Jump to content
IGNORED

Wata 9.2 A+ equals to what VGA???


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMO Wata tends to grade their games higher than VGA. I've seen both and while neither one is 100% accurate, VGA seems more reasonable. To me anything in the 9's should be near perfect.

I would agree with hyrulevyse.  Two different grading systems (so apples to oranges), but an 85 usually crosses to 9.2-9.4 A-A+.  Not always though....VGA is VERY strict on wrap.  You could have 8 sha

It just occurred to me, with all these numerical discussions on grades and VGA to WATA conversions, the collecting scene is starting to seem like complex algebra! VGA85+ = WATA (x)A++ Solve

Grading at Wata used to be somewhat clear cut but the last order I sent changed all that. I've subbed 3 VGA 90 games in two different orders. The first crossed to Wata 9.8. Two months later the remaining two crossed to Wata 9.4 and 9.2. It should be impossible to have that much variance so idk. I'll find out when I eventually get them back, someday. 

Edited by Startyde
  • Wow! 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LifeGame said:

I dont know but a 9.4 A+ Kung Fu Heroes just sold for 800$usd so if that equals VGA 80 then all I gotta say is thats very very expensive for that title unless i missed something....

Ya prices are crazy. Every game i want to buy everyone seems to want world record highest price ever paid. 90% is resellers buying high and selling even higher. Such a bad time for real collectors

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Startyde said:

Grading at Wata used to be somewhat clear cut but the last order I sent changed all that. I've subbed 3 VGA 90 games in two different orders. The first crossed to Wata 9.8. Two months later the remaining two crossed to Wata 9.4 and 9.2. It should be impossible to have that much variance so idk. I'll find out when I eventually get them back, someday. 

ouch a 90 into a 9.2 😞 i would not be happy to be honest. Do they give your old vga case back so you can send back to vga and get same grade

can i ask why you crossed over

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Ninja_xxx said:

Ya prices are crazy. Every game i want to buy everyone seems to want world record highest price ever paid. 90% is resellers buying high and selling even higher. Such a bad time for real collectors

I agree, but that Kung Fu Heroes round seal has been tough for years now.  There was one 85+ about 1-2 years ago and the rest of them were beat up copies.  It’s a beautiful piece of art work and an early third party title that has run fairly dry.  I can confirm the copy that he spoke of is in a private collection and not being re-sold.  Sigh....collecting is becoming so much more complicated 😉

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Ninja_xxx said:

ouch a 90 into a 9.2 😞 i would not be happy to be honest. Do they give your old vga case back so you can send back to vga and get same grade

can i ask why you crossed over

Definitely not happy. The first game I crossed myself to get an idea of the scale difference. That came back a 9.8 so made sense. This last order was on behalf of someone else and the games were savagely graded less. Either Wata has changed their metrics or the games were damaged somehow. I won't be able to say until I get them in hand. I even called Wata the moment they uploaded the grades and asked what caused them to be so low and they "couldn't tell me" because I didn't order a grading report, despite them just being graded.

I'm not trying to be negative or turn this into Wata bashing (even though I'm unlimitedly annoyed I paid for a 5 day speed run in Nov 2019 and I still don't have the games) but so much of this order is seemingly being handled asinine.

Edited by Startyde
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Startyde said:

Definitely not happy. The first game I crossed myself to get an idea of the scale difference. That came back a 9.8 so made sense. This last order was on behalf of someone else and the games were savagely graded less. Either Wata has changed their metrics or the games were damaged somehow. I won't be able to say until I get them in hand. I even called Wata the moment they uploaded the grades and asked what caused them to be so low and they "couldn't tell me" because I didn't order a grading report, despite them just being graded.

I'm not trying to be negative or turn this into Wata bashing (even though I'm unlimitedly annoyed I paid for a 5 day speed run in Nov 2019 and I still don't have the games) but so much of this order is seemingly being handled asinine.

What were the seal grades given by WATA of the 3 VGA90 items? It could still make some sense for example:

- 9.8 A

- 9.4 A +

- 9.2 A ++

I’m also thinking because there’s so many high 9.6/9.8 games already, they might be marking things a tad more harsh to make it a more even distribution?

