IGNORED

Star Keeper - General Collector’s Discussion

Lambda

I bought my copy "LE # 7" on the original thread in Nintendo Age back in 2014.

I remember I paid 39 USD plus shipping 10 USD. I don't think the developer made any money, rather he probably sold at cost given the quality and how well constructed the edition was and how carefully it was packaged.

I´m a Chilean video game collector and probably is the only copy in South America.

505907012_CapturadePantalla2021-02-15ala(s)10_04_47.png.8ed17f35d169d2e7db130f0f8b7739dd.pngUnknown.thumb.jpg.e654a66d46747a9b5addc1c699d5f5e1.jpg

Edited by DrAfrokid
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

I can't praise this homebrew highly enough.  I really wish the creator would see these high dollar sales and become motivated to release a second game.  I think a release even at many times the original cost would sell out immediately.  He stated he was working on a second game shortly after release.  Such a shame such a highly skilled developer would be one and done.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
8 hours ago, RetroX85 said:

It probably wasn't on eBay for very long. If I had to guess maybe a day or less. But really I have no clue. It is one of the custom text editions. (Not the LE numbered)  Wish I knew what it sold for..assuming someone didn't just "Buy it Now"

It sold for $1000. I plan on making a video about why it was sold, But long story short, it was a gift for my daughter and she ended up not enjoying it and would rather have some other things.

3 hours ago, DestructoDisk said:

It sold for $1000. I plan on making a video about why it was sold, But long story short, it was a gift for my daughter and she ended up not enjoying it and would rather have some other things.

I know, it is a very difficult game. Its good you decided to sell it and get her other things that she would enjoy. 

I like how people rave about how good a game it is when really no one gets past the first 2 stages. 

Like, is it that good of a game then? I played the shit out of it when I had my and never beat the 3rd stage. Isn't part of being a great game having a realistic difficulty curve?

Hot take: over priced and over rated.

1 minute ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I like how people rave about how good a game it is when really no one gets past the first 2 stages. 

Like, is it that good of a game then? I played the shit out of it when I had my and never beat the 3rd stage. Isn't part of being a great game having a realistic difficulty curve?

Yeah, I agree with you. I wish I could figure out that damn extra lives code thats hidden in the games manual.... Then maybe I would have a good chance at beating it 🤷‍♂️ 🤣

I suppose scarcity and a few other important factors can drive up the value significantly. 

2 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

As far as Star Keeper, I really enjoyed the game. I got to stage 4. The challenge is what makes it fun. Overall I probably only spent a couple hours with the game. Initially getting past the second wave in stage 1 was hard, but the challenge is fair, so it makes you want to keep coming back for more. If the game was mine, I wouldn’t have sold it. Its kinda like Ninja Gaiden, a difficult game, but it feels rewarding. Im sure I could have beaten Star Keeper if I had played it more. The overall presentation of graphics and sound is quite nice. Theres also a pretty broken power up that shoots in 4 directions, that can help you get pretty far if you hang on to it.

4 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Just checked it out on YouTube again, my copy is still in the states indefinitely. 

Is the game really so difficult? Unless the controls are piss poor, it looks really simple to me.

It controls a lot like Balloon Fight, which I find fun to control. Its flying momentum based controls. It gets difficult when there are a lot of enemies on screen and a lot of projectiles. Similar to some shoot em ups, getting power ups and holding on to them is very important. The longer the wave goes on, it seems the more enemies keep coming. Most of the enemies will try to stop you from just flying past them, so you really have to deal with them asap.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DestructoDisk said:

It controls a lot like Balloon Fight, which I find fun to control. Its flying momentum based controls. It gets difficult when there are a lot of enemies on screen and a lot of projectiles. Similar to some shoot em ups, getting power ups and holding on to them is very important. The longer the wave goes on, it seems the more enemies keep coming. Most of the enemies will try to stop you from just flying past them, so you really have to deal with them asap.

I am playing it right now and I am currently on stage 4 wave 2.  I am really trying to beat this game. Wish me luck because I may have to keep my NES powered on for days so I don't lose any progress lol

16175773879003779234001061912821.jpg

3 hours ago, RetroX85 said:

I am playing it right now and I am currently on stage 4 wave 2.  I am really trying to beat this game. Wish me luck because I may have to keep my NES powered on for days so I don't lose any progress lol

Why?  Is it unlimited continues or are the levels just really long?

EDIT: and who wants to sell me one?  I keep missing them on eBay...

Edited by Dr. Morbis
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dr. Morbis said:

Why?  Is it unlimited continues or are the levels just really long?

EDIT: and who wants to sell me one?  I keep missing them on eBay...

Unlimited continues. If you lose all your lives  (starting with 3 lives each time) you will get a "Game Over" screen.

You can either choose "Continue" which will keep you on the current stage to keep trying OR you can choose "End" which will take you back to the title screen and start from stage 1. 

I really like this homebrew but a password level option would have been a huge help.