IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

44 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

If you like school girls in their 40s tilted kilt is the place for you.

Could be worse:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maid_café

Supposedly there are restaurants in Japan where the waitresses dress as schoolgirls and the second floor has a glass floor so the people on the first floor can look up their skirts.  The Japanese are often very strange.

3 minutes ago, Tabonga said:

Could be worse:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maid_café

Supposedly there are restaurants in Japan where the waitresses dress as schoolgirls and the second floor has a glass floor so the people on the first floor can look up their skirts.  The Japanese are often very strange.

Great, now you can explain to @Bearcat-Doug family why he is going to Japan for the next month 🤣

• Haha 1

Covid is still fake guys, meanwhile Ohio has jumped over 10,000 cases in a week and two of the largest hospitals in my area are starting to overflow ICUs.  Unless people don't mind their family member in a hospital room next door to someone with COVID, wear a damn mask.

Edited by Doctornick
  • Like 2

Events Team · Posted
24 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

Unless people don't mind their family member in a hospital room next door to someone with COVID, wear a damn mask.

Um, ThE mAsKs ArEn'T aIr TiGhT yOu KnOw, ThEy DoN't FuLlY pRoTeCt YoU fRoM tHe ViRuS, sO tHeRe'S nO pOiNt In WeArInG tHeM

- A slightly paraphrased quote from a family member of mine.

As a side note, this family member also believes the fatality rate of the virus is a tiny fraction of a percent, most of the people who die from the virus are just old, retired people, most of the cases are just from a bunch of retirement homes, and that most of the younger people who get it barely even notice it.

1201b272fff832a9cea07e0f36d340c7.png

eb41bcbb002d676fda2786177e42c524.png

Must be a hell of a lot of retirement homes around here, huh?

Sorry, I'm not usually one to explode in anger like that, I've just had a lot of pent up aggression towards this particular family member for all of these asinine beliefs. And yes, I've tried to talk some sense in to them and show them some more up to date stats. I'll let you take a guess on whether or not I successfully convinced them that it's just a ᵗᶦⁿʸ bit worse than they initially thought.

I can only imagine how you feel if this is how pissed off I'm getting over a single person still believing shit like this. I'm really sorry.

Edited by ZeldaFreak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Administrator · Posted
30 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

Covid is still fake guys, meanwhile Ohio has jumped over 10,000 cases in a week and two of the largest hospitals in my area are starting to overflow ICUs.  Unless people don't mind their family member in a hospital room next door to someone with COVID, wear a damn mask.

Might start to see those decrease in the next couple weeks with some big players (Walmart, Target, BJs) requiring masks starting today.  

We're waiting to see what the school year looks like.   Anybody's guess at this point.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

We're waiting to see what the school year looks like.   Anybody's guess at this point.

No joke.

We have more runway than most, since our schools don't start until the day after Labor Day.  But we're getting my daughter registered for the local Lutheran School as a backup option for 1st grade that we'll use depending on where things are in September and how the schools phase in classes. 

They at least have the flexibility of smaller class sizes that let them manage things better with the kids.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Might start to see those decrease in the next couple weeks with some big players (Walmart, Target, BJs) requiring masks starting today.  

Oh man I would love to just stand outside a walmart to see the “masks are mind control” folk rage about not being able to spend their unemployment checks on diet dew

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rhino said:

No way schools are in person this fall.

Going to depend on the state and public-vs-private.

The school (in coastal VA) we're registering for as a backup for the fall claims they'll definitely be open with smaller class sizes and various risk management efforts they've been using during the summer for summer child care. (my younger kid will be going there for Pre-K anyway)

And the public schools are attempting to prioritize getting the youngest kids back in first, though it would be challenging whether or not they do every-other-day or all remote. 

But we'll see where things are in a month and a half.

Edited by arch_8ngel

1 hour ago, arch_8ngel said:

Going to depend on the state and public-vs-private.

The school (in coastal VA) we're registering for as a backup for the fall claims they'll definitely be open with smaller class sizes and various risk management efforts they've been using during the summer for summer child care. (my younger kid will be going there for Pre-K anyway)

And the public schools are attempting to prioritize getting the youngest kids back in first, though it would be challenging whether or not they do every-other-day or all remote. 

But we'll see where things are in a month and a half.

Seems like a super smart idea to me. Let's open everything back up when we're spiking and setting all time records left and right. What could go wrong?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrWunderful said:

Oh man I would love to just stand outside a walmart to see the “masks are mind control” folk rage about not being able to spend their unemployment checks on diet dew

When did so many people become anti-vaxers in the U.S? Not wearing a mask because it "takes away your freedom" is the same thing as refusing to get a vaccine for your kid so they can attend school. Both a vaccine and a mask are aimed at lessening the spread of a disease and protecting not just you but those around you. WEAR A FUCKING MASK. (Not directed at you. It's directed at any idiot who refuses to wear a mask in public.)

Edited by Rhino
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Rhino said:

When did so many people become anti-vaxers in the U.S? Not wearing a mask because it "takes away your freedom" is the same thing as refusing to get a vaccine for your kid so they can attend school. Both a vaccine and a mask are aimed at lessening the spread of a disease and protecting not just you but those around you. WEAR A FUCKING MASK. (Not directed at you. It's directed at any idiot who refuses to wear a mask in public.)

