IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

Events Helper · Posted
24 minutes ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Just got word my little brother has tested positive.  He's in the army stationed in Alaska so I'm sure he'd get the care he needs if things took a turn.  He's young and in great shape so I'm liking the odds.

I'm sure he will be fine good sir, but thinking bout ya anyway 🙂.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Richardhead said:

I will take more and better pictures tomorrow, but do you all think we are being to strict right now ow is this the right  thing to do? Whenever we get a chance or every half hour, we are spraying everything people have contact, with a bleach/water solution. So many other things we are doing right now too. Curbside pickup if that’s what you want, we will stop what we are doing to get you something so you don’t have to walk around the store.  People aren’t taking to this very well. I’ve had a few verbal arguments with people, even booted a guy today for not following our rules.  @SuperJimtendo walked on right as it was going down, and it was his day off.😂. So yeah, I’d like some thoughts on the precautions we are taking please. Too much? Not enough? 

843E5E85-1025-4898-B2FE-E3E2392FD185.jpeg

LOL. Knob Creek.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, Link said:

So long as activity is reduced and people aren’t spending any more time than necessary in public places, it will help. Obviously a full lockdown would be more effective, but probably nobody wants that. 

We need to get the testing situation in much better shape. That would help a lot. 

Sure if the testing were better perhaps this would have some effect. The way it is now lots of people are walking around with it and don't know it because it takes two weeks to show symptoms. Of course don't go out if you are sick, but the weeks before that those people were still going out. 

This is the worst of both worlds. The goal of stopping the spread won't be accomplished and the economy will be wrecked.

Administrator · Posted

The goal isn't to stop the spread completely.  The goal is to slow it down as much as possible, so that the medical system and infrastructure doesn't get completely overwhelmed to the point that not only covid patients die, but also those with other issues, as well as the medical community.  And even if some of the measures aren't perfect, I do believe that they are helping to slow the spread.  And when you look at some of the relative statistics between states and other areas, you can see some differences.

Also, it seems that medical and scientific experts have analyzed both the current situation, as well as historical pandemics and different measures that were taken, in order to come up with some of these solutions, even if they aren't perfect.  

When well respected, top-of-their-field infectious disease experts are giving me suggestions and information, I tend to take that pretty seriously and with some credibility.  

No one truly knows where the best "line" is of what is appropriate and what is not in these times.  And obviously our economy is going to suffer because of this - I don't think anyone doubts that, and yes I believe the impact will be serious.  But I also think that without any of the restrictions in place, we would see exponentially more deaths, our medical system would be overwhelmed, and things would be worse not only for our citizens, but for the economy.  Can I prove this beyond a shadow of a doubt?  No.

But my opinion on this shaped by what all of the experts are saying, and by "experts," I'm not just talking about politicians and governors, and I'm not just talking about one state or one country.  We are talking about experts in the field from all over the world.  

When we have politicians from both sides of the aisle, medical experts, doctors, scientists, disease prevention organizations across the globe, and more, ALL SAYING that we should be doing some of these measures and that they will help, I tend to take my advice from them.  

Also remember, that these aren't going to be permanent.  The "sacrifices" we are being asked to make, are not permanent.  As we learn more about the virus, build up infrastructure, build up immunity, and hopefully develop vaccines and treatments, we will be better equipped to deal with this.  What we are doing, is buying time.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, spacepup said:

And even if some of the measures aren't perfect, I do believe that they are helping to slow the spread.  And when you look at some of the relative statistics between states and other areas, you can see some differences.

Yeah, IIRC Cuomo's COVID update yesterday produced a statistic that the stay at home order in NYC is starting to have an effect. The expected growth of hospitalizations went from doubling every 2 days on Sunday to every 4.7 days by Tuesday.

• Like 1

Yes this will accomplish something, it pushes the peak of infections from 6 weeks out to maybe 10 weeks. Will that make a giant difference on the grand scheme of things? Maybe, though I don't see the hospital situation being drastically different in 4 extra weeks.

The point is that guy who got exposed a week ago and doesn't know he has it is still preparing your Chinese takeout, still stocking the grocery store shelves, still doing bank tellery things, and all the other jobs that are called "essential". 

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, B.A. said:

Yes this will accomplish something, it pushes the peak of infections from 6 weeks out to maybe 10 weeks. Will that make a giant difference on the grand scheme of things? Maybe, though I don't see the hospital situation being drastically different in 4 extra weeks.

