IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

54 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

Did you see the governor's press conference today? We got a 21 day curfew between 10 pm and 5 am. Anyone that "needs" to be out gets an exception. It's just more of his clueless nonsense.

Yeah, what really should have been done months ago was completely shut down state to state travel other than for necessity.  We also aren't going to get enough of a benefit from a half ass curfew either, but at least it's better than states who's governors still think Covid isn't real I guess 😐

3 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

Yeah, what really should have been done months ago was completely shut down state to state travel other than for necessity.  

Unfortunately, there is no practical way to do that, and if you think yokels piss and moan about something like masks, just wait until they have legitimately gripe that they're under martial law.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Unfortunately, there is no practical way to do that, and if you think yokels piss and moan about something like masks, just wait until they have legitimately gripe that they're under martial law.

I thought Florida ended up doing that back when this all first went down?

I was starting to think we would start to be okay by Q2 next year. But with this spread, I think it will go even longer; not sure if that means end of Q3 or later. As far as a vaccine goes, even if I have access, I am going to wait atleast three months to see how other people respond to it. Not sure if others will be ready to take the vacvine immediately.

Any new thoughts on duration?

49 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I thought Florida ended up doing that back when this all first went down?

Out of all the states other than Hawaii and Alaska, Florida likely has the most controllable border.

But they weren't completely shutting the border, either.  They were logging out of state plates and demanding that they quarantine, or something to that effect.  I didn't read what they were doing/telling in-state plates coming back in.

14 minutes ago, Californication said:

I was starting to think we would start to be okay by Q2 next year. But with this spread, I think it will go even longer; not sure if that means end of Q3 or later. As far as a vaccine goes, even if I have access, I am going to wait atleast three months to see how other people respond to it. Not sure if others will be ready to take the vacvine immediately.

Any new thoughts on duration?

If people are willing to take the vaccine, with two viable candidates now, both with very high efficacy, then it's plausible to get mass vaccinations performed before the end of Q2.

Keep in mind, they aren't manufacturing starting now -- they were funded ahead of time to start mass manufacture in advance.

Personally, I'll take either vaccine as soon as it is available.  I have too much work travel that potentially needs to happen, with or without it.

And as soon as any of them are approved for kids, I'll let my kids get it as well.

"Waiting 3 months" if studies have already shown safe/effective isn't going to matter.

The kinds of "unknown problems" are going to be long-term side effects (potentially years in the future) that we just have to accept the risk of, in the presence of apparent short-term safety.

EDIT: add to that -- I STRONGLY suspect that as soon as mass vaccines are available, schools, hotels, airlines, etc will REQUIRE proof of vaccination (i.e. the kind of travel vaccine card that international travelers are familiar with) and that will in turn incentivize holdouts to go ahead and get it done.

The only way it will work, is that it isn't really going to be optional for people that want to be in otherwise "high risk" spaces and activities.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Waiting 3 months" if studies have already shown safe/effective isn't going to matter.

The kinds of "unknown problems" are going to be long-term side effects (potentially years in the future) that we just have to accept the risk of, in the presence of apparent short-term safety.

I see people bring this up all the time and I respond similarly.

The fact is that between the 4 vaccine candidates, nearly 200k ppl have been vaccinated for several months and holding out a new months after the vaccine is available isn't going to prove to be a stroke of genius rather than prolonging the enviable.

1 hour ago, Californication said:

not sure if that means end of Q3 or later

Q3 is when the Johnson and Johnson vaccine is suppose to come to market which doesn't need to be stored at ridiculously cold temperatures like the two that are ready now. It may be the nail in the coffin as it may even be a Walgreens and CVS. 

The director of the Oxford Vaccine was asked about herd immunity and his response was here immunity will be achieved, not through infection but through vaccination. 

My genuine hope is that when the vaccine gets approved big names receive it in film. I would LOVE to see Biden and Trump both getting the vaccine. I think it would put a lot of doubt to rest. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Doctornick said:

Yeah, what really should have been done months ago was completely shut down state to state travel other than for necessity.  We also aren't going to get enough of a benefit from a half ass curfew either, but at least it's better than states who's governors still think Covid isn't real I guess 😐

It's probably a no win situation. Nobody wants things shut down, but simply asking people to be responsible isn't really working either. I guess it's just on us to be as safe as possible.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

The director of the Oxford Vaccine was asked about herd immunity and his response was here immunity will be achieved, not through infection but through vaccination. 

Yeah, that was always my thought, too. As nasty as some of the side effects are to the vaccine, the potential long term damage COVID can do to a person, even if it doesn't have them pushing up daisies, is pretty damn scary.

On 11/17/2020 at 5:33 PM, RegularGuyGamer said:
On 11/17/2020 at 4:20 PM, Californication said:

Q3 is when the Johnson and Johnson vaccine is suppose to come to market which doesn't need to be stored at ridiculously cold temperatures like the two that are ready now. It may be the nail in the coffin as it may even be a Walgreens and CVS. 

