Jump to content
jonebone

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Rhino said:

Its going to be a hot mess. Safety always comes first though.

Imagine the amount of children in a should district that need professional assistance to live their daily lives. The school districts have signed legal binding documents to ensure those students get that assistance. 

There is an element of safety that comes with those children being in the care of trained professionals for 8 hours a day. I think a lot of districts are making decisions based on their students who need school the most which are those who are ID or need other life skills. 

Don't get me wrong, I do not want to go back into the classroom for the foreseeable future. I get sick as hell every year, even in the face of a flu shot. The amount of viruses I'm exposed to is massive and they'll only compound on top of w.e symptoms COVID will give me. I run a low grade fever about 2 days a week from October to April so temp checking would get rid of about half the staff on a wkly basis. 

But I can see where districts are coming from. They want to keep the interest of their those who need school most which isn't me or the kids in my classroom. It's the kids you never see and the teachers & professionals doing the Lord's work with our population that have special needs.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My school district will be fully remote for September and October, and the plan is to go to a hybrid model in November. All school districts in Massachusetts have to have three models ready for the fall (fully in person, hybrid, remote), knowing full well we’re not returning in person any time soon.

Florida has mandated an in-person option for all students for this coming school year starting in August  

I’m guessing we see a spike on the National level once hotspots like Florida force a reopening, and we’ll ultimately stay remote for the entire school year. 

We’ve seen a spike in EEE positive mosquitoes the past two years, so it’s limited our ability to utilize outdoor space this fall. That’s a big reason for us starting remote among other things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Californication said:

FYI, I heard a cloth covering is like 60% effective compared to an N95 -- 95%. 

 

The 95 stands for blocks "95% of small particles".  That is not quite the same thing as specifically being 95% effective against covid-19.

Could be more, or less, depending on the properties of the particulate in question.

Wearing an N95 with exhaust valves practically defeats the purpose of general mask wearing (i.e. protecting others from yourself), so people need to be cautious of what kind they use if they are using that type of mask.

 

Interestingly, there were some studies of using various types of paper filter in cloth masks that achieve the practical effectiveness of N95, at least as it specifically relates to exhaled particulate transmission. (i.e. effective if everyone does it)

Edited by arch_8ngel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Imagine the amount of children in a should district that need professional assistance to live their daily lives. The school districts have signed legal binding documents to ensure those students get that assistance. 

There is an element of safety that comes with those children being in the care of trained professionals for 8 hours a day. I think a lot of districts are making decisions based on their students who need school the most which are those who are ID or need other life skills. 

Don't get me wrong, I do not want to go back into the classroom for the foreseeable future. I get sick as hell every year, even in the face of a flu shot. The amount of viruses I'm exposed to is massive and they'll only compound on top of w.e symptoms COVID will give me. I run a low grade fever about 2 days a week from October to April so temp checking would get rid of about half the staff on a wkly basis. 

But I can see where districts are coming from. They want to keep the interest of their those who need school most which isn't me or the kids in my classroom. It's the kids you never see and the teachers & professionals doing the Lord's work with our population that have special needs.  

The situation sucks either way. Maybe some middle ground? Like certain teachers and parents sign waivers saying they understand the risks of COVID-19 but will do in person teaching regardless. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been getting frequent minor migraines from all this heat plus mask usage. Summer is halfway over, thank god.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't understand this idea that we'll be opening schools when things calm down in November.  Based on the data, unless we go full shelter in place or start ticketing people for not wearing masks, late fall and winter is going to be dark and brutal.  Its like were staring at a raging forest fire and arguing over the efficacy of pouring gasoline on it....

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We used to take our temperature every day to be allowed in the school I work at, by now they have a temperature detection machine in the front door, but not in the back. My church, the post office, etc checks temps.

Problem is, it won't solve all cases. Lady week I walked down to the post office, denied entry due to having a (high) fever. Keep in mind it was about noon when I walked down, feel like temperature of 104 F outside, with me carrying two large parcels, mask on my face, etc. Went to 7-11, ate an ice cream, temp dropped significantly. Not a true fever, just hyperthermia. If I came to work like that, I'd have been sent home, not sick or anything.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ohio starts mandatory masks today, which it's about time.  I feel bad for any of you who may be teachers or work in schools in any capacity.  Hopefully they are able to figure something out, but half of the states seem to not really believe in science so I'm sure a safe solution will be non-existent.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Doctornick said:

Ohio starts mandatory masks today, which it's about time.  I feel bad for any of you who may be teachers or work in schools in any capacity.  Hopefully they are able to figure something out, but half of the states seem to not really believe in science so I'm sure a safe solution will be non-existent.

