IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

My 3 year old has asthma and is prone to hospitalizations from catching colds. We are being extremely careful. Some of my family does not understand and it has been a point of contention. My wife and I feel like everyone thinks we’re neurotic. Yes, we’re being overly cautious. If our kids were normal, healthy kids we would not be this way, but my son is traumatized from getting IVs. It’s really bad. I don’t want to put him through that again because I’m being too casual about this. It’s heartbreaking to see him hurt and to feel like shut ins to try and protect him.

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Did you ever get into the IBEW? I forget. Come catch a call in local 332 if you did! Miss you dude now that my collection is more or less done we dont trade anymore. 

Yeah dude hope you’ve been well! I’m working on joining the local gig but they’re giving me the run around because I didn’t take a college algebra course because I tested out and my high school isn’t open to get transcripts 

working for a little company but we’re doing a ton of projects right now 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, TrekMD said:

It depends on how you look at it - using these figures 

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

and multiplying the cases by 10 (which may well be a low multiplier - this figure seems to constantly rise) I wind up* (with some rounding) with a rate of .042 (or 42 per 1000 cases) for recovered cases** and a death rate of .005 ***(or 5 per 1000 cases). 

*Assuming I did the numbers correctly.
**It is not clear what a recovered case is - maybe someone who had to be hospitalized?  Or maybe someone who sought medical help and may or may not have been hospitalize?
***The death rate also seems to be dropping due to better treatments for the condition.

I still see idiots at the flea in MA I set up at not wearing masks. Most of the more intelligent variety actually wear a mask and practice social distancing. I make sure to Lysol wipe everything down and or also use a Lysol aerosol spray on items. I got my mask, gloves plus liquid and gel hand sanitizer. I honestly feel like making a sign that says no mask get the f away from my booth.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TrekMD said:

there was a peer reviewed publication that stated the lock down reduced the confirmed cases from 4.8 million and the author estimated that the total cases from 4.8 million was 60 million. So they're using a scale factor of slightly over 12 in a published paper. 

That is, 10 times the amount of confirmed cases is the low end of the spectrum. Like lower than most conservative estimates. 

Edited by RegularGuyGamer

23 hours ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

My 3 year old has asthma and is prone to hospitalizations from catching colds. We are being extremely careful. Some of my family does not understand and it has been a point of contention. My wife and I feel like everyone thinks we’re neurotic. Yes, we’re being overly cautious. If our kids were normal, healthy kids we would not be this way, but my son is traumatized from getting IVs. It’s really bad. I don’t want to put him through that again because I’m being too casual about this. It’s heartbreaking to see him hurt and to feel like shut ins to try and protect him.

You aren't being neurotic, you're being intelligent.  Don't let others pressure you or make you feel bad for doing what EVERY SMART doctor is doing themselves.  Even if you didn't have those issues with your children I'd still strongly advise staying shut in other than for necessities.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, ICrappedMyPants said:

My sister has some recurring health issues and both her young children had a few ailments along the way.  Now she is pregnant and due late July.  She is handling it very seriously.  I have seen her once or twice in months and have seen my nephews on the other side of a patio door.  Nothing wrong at all with being cautious.  I'm sure we would all rather feel like we wasted a year sitting at home than being complacent and something much worse happen.

I have visited everyone in my family at least once since this all started.  I've been a little under the weather so I keep taking my temperature and all is well so far.  Between that and word of increases in Ohio I am trying to lay low more and more.  It's just not worth it.  I will let others in my family return to bars and restuarants.

Edited by zeppelin03

5 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I'm really hoping they try for mandatory masks before they just shut everything down again.

I would be all for this.  The only place I see decent usage is my local Heinens. Outside of that it is real spotty.  Preventative measures instead of shutdown would be a nice compromise.

49 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Lol dude Florida is so fucked. That's kind an episode of Parks and Rec. Ffs

Yeah, I ran out of there a week and a half ago when I noticed things were on the rise.

I was supposed to stay for months and even look for a house to buy but instead I just took a 3 week vacation there. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Business was booming there for me, but Im not catching the corona just because money is good.

13 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

I'm really hoping they try for mandatory masks before they just shut everything down again.

I doubt they will make them mandatory when they didn't do it early on. Actually, the governor was going to, but people did want to wear them so it went back to being a suggestion. 

17 hours ago, MrWunderful said:

Can't read the article because I don't subscribe.

With that said, all misinformation started from the WHO, baby!!! Let's put the blame where it belongs.

1 hour ago, ThePhleo said:

Yeah, I ran out of there a week and a half ago when I noticed things were on the rise.

I was supposed to stay for months and even look for a house to buy but instead I just took a 3 week vacation there. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Business was booming there for me, but Im not catching the corona just because money is good.

Any of the cases recently in Taiwan have been because of dumbo business tycoons going abroad to do business. Money, Joseph , follow the money hahahaha