Yeah when I heard the other two used RNA I was a bit concerned. Not for any effectiveness or safety reasons but because that shit is FRAGILE. We used to work with it in the last lab I worked in, and everyone else had to be out of the lab while that person worked with. DNA is less fragile than RNA and I’ve even managed to fuck up some DNA samples by being a bit careless. I can’t imagine if I had to work with RNA regularly.

All of that to say, the reason I was concerned is because that shit is DIFFICULT to transport which means an RNA-based vaccine would take a long time to distribute around the country.

25 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

All of that to say, the reason I was concerned is because that shit is DIFFICULT to transport which means an RNA-based vaccine would take a long time to distribute around the country.

Yep they're keeping it at -20C which is FRIGID lol But from what I read it can go from -20C to a regular freezer and last for up to 2 days.

I am expecting these to be delivered in a convoy honestly. I know Drumph said a couple times the national guard is ready to distribute the vaccine. I would assume they'll be treating this stuff like liquid gold. 

1 hour ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Yep they're keeping it at -20C which is FRIGID lol But from what I read it can go from -20C to a regular freezer and last for up to 2 days.

I am expecting these to be delivered in a convoy honestly. I know Drumph said a couple times the national guard is ready to distribute the vaccine. I would assume they'll be treating this stuff like liquid gold. 

We kept our samples at -80 😅

One of my biggest pet peeves of working in a lab is when someone moves my samples without telling me, so I have dig through what feels like Hoth to find them again. Or when someone doesn’t tighten the liquid nitrogen tank enough, so it leaks out slowly and freezes the handle (-196 C or -350 F).

Blame the politicians on both sides.  It was so weaponized as a cheap ploy to score points in the election it got to where it drowned out the conversation going on to help vs who was trying to kill each other more on either side from the local government to the congress and up from there.  People got burned out and now are suspicious and less likely to believe what they're told beyond wear a mask and little else.

• Thanks 1

Administrator · Posted

The OVERWHELMING guidance from professionals, doctors, scientists, local, state, and federal government officials, including the white house / administration, has been that masks and social distancing are effective and encouraged.  

There should be absolutely no doubt about that in anyone's minds right now.  If people want to use "politics" as an excuse or justification for their unsafe behavior, so be it, but let's just be clear that the direction we've been receiving for many months now has not been confusing about things we can all do to stay safe.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, spacepup said:

The OVERWHELMING guidance from professionals, doctors, scientists, local, state, and federal government officials, including the white house / administration, has been that masks and social distancing are effective and encouraged.  

There should be absolutely no doubt about that in anyone's minds right now.  If people want to use "politics" as an excuse or justification for their unsafe behavior, so be it, but let's just be clear that the direction we've been receiving for many months now has not been confusing about things we can all do to stay safe.

Most of the people who flaunt the rules/warnings are by and large in a demographic that is likely "safe" due to age and physical condition.  Just about everyone knows what to do, there are just more and more everyday who simply aren't willing to do it anymore (if they ever were).  People are selfish, so the "think about other people who you could affect" isn't motivating enough. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tanooki said:

Blame the politicians on both sides.  It was so weaponized as a cheap ploy to score points in the election it got to where it drowned out the conversation going on to help vs who was trying to kill each other more on either side from the local government to the congress and up from there.  People got burned out and now are suspicious and less likely to believe what they're told beyond wear a mask and little else.

Blame both sides is nonsense. 

It is all Trump’s and the “BuT Our FreEdOm” crowds fault. 

Bannon telling people he wants to see Fauci’s head on a pike is all that needs to be said. 

• Haha 1

On 11/14/2020 at 10:32 PM, captmorgandrinker said:

KNOCK OFF THE POLITICAL SHIT. 

NOW.

You have a club; you even have another thread in here about the election where you can get all political.   If it keeps up in here there will be warning points doled out.

That is all.   -capt

For anybody that missed this last week.

• Haha 2

6 hours ago, B.A. said:

Most of the people who flaunt the rules/warnings are by and large in a demographic that is likely "safe" due to age and physical condition.  Just about everyone knows what to do, there are just more and more everyday who simply aren't willing to do it anymore (if they ever were).  People are selfish, so the "think about other people who you could affect" isn't motivating enough. 

See the same situation in Taiwan every day. Sure, we are mostly "safe" over here, but it wasn't clear what would happen at the beginning, and people took the same attitude from the beginning.

Every day when I go buy my breakfast, some garden variety wanker gets into my space, mask less of course.

People are just selfish assholes, that's been made clear to me by now. And some food for thought: if this is happening in a country where people are used to masking up , of course there's going to be tons of problems in a country that isn't.

• Like 1