Edited by GPX
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would agree with hyrulevyse.  Two different grading systems (so apples to oranges), but an 85 usually crosses to 9.2-9.4 A-A+.  Not always though....VGA is VERY strict on wrap.  You could have 8 sharp corners, but a flawed wrap, and grade out at a 70-75.  That same game could crossover at WATA to a 9.4 B as they have completely different systems.  If wrap is important to you, look for 85+ from VGA and you will have, for the most part a mint game.  Look for 9.2 or higher and A+-A++ for a mint WATA game.  If you want pristine, look for 90-100 on VGA and 9.6-9.8 A+-A++ for WATA

Edited by 1upped
  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, 1upped said:

I agree, but that Kung Fu Heroes round seal has been tough for years now.  There was one 85+ about 1-2 years ago and the rest of them were beat up copies.  It’s a beautiful piece of art work and an early third party title that has run fairly dry.  I can confirm the copy that he spoke of is in a private collection and not being re-sold.  Sigh....collecting is becoming so much more complicated 😉

I have a raw one that should be 85+, guess it will be on my next round of listings!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GPX said:

What were the seal grades given by WATA of the 3 VGA90 items? It could still make some sense for example:

- 9.8 A

- 9.4 A +

- 9.2 A ++

I’m also thinking because there’s so many high 9.6/9.8 games already, they might be marking things a tad more harsh to make it a more even distribution?

It's the latter, the sealed wraps are all A++ so I don't thiiiiiink it's external damage. It must be something else. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Startyde said:

It's the latter, the sealed wraps are all A++ so I don't thiiiiiink it's external damage. It must be something else. 

It just occurred to me, with all these numerical discussions on grades and VGA to WATA conversions, the collecting scene is starting to seem like complex algebra!

VGA85+ = WATA (x)A++

Solve for x.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/27/2020 at 5:18 AM, Ninja_xxx said:

Wata 9.2 A+ is equal to what VGA? i'm new collector and trying to collect 85+ gold and up so need to know.

Thanks

My tip is:

if you are highly specific in your condition criteria of your collection, ask to see photos of all surfaces and use your own eyes to judge for yourself.

Both companies have different criteria in their rating of box and seal so the overall score would not correlate 100%.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, GPX said:

It just occurred to me, with all these numerical discussions on grades and VGA to WATA conversions, the collecting scene is starting to seem like complex algebra!

VGA85+ = WATA (x)A++

Solve for x.

You know GPX, you're onto something bigger my friend. At the end of the day we're talking about numerical representations of someone's opinion on the condition of your videogame. In the grand scheme of what's important in the world, it doesn't crack the top million. Not worth getting tooooooo upset about.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Startyde said:

You know GPX, you're onto something bigger my friend. At the end of the day we're talking about numerical representations of someone's opinion on the condition of your videogame. In the grand scheme of what's important in the world, it doesn't crack the top million. Not worth getting tooooooo upset about.

Depends on the angle. Not important for the human race to advance. Important in that these numerical representations can be a big difference in whether you can go on a trip around the world OR go starving for a month or two.

In previous years, I can remember buying a sealed game and just soak up on all the nostalgia, the history and the art on the game. Now things aren’t as simple/innocent as it once was.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

What frustrates me is that they really are almost two completely different scales.  It makes no sense to me that two companies can be so different.  

If I have a baseball card, I know to look for centering, corners, edges, chipping, etc.  BGS and PSA will give very close grades the vast majority of the game.  

Granted, a game is three dimensional but the criteria between companies seems completely different.  VGA penalizes for stickers,  Wata doesn't seem to consider them a big flaw.  Wata was initially lenient on PS1 drill holes (unbelievably), but thankfully they seemed to have correct it.  Yet they grade the manual on a PS1 single case game which I'm not a fan of either.

Ultimately, I'm an experienced collector and know Mint when I see it.  I don't need a 3rd party service to tell me that.  Where I do need the 3rd party service is to provide an opinion so that others who don't have an eye for condition will believe it is in the stated condition.  But then the game becomes valued and collected solely on its numerical grade, and when you encounter lots of head scratching grades, it makes buying graded a damn nightmare.  

I don't know what I tend to like on Wata anymore.  I thought it was 9.6 / A+ but I've seen a bit of play in that grade too. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Welcome to VGS!

    Play, Make, Collect.

    Here at VGS all kinds of gamers are welcome, and that includes you!

    Join the conversation!

×
×
  • Create New...