The point is that guy who got exposed a week ago and doesn't know he has it is still preparing your Chinese takeout, still stocking the grocery store shelves, still doing bank tellery things, and all the other jobs that are called "essential". 

Yeah, but that guy is exposed to a lot less people outside of those areas, and if proper precautions are being taken he's hopefully not spreading it.   I say hopefully because who knows how all it can be transmitted besides what's already determined.

For the hospital situation, that gives them 4 extra weeks to get more supplies, better procedures, etc.

• Like 3

Administrator · Posted
1 minute ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Yeah, but that guy is exposed to a lot less people outside of those areas, and if proper precautions are being taken he's hopefully not spreading it.   I say hopefully because who knows how all it can be transmitted besides what's already determined.

For the hospital situation, that gives them 4 extra weeks to get more supplies, better procedures, etc.

I agree.  Also, while the virus can still live on surfaces and items, the greatest risk is still from person-to-person contact and breathing in droplets from other individuals

So if I get groceries delivered (which I am doing by the way, or pickup with my car), there is still a chance that maybe I could get it from the packaging that people have touched, but from what the experts are saying, there is significantly less risk than me going out for physical interaction.

If you talk to a hospital in say, Italy, Spain,  or New York City right now, I can almost guarantee you they would be BEGGING for a few more weeks of time to prepare, get supplies, and slow down or even-out the patients they are treating. 

As the experts have demonstrated numerous times, even if the same exact number of people get it as who would otherwise get it if we didn't take any action - the task of spreading it out to keep from burdening the system is absolutely an effective strategy and will save many lives.  This is coming from people who, frankly, know their shit.  So take it from them, not me.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I agree.  Also, while the virus can still live on surfaces and items, the greatest risk is still from person-to-person contact and breathing in droplets from other individuals

So if I get groceries delivered (which I am doing by the way, or pickup with my car), there is still a chance that maybe I could get it from the packaging that people have touched, but from what the experts are saying, there is significantly less risk than me going out for physical interaction

Some might consider this extreme, but if you are also worried about your groceries you can do what we do.

When we go food shopping, we immediately wash any glass jars/cans or any containers that are washable with soap and water. Anything in bags, boxes, or packages that can't be washed get carefully taken out and put into large ziploc bags or tupperware like cereal, chips, cookies, snacks, macaroni, etc. Unless the box had an inner bag already and then we just toss the box. Meats all get taken out of the packages and placed in tupperware in the freezer. We only buy prepackaged vegetables and then ziploc those and make sure to cook as many things as we can to cook off any germs that could still be there. 

But essentially this just further reduces the risk even if to an OCD level degree. Where i have immune issues, i am not taking any chances lol 

I literally watched a Market Basket employee sneeze directly into his hand and then keep stocking groceries last week. A lot of people are either not taking this seriously or have terrible hygiene/habits and no self awareness on the situation. And since the virus can live on metal, plastic, cardboard, etc for 24 hours or more, i can imagine would still be a way you could get infected. 

Edited by Magus

30 minutes ago, Magus said:

Some might consider this extreme, but if you are also worried about your groceries you can do what we do.

When we go food shopping, we immediately wash any glass jars/cans or any containers that are washable with soap and water. Anything in bags, boxes, or packages that can't be washed get carefully taken out and put into large ziploc bags or tupperware like cereal, chips, cookies, snacks, macaroni, etc. Unless the box had an inner bag already and then we just toss the box. Meats all get taken out of the packages and placed in tupperware in the freezer. We only buy prepackaged vegetables and then ziploc those and make sure to cook as many things as we can to cook off any germs that could still be there. 

But essentially this just further reduces the risk even if to an OCD level degree. Where i have immune issues, i am not taking any chances lol 

I literally watched a Market Basket employee sneeze directly into his hand and then keep stocking groceries last week. A lot of people are either not taking this seriously or have terrible hygiene/habits and no self awareness on the situation. And since the virus can live on metal, plastic, cardboard, etc for 24 hours or more, i can imagine would still be a way you could get infected. 

I essentially do the same. I also wash down anything that comes in packages and let my mail sit in the garage for days.

43 minutes ago, Magus said:

I appreciate these measures and will take some of this into consideration when my groceries are delivered on Sunday (we are about a week out or more on local deliveries in Iowa).  They let you order anything and then will fulfill/substitute what they are able.  I'll take what I can at this point.

