IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

34 minutes ago, Link said:

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc2004973

SARS-CoV-2 was more stable on plastic and stainless steel than on copper and cardboard, and viable virus was detected up to 72 hours after application to these surfaces (Figure 1A), although the virus titer was greatly reduced (from 103.7 to 100.6 TCID50 per milliliter of medium after 72 hours on plastic and from 103.7 to 100.6 TCID50 per milliliter after 48 hours on stainless steel). The stability kinetics of SARS-CoV-1 were similar (from 103.4 to 100.7TCID50 per milliliter after 72 hours on plastic and from 103.6 to 100.6 TCID50 per milliliter after 48 hours on stainless steel). On copper, no viable SARS-CoV-2 was measured after 4 hours and no viable SARS-CoV-1 was measured after 8 hours. On cardboard, no viable SARS-CoV-2 was measured after 24 hours and no viable SARS-CoV-1 was measured after 8 hours (Figure 1A).

(sorry if that’s hard to read. I didn’t want to get political by posting a liberal mainstream media like USA Today .  )

That's interesting. I thought the opposite. Thank you.

7 hours ago, Link said:

Early on I heard the virus can live on:
Plastic and steel for up to 3 days
Cardboard for 24 hours
Copper for 4 hours

That’s mostly longer than makes me comfortable in crowded places, but handwashing (20+ seconds of lathering, which breaks the “skin” of the virus) and avoiding touching face sounds good. And yes if your hands have just been washed correctly, then it’s ok.
I have not heard any updates to that; doctors, please advise. In general (copper being an outlier for no reason I’ve seen) it dries out and dies faster on more pourous surfaces; especially clothing. 
Gloves don’t prevent cross-contamination and are not helpful unless you change them very often. Touch a steel door that someone breathed on, then touch your face — virus might ride on your hand whether gloved or not. 

Hey sorry Link I missed this in discussing with the others.  So it looks like the early predictions of how long it survives on surfaces may have been overestimated, but honestly I still haven't seen anything conclusive nor heard it from our health department,  or hospital management. 

You are spot on regarding gloves and why they aren't necessary.  Sanitizing public surfaces is still being done and probably will be for the future, but hand hygiene and not touching your face should be the golden standard.  We know that it can survive long enough on a surface for hand to mouth transmission to occur.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Need to vent about this:

For those of you who don’t live in Nashville, we have a wealthy bar/honky tonk owner named Steve Smith who is a cancer to this city’s overall progression. He opposes any decision that would help the city because he fears it will hurt his many bars.

His bars have refused to cooperate with the slow reopening process and have even started refusing entry to anyone wearing a mask. He is now appealing all of the citations his bars have received, citing the protests and saying it’s a double standard to allow those but give citations to bars.

So Mr. Steve Smith, on the off chance that you’re reading this, allow me to spell it out for you. I’d write it in crayon if I could, but I also know you probably tend to associate crayons with food so you may stop paying attention anyway:

1. There is a difference between being outside with masks and being inside, shoulder to shoulder with no masks.

2. Protesting is a right given to us by our country’s constitution. Getting plastered in a shitty bar and listening to a local 3rd rate shitband is not.

I do agree that the protests need to be regulated in a safer way. Require masks, etc. But it goes both ways, and if you want the same “equal treatment” as the protestors, we can have riot police come in and shoot tear gas and rubber bullets into your bars.

Oh, and for those of you wondering, Steve Smith was for the “end the lockdown” protests in Nashville. In fact, he sent a mass text to his employees in his biggest bar threatening to fire them if they did not attend the “end the lockdown” protests.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spacepup said:

@Doctornick I appreciate all of your input and advice that you've shared here, in an effort to provide people with a unique and important perspective on all of this.  Thank you!

Thia is most likely a "once in our lifetime" event, so helping people understand is important to me.  Thank you for saying that, it means more than you realize!

• Like 4

Administrator · Posted
6 hours ago, Doctornick said:

Thia is most likely a "once in our lifetime" event, so helping people understand is important to me.  Thank you for saying that, it means more than you realize!

You think so?   I don't unfortunately.    I'm betting in five years we see something else.

6 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

You think so?   I don't unfortunately.    I'm betting in five years we see something else.

Lazy phrasing on my part, something that spreads this quickly globally is what I meant.  We will definitely see more pandemics, but I really hope nothing that spreads at this rate.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

Lazy phrasing on my part, something that spreads this quickly globally is what I meant.  We will definitely see more pandemics, but I really hope nothing that spreads at this rate.

Ebola, Zika, Encephalitis, Swine Flu, Bird Flu, Mad Cow, West Nile Virus, “superbug”, H1N1, MERS, Legionnaires outbreaks, COVID 19

These were all in a single lifetime of most of us here.

HIV, AIDS....

...EDIT: quoted wrong post. My mistake

Edited by ThePhleo

35 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

Ebola, Zika, Encephalitis, Swine Flu, Bird Flu, Mad Cow, West Nile Virus, “superbug”, H1N1, MERS, Legionnaires outbreaks, COVID 19

These were all in a single lifetime of most of us here.

HIV, AIDS....

...EDIT: quoted wrong post. My mistake

The captain already got me on that, I think you owe me a little Samson at 2010 prices so I can finish my NES set 😁

Administrator · Posted
1 hour ago, Doctornick said:

If anything, this proved we're all royally fucked if something ever hits water supplies.

4 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

I'll just get way out in front of this one for the future VGS generations and state not to mix bleach with your drinking water.

My great grandmother used to put a half capful of Clorox in every 5 gallon jug she bought, and she used to soak all fruits and vegetables in the sink with a whole capful!

8 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

My great grandmother used to put a half capful of Clorox in every 5 gallon jug she bought, and she used to soak all fruits and vegetables in the sink with a whole capful!

Well that explains your Sachen obsession!  I'm afraid to ask my grandparents about stuff like that, but they're all over 80 so maybe they're on to something.

23 minutes ago, Doctornick said:

Well that explains your Sachen obsession!  I'm afraid to ask my grandparents about stuff like that, but they're all over 80 so maybe they're on to something.

Me brain many fine. Not big hurt...big brain me have. Sachen games good for play on NES. Clorox water best soup.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, ThePhleo said:

https://www.epa.gov/ground-water-and-drinking-water/emergency-disinfection-drinking-water

Guess it depends on the size of the cap... but that sounds pretty close to correct for a 5 gallon jug based on the EPA guidelines for water purification.

My mom and dad used to do mission trips to Honduras, and using bleach correctly always got lost in translation to where the locals thought you should be able to SMELL IT for it have had any effect...needless to say they were clearly using too much.

• Like 1

On 6/14/2020 at 11:23 AM, Link said:

On 6/13/2020 at 2:58 PM, Estil said:

There's 50 states in the Union...have we yet figured out by now which ones are doing the corona thing right?  I mean there's no shortage of people/places clearly doing it wrong...I always would rather know/see who is doing this kind of thing right.

https://topos-states-charts.web.app/

dunno if you ever looked... but here’s another one... enjoy

https://www.covidexitstrategy.org/

2 hours ago, JamesRobot said:

WqV9hIE.jpg

That's one of those only Google if you dare things.  Another one is what child's skulls look like when their permanent teeth are about to push out and replace the baby teeth...not something you want to Google right before bed >_<