I'm surprised it took that long honestly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm surprised it took that long honestly.

I am and am not at the same time.  It seems like scoring political points is almost more important than public health and safety, but is confusing because of how well Dewine initially reacted back in March.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

I am and am not at the same time.  It seems like scoring political points is almost more important than public health and safety, but is confusing because of how well Dewine initially reacted back in March.  

I'm not sure if it will work. Clermont county has had a mask mandate for two weeks now and maybe 25% of people are wearing them and nobody is enforcing it because business aren't willing to turn away customers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm not sure if it will work. Clermont county has had a mask mandate for two weeks now and maybe 25% of people are wearing them and nobody is enforcing it because business aren't willing to turn away customers.

It's strange because up here in Summit and Cuyahoga it is the opposite because we're getting hit much worse.  I hope that doesn't become the case down by you, but if people from nearby areas that are much worse come into stores in Clermont I'm sure that's going to be what happens. @captmorgandrinker idk why I can't delete this @

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bearcat-Doug said:

I'm surprised it took that long honestly.

He tried in once early on (I think late April?) and walked it back the next day from the outcry.

That was the first indication I had that he'd lost his spine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Found this under the comments section of Darius Truxton's last video.

Off topic, but you'll find this interview interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYa4Smbw_TE This doctor says there is no coronavirus: people are actually getting sick and dying of 5G radiation, which causes oxygen deprivation. They want to give everyone a "vaccine" that protects them from 5G, so they can use it freely all over the country."
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually had a vendor rant to me at work yesterday that masks actually cause COVID more than they stop it because it makes you breathe in your own out-breathe. He also begged everyone within hearing distance to vote for Trump because he's the least likely candidate to mandate masks which will inevitably kill us all. He yelled all this without wearing a mask in a room full of people wearing masks. I live in Florida. We are doomed.

Edited by KokiriChild
  • Wow! 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KokiriChild said:

Actually had a vendor rant to me at work yesterday that masks actually cause COVID more than they stop it because it makes you breathe in your own out-breathe. He also begged everyone within hearing distance to vote for Trump because he's the least likely candidate to mandate masks which will inevitably kill us all. He yelled all this without wearing a mask in a room full of people wearing masks. I live in Florida. We are doomed.

I'm trying not to laugh at the stupidity but wow. I don't see what's wrong with his logic. Makes perfect sense to me lol. When you wear a mask, you breathe your own breath more, so you give yourself corona by infecting yourself with your own breath. Corona comes from within you and is only contagious when you breathe it out of you, then breathe it back in, got it. BUT it is not contagious to others. You can only spread it when you have a mask on, and can only spread it to yourself. 

Seriously though wow. I can't believe this is a real person. Sorry man and good luck! 

Edited by Makar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, KokiriChild said:

Actually had a vendor rant to me at work yesterday that masks actually cause COVID more than they stop it because it makes you breathe in your own out-breathe. He also begged everyone within hearing distance to vote for Trump because he's the least likely candidate to mandate masks which will inevitably kill us all. He yelled all this without wearing a mask in a room full of people wearing masks. I live in Florida. We are doomed.

Now, now, chin up and all... oh, yeah, Florida 😕 

Screenshot from 2020-08-01 15-22-26.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, avatar! said:

Now, now, chin up and all... oh, yeah, Florida 😕 

Screenshot from 2020-08-01 15-22-26.png

0JV6423.gif

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

^^ now I want to watch some good ol' TNG! you know, back when people were more optimistic and stupidity seemed less contagious. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No sympathy!

Rich snobs being rich snobs...

Greenwich health officials have said that contact tracers have had a difficult time tracking down teenagers willing to admit having been at the gatherings. Several students contacted for this article said they did not feel comfortable discussing the events. In some cases, students said that they had been told by their parents not to share information about the parties.

 

Screenshot from 2020-08-01 18-46-58.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...