I've also been super considerate about essentially everything foreign from my home.  I need to do a better job of storing my mail for a few days in a remote area however.  Currently I have a small pile of disposable gloves in my vehicle, use them for my super minimal interactions of bank drive thrus/atms/gas pumps.  When I reach home, I immediately wash hands then take a clorox wipe to my keys and stuff that I bring in when possible.  Been wiping my car door handles, steering wheel, shifter every few days too.

When my groceries are delivered I think I'm going to follow several measures you noted above, will wipe down what i can with soap/water or a clorox wipe and I like the idea of transferring the meat and things to tupperware.

When I have my toddler, it makes all of this exponentially more difficult but just do the best I can.  If some folks may think these types of measures are a bit out there, at least it helps me feel like I'm doing what I can (I also am not in crazy good health).

11 hours ago, Richardhead said:

That is correct. I have been dodging getting sick, and being overly cautious way before it was the thing to do. Masks and gloves are not the way to go. If anything, they will make things worse. 

Curious how masks can make things worse?  Honest question, I have heard that they may not help much, but I imagine they have to be somewhat helpful in minimizing droplets breathed in.

I have some basic-ish ones from old home projects, if/when I need to go shopping, I was thinking I'd wear a mask and gloves, then try to make my trip as efficient as possible.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Boosted52405 said:

Curious how masks can make things worse?  Honest question, I have heard that they may not help much, but I imagine they have to be somewhat helpful in minimizing droplets breathed in.

I have some basic-ish ones from old home projects, if/when I need to go shopping, I was thinking I'd wear a mask and gloves, then try to make my trip as efficient as possible.

Good question, the problem really is the misuse of masks and gloves. You don’t need a mask unless you are sick or caring for someone that is. Here is a good read.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/health/misuse-of-gloves-raises-coronavirus-infection-risk/1772201

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Richardhead said:

Good question, the problem really is the misuse of masks and gloves. You don’t need a mask unless you are sick or caring for someone that is. Here is a good read.

https://www.aa.com.tr/en/health/misuse-of-gloves-raises-coronavirus-infection-risk/1772201

That is a great article.  Glad to read that masks/gloves serve their purpose, rather the misuse will backfire.  Lots of good pointers in there for keeping home clean too.

• Like 2

Moderator · Posted
1 hour ago, m308gunner said:

Why is there such a thing as the "Corona Virus Challenge"? Is this why we can't have nice things?

https://nypost.com/2020/03/25/influencer-reportedly-hospitalized-with-coronavirus-after-licking-toilet/

There are likely the same people who were eating Tide-Pods. I did stupid things when I was young too, but we weren't trying to push the envelope and social media wasn't a thing. 

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Magus said:

Yeah, I've been doing similar things. I guess there is a video going around Facebook that has been spreading mis-information about food safety wrt Coronavirus. I came across this Twitter thread by a food microbiologist debunking the assertions made in the video with his own recommendations. If you don't want to read the whole thread, his main recommendations are:

• Minimize the time you spend in supermarkets
  • Practice social distancing while there
  • Wash/Sanitize your hands after handling groceries/before you eat

So not too much more over the standard food cleanliness/preparation people should normally practice. It puts my mind a little at ease.

Edited by Teh_Lurv
  • Like 1

On 3/17/2020 at 12:33 PM, Estil said:

One penny, one dollar at a time.

But in all seriousness, this is a serious situation the likes of which have not been seen in 100 years.  We really do have to do everything we can (economically and otherwise) to get this coronavirus thing over and done sooner rather than later.

My point was just that when we talk about healthcare or college debt forgiveness, things that we know will build the economy conservatives ask how are we going to pay for it. 

When businesses want corporate welfare no one says nothing. Most of this is going to businesses not workers. Because this is barely gonna help workers this is gonna be drawn out since people aren't going to have disposable income to increase demand.

• Like 1

Events Helper · Posted
17 hours ago, Gloves said:

I know I'm getting on in years, practically a foot in the grave here at 32 years old, but... kids these days.

image.png

Shit, 32 u babby 😉 Kids are fucked up these days, but at least she went full fledged vs. the other guy who looked like he thought it was a bad idea 🤣, but would do it anyway for the sake of getting some fame.........I'm sorry to anyone younger than me, 37 this year, but what the hell are u all thinking.........let me get famous by licking something disgusting............what a bunch of idiots!!!!!  Old man coming out, but why would you even want to get this virus, even if u have a greater chance of recovering..........