I personally attribute the politicization of Mask usage 100% to the political climate Trump has Created in this country.  We can discuss that more in the political thread though. 

I am 100% on board with wearing a mask. I wear a bandana almost exclusively, and love people not knowing who I am when also wearing a hat/glasses. 

I think back to all the times I smelled someone randoms terrible breath, and now realize their mucous and spit was entering my nostrils, I would take wearing a mask over that ANY DAY. 

Not personally a huge fan of China, but I do like their culture around masks. 

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Rhino said:

No way schools are in person this fall.

I had my superintendent and assistance superintendent send an email Tuesday proposing their plan for a full in person reopen, no alternating days, no online option aside from the one the district has always offered, nothing but business as usual. 

The school board met Thursday and unveiled their plan to reopen which included no in person classes. They had 3 phases, starting with no in person classes, followed by alternating schedules and finally a full reopen once vaccines are made available to the public. 

Talk about a divide! We're one of the bigger districts in the state and we're always in the running for state champs in baseball so we do get a lot of eyes on how we handle things. But damn. I still have no idea what I'm going into come August.

Funny thing is, we have a zoom meeting scheduled for 2 wks before school starts bc it's too risky to meet in person and may potential all be meeting in person 2 weeks later 😐 If only Americans understood irony.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

I had my superintendent and assistance superintendent send an email Tuesday proposing their plan for a full in person reopen, no alternating days, no online option aside from the one the district has always offered, nothing but business as usual. 

The school board met Thursday and unveiled their plan to reopen which included no in person classes. They had 3 phases, starting with no in person classes, followed by alternating schedules and finally a full reopen once vaccines are made available to the public. 

Talk about a divide! We're one of the bigger districts in the state and we're always in the running for state champs in baseball so we do get a lot of eyes on how we handle things. But damn. I still have no idea what I'm going into come August.

Funny thing is, we have a zoom meeting scheduled for 2 wks before school starts bc it's too risky to meet in person and may potential all be meeting in person 2 weeks later 😐 If only Americans understood irony.

Vaccines won't be ready for another 6-12 months. Opening up schools in person means putting kids and their relatives' lives at risk. I foresee lots of lawsuits if schools open in person this fall. All it takes is one death from COVID-19.

13 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

I personally attribute the politicization of Mask usage 100% to the political climate Trump has Created in this country.  We can discuss that more in the political thread though. 

I am 100% on board with wearing a mask. I wear a bandana almost exclusively, and love people not knowing who I am when also wearing a hat/glasses. 

I think back to all the times I smelled someone randoms terrible breath, and now realize their mucous and spit was entering my nostrils, I would take wearing a mask over that ANY DAY. 

Not personally a huge fan of China, but I do like their culture around masks. 

FYI, I heard a cloth covering is like 60% effective compared to an N95 -- 95%. 

Personally, I might start putting a piece of cloth over my N95 doesn't look as ominous. 

Edited by Californication

19 minutes ago, Rhino said:

I foresee lots of lawsuits if schools open in person this fall

There or law suits because we're not in school. Meeting 504 and IEP requirements and accomodations online for teachers who can barely meet them in the classroom is a problem.

My distrists is in several lawsuits just bc of the 8 weeks of ungraded, completely optional distance learning. I can't imagine how many more will come once the work is graded and attendance is mandatory. 

6 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

There or law suits because we're not in school. Meeting 504 and IEP requirements and accomodations online for teachers who can barely meet them in the classroom is a problem.

My distrists is in several lawsuits just bc of the 8 weeks of ungraded, completely optional distance learning. I can't imagine how many more will come once the work is graded and attendance is mandatory. 

Its going to be a hot mess. Safety always comes first though.

2 minutes ago, Rhino said:

Its going to be a hot mess. Safety always comes first though.

Imagine the amount of children in a should district that need professional assistance to live their daily lives. The school districts have signed legal binding documents to ensure those students get that assistance. 

There is an element of safety that comes with those children being in the care of trained professionals for 8 hours a day. I think a lot of districts are making decisions based on their students who need school the most which are those who are ID or need other life skills. 

Don't get me wrong, I do not want to go back into the classroom for the foreseeable future. I get sick as hell every year, even in the face of a flu shot. The amount of viruses I'm exposed to is massive and they'll only compound on top of w.e symptoms COVID will give me. I run a low grade fever about 2 days a week from October to April so temp checking would get rid of about half the staff on a wkly basis. 

But I can see where districts are coming from. They want to keep the interest of their those who need school most which isn't me or the kids in my classroom. It's the kids you never see and the teachers & professionals doing the Lord's work with our population that have special needs.  

• Like 2

My school district will be fully remote for September and October, and the plan is to go to a hybrid model in November. All school districts in Massachusetts have to have three models ready for the fall (fully in person, hybrid, remote), knowing full well we’re not returning in person any time soon.

Florida has mandated an in-person option for all students for this coming school year starting in August  

I’m guessing we see a spike on the National level once hotspots like Florida force a reopening, and we’ll ultimately stay remote for the entire school year. 

We’ve seen a spike in EEE positive mosquitoes the past two years, so it’s limited our ability to utilize outdoor space this fall. That’s a big reason for us starting remote among other things.