IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

8 hours ago, Estil said:

How in the world do they even manage?  I mean I would figure a country with such a rich storied history (they gave us our modern base-10 numbering system (along with the Arabs) as well as chess among other things) not to mention a nuclear country (since 1974) would be able to have a higher standard of living than that. 😞  Still I guess having over a billion people can get yourself spread a little too thin...

Cost of living is insanely cheap in India.  $2000 USD is roughly equal to 149,300 INR (not fancy living, but enough to be comfortable).  Food, Labor, etc. are all fairly inexpensive -- its mostly property which is costly (or alternately, imported items like electronics due to taxes).

When I visited back in 2003, an entire days's food (Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner) only cost me 100 Rupees a day.  On the flip side, when I visited the store, brand new Game Boy Color systems (which were already outdated by then, having been replaced with GBA) were being sold for 25,000 INR (roughly $350).

Hospitalizations continue to increase, but it's only because of more testing 🙄.  I can't believe there is still any divide on this, we saw someone getting forced out of a local business because she refused to wear a mask.  Thankfully other customers seemed to be aiding store staff, so that was a small win.  

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

Hospitalizations continue to increase, but it's only because of more testing 🙄.  I can't believe there is still any divide on this, we saw someone getting forced out of a local business because she refused to wear a mask.  Thankfully other customers seemed to be aiding store staff, so that was a small win.  

When people say that increased testing is the reason there are more cases, I point to the positivity rate. As of two days ago California's positivity rate went from 4% to 7% over a two week period.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Californication said:

When people say that increased testing is the reason there are more cases, I point to the positivity rate. As of two days ago California's positivity rate went from 4% to 7% over a two week period.

Yeah, I've been explaining that to patients as well as friends and family for months now.  I'd probably have better results hitting my head on a brick wall.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Doctornick said:

Yeah, I've been explaining that to patients as well as friends and family for months now.  I'd probably have better results hitting my head on a brick wall.

Lol. I had never heard of that measurement before, but once I did, it made perfect sense. I'm an accountant though. I could imagine it being tricky for people that aren't familiar with ratios.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Californication said:

Lol. I had never heard of that measurement before, but once I did, it made perfect sense. I'm an accountant though. I could imagine it being tricky for people that aren't familiar with ratios.

I think it's a lot more willful ignorance than not understanding ratios, but it very well could be both.  Either way this isn't going away anytime soon, so it's a joy to look forward to for the next 6 months for me 😔

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
8 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I picked up 15 pounds of rice at the Asian market this morning.  My sister is getting me two cases of beans from the grocery store she works at.  I already pound of coffee stashed away.  I am ready to never leave the house.

Good luck. Our family stashed away a bunch of stuff before COVID ever happened just in case of any kind of disaster, so we could probably last a solid 3-4 months without leaving our house if it came down to it. We're still currently going to the store though, as thankfully it hasn't gotten so bad here in Missouri that we don't even feel safe getting groceries.

10 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I picked up 15 pounds of rice at the Asian market this morning.  My sister is getting me two cases of beans from the grocery store she works at.  I already pound of coffee stashed away.  I am ready to never leave the house.

Just now?

8 minutes ago, ZeldaFreak said:

Good luck. Our family stashed away a bunch of stuff before COVID ever happened just in case of any kind of disaster, so we could probably last a solid 3-4 months without leaving our house if it came down to it. We're still currently going to the store though, as thankfully it hasn't gotten so bad here in Missouri that we don't even feel safe getting groceries.

I would love to be able to stash that much away.  We have a 1 bedroom for the 2 of us and 3 cats.  Space is limited but we are doing a decent job of keeping a 2 week stock just in case.  Before I took a couple Lowe's boxes and filled it with nonparishables.  May just go back to that for a bit. 

If my storage unit down the hall wasn't full of console and figure boxes I would load up on everything but none of that is going anywhere.

4 minutes ago, arch_8ngel said:

Just now?

Nope.  Needed to restock on stuff.  Our budgets tight with one income so there has been a few times we burned through the stash.

• Like 1

Just now, zeppelin03 said:

I would love to be able to stash that much away.  We have a 1 bedroom for the 2 of us and 3 cats.  Space is limited but we are doing a decent job of keeping a 2 week stock just in case.  Before I took a couple Lowe's boxes and filled it with nonparishables.  May just go back to that for a bit. 

If my storage unit down the hall wasn't full of console and figure boxes I would load up on everything but none of that is going anywhere.

Nope.  Needed to restock on stuff.  Our budgets tight with one income so there has been a few times we burned through the stash.

OK, makes more sense.

From just before the shutdown we went from keeping about 2 - 3 weeks of food on hand (2 kids + 3 adults in the house) to bumping that up to more like 6 - 8 weeks, in case we really can't go out.

Wouldn't carry that big a stock of stuff if not for the kids.

• Like 1

Just now, Reed Rothchild said:

We have an embarrassing amount of food.  My wife went hog wild back in February or January, and it will take us years to get through some of it.

It was illuminating to find out how much "top stock" space we really had for bulk pantry items...

And I am sure it will be YEARS before my wife or I can have a "normal" grocery shopping trip that doesn't involve compulsively stocking up on certain things whether we need it or not.

Edited by arch_8ngel
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

We have an embarrassing amount of food.  My wife went hog wild back in February or January, and it will take us years to get through some of it.

Us too. I had to tell her to stop buying shit because it was starting to just pile up in the garage. 

26 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Yeah, I had to literally beg her to stop.

After I told my wife that it was okay to go to the store she came home with enough food for months....I finally told her I'll just handle the shopping.  At least we never ran out of Lysol wipes or tp though, even got to share them with my weird neighbor who ran out.

• Like 1

Events Team · Posted
2 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

After I told my wife that it was okay to go to the store she came home with enough food for months....I finally told her I'll just handle the shopping.  At least we never ran out of Lysol wipes or tp though, even got to share them with my weird neighbor who ran out.

Funny story, we actually got really lucky with Lysol wipes. At first we thought we were gonna be fine when the pandemic first began, as before it started we had stockpiled pretty much anything you could think of (including TP, thankfully) but the one thing we didn't think to stock up on before this whole thing happened was Lysol wipes. So, as we were going to the store one day, they had one single triple-pack of them left on the shelves (And keep in mind this was at the peak of all the stock issues with TP, paper towels, wipes, etc.) Needless to say we snatched that up at the speed of light, and thankfully that one triple pack has lasted us the entire pandemic thus far.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, zeppelin03 said:

I would love to find some more lysol wipes soon.  We use one on the keys, door knobs, sunglasses, etc when we come back into the unit.  Going through a couple a day and my final container is about half empty.

I’ve had luck at the grocery store towards the close of the day. They’re usually getting ready to stock shelves for the morning. I’ve probably had 4 different occasions to buy some. When we were in CT at my in-laws, I went immediately after senior hours and got wipes two times at the grocery store in our two weeks there.

• Like 2