passionate about the subject.

GmanLives has reviewed probably every first-person shooter ever made.

FUgameCrue are not professional, probably not a great source of info, not very serious at all... but I find them hilarious. It's pretty wacky comedy that is probably not for everyone, though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Homebrew Team · Posted

My Life in Gaming posted their new episode, titled Analog Frontiers.  It is about the devices and people that were on the forefront of documentation, preservation, and modding of retro systems.  Brian Parker from RetroUSB, Jeremy Parish from Retronauts, Frank Cifaldi from Video Game History Foundation, and more appear in the video.

f0AOzKwStM0

Ashens: Reviews "tat" aka Dollar Tree junk mostly but does occasionally talk about old games/consoles. He has some interesting information on some items. UK based.

Yesterdays92: My inspiration when it comes to game rooms. He's made a museum out of his game room! Very rarely uploads but amazing game room tours.

MetalJesusRocks: Known for "hidden gem" videos. I get a lot of good info from his videos. He's personally my competition as he lives in WA and has recently moved down into my "area"...so there's mixed feelings there but he does a good job of digging up interesting games.

KidShoryuken: American (?) Youtuber living in Japan. Has a lot of good info on Japanese exclusive games as well as a lot of hunting videos in Japanese stores. Great for finding out info on prices on stuff, places to hunt and little tips here and there.

Cinemassacre: The classic. Home of AVGN. One of the reasons I got into collecting.

SeeJayAre: Canadian Youtuber. Posts haul videos from time to time. Really only subscribed to his channel for his game room tours. He has a cool game room.

fleamarketnegotiator: Sadly a long since dead channel. They used to have tons of flea market hunting videos up but they were getting copywritten striked and pulled down. He has a few up still but yeah...once the videos started getting pulled down he kind of gave up on Youtube and I don't blame him. He was my favorite game hunting Youtuber because he wasn't super talkative/a d-bag/a white guy trying to act "black". Like SOME Youtube game hunters...

jayrod2: Did/does (?) some pretty nice custom consoles. Seems to be a dead channel now.

Game Sack: Has some interesting videos out on consoles and games. Goes in depth about certain consoles and talks about games that were "left in Japan". But since Dave left I haven't actually bothered watching the videos.

Last Gamer: Only subscribed because the guy was posting videos of making his game room and he has a massive arcade and game room so it was impressive to watch but he hasn't uploaded a game room video in awhile and has only uploaded vlog like videos which I'm not a fan of. Still, check out his game room tours.

Nintendo Collecting: And the award for most generic sounding Youtube channel goes to...but joking aside, it's a cool channel. Canadian Youtuber. Has an old but good series of 101 collecting tips that have given me some useful info when I go out to hunt.

There's also Pat The NES Punk but I no longer watch his videos after his game room/collection tour. He seemed so ungrateful about his stuff, casually throwing it around and refering to it as "garbage" or "trash" that I was just disgusted and stopped subscribing to his channel. I really don't like the guy 😕

I think that's it for game related channels but I might have missed one or two.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Edit - I hope resurrecting old threads is not frowned upon here, let know if it is.

I love this list, I was going to make a thread myself on the topic but happy to have found one already. I am checking out every single suggestion. Here are some of my picks that maybe are lesser known/loved,

Stop Skeletons from Fighting – Probably my fav Youtube channel of all time. I am a Patreon. I fondly love Happy Video Game Nerd and Retro-Beats!

https://www.youtube.com/c/StopSkeletonsFromFighting

Chris NEO - The IRATE Gamer – I do not care about the HATE this dude gets his videos are awesome and HILAROIOUS! Fight me!

https://www.youtube.com/c/ChrisNEO

ClanOfTheGrayWolf – 16-Bit Gems is dormant now but Roo has some amazing videos

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coitVPl0_dw&list=PL05A51C154B1BBD00

HappyConsoleGamer – Specifically his stories/discussions talking about the past and collecting in the 90s. Canada Pride!

https://www.youtube.com/user/HappyConsoleGamer

Classic Gaming Quarterly – Absolute binge worthy channel. The VG magazine reads are fantasic, I never thought they would be but that are sublime.

https://www.youtube.com/c/CGQuarterly

Retro Bird – I more recently discovered this channel and it is really solid. Still exploring this one but really like the video topics.

https://www.youtube.com/c/RetroBirdGaming

Retroware - This was one of the very first channels/sites I found when starting to get really it collecting back in the late 2000's. Still enjoy the older content

https://www.youtube.com/c/retrowaretv

strafefox – Excellent mini-documentary style videos

https://www.youtube.com/c/strafefox

Summoning Salt - I never thought I would be interested in speed running but the way these videos are presented… Masterpieces!

https://www.youtube.com/c/SummoningSalt

So thats just some of the channels I follow and really enjoy, more to come.

Edited by killerkobra
  • Like 3