IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

1 hour ago, jonebone said:

What the hell are you talking about? Re read the thread and look who started it. I've taken it seriously from day 1, though I'm not doomsday prepper mentality.

My comment is to someone saying "this week is going to get bad" is they havent seen nothing yet. Every passing week is going to get MUCH worse until it gets better. I left the house once in 9 days to hit a grocery store at 6AM and that's been it. 

Ok, cool. 

The way you said that, I read it as not a big deal. I think your question about the numbers from the medical conference put me in that mind. I’m inclined to listen to those people.

Edited by Link

Two days ago the Governor said my job was “critical” today the Mayor comes out and says stay at home, my job he said was non-essential. He also said that if people wanted what I sold, they better get it now, because for 17 day we were gonna be closed. Now today was my day off and I just got back home from a pain in the ass snow hike, which was actually a lot of fun for me as work has been shit for a couple of weeks. Well, I got to work and it was already chaos. Every single employee got off their ass and came to work. All 7 of us. I’ve never seen such panic and chaos In my life. 
Mayor came out later and amended his rules about who could be open. We are now allowed to be open with “extreme social distancing” rules. We have become “critical/essential” again. The fucking mayor of Denver should be ashamed of himself. He put a lot of people in danger of  getting sick, and a lot of businesses being looted and robbed overnight. Such a crock of shit. I can’t believe what’s happening. 
As for the sales at the store, we did 3 weekends worth of sales in less than 5 hours. I wish it was under better circumstances, but at least there is that.
I can’t believe what’s happening right now. It’s very unreal to me. Hope everyone here can stay healthy and positive. If you can manage that; please also think about helping others around you. Your neighbors, your friends. Please also thank the people out there getting the things you need into your hands. It’s pretty fucking stressful out there for most people. 

Edited by Richardhead
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Gloves said:

For now they are simply heavily urging us to stay indoors. 

Michigan's Governor this past morning issued a "stay at home" order so anything not considered essential is staying open. https://www.wzzm13.com/article/news/local/michigan/ap-michigan-governor-to-issue-stay-at-home-order/69-7a1f8d82-7b29-4da2-921f-87ea5c366de8

My place of work of course is considered essential and will be open this entire time... they were handing out official company letters stating our "essential employee status" for everyone to keep in their vehicles in case you get pulled over while driving to work or something lol

Edited by SpoonMan Abrams X
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, broncofantd793 said:

A CVS in Indiana caught on fire.

While the building was visibly on fire, people were still trying to enter the building and line up in the drive-thru.

Seriously?  Are these people for real?  Please tell me that second sentence is some sort of early April Fools thing...

Here we go, brothers:

please read... and please take mentions of what I say here:

I live in NY. Long Island. There are well near 4k cases here reported,  with 25k cases in NY whole reported. The number of people walking around is now astronomical compared to “reported cases” (which are the numbers you all are seeing.) ... (I’ve had my data scientist on my team run numbers against SKorea, Italian, and Spanish charts... all equations have checked out).

1)I lost 13k$ TODAY ALONE. (6k in vacation costs (for my own birthday that my wife spent), and not a single company has offered refund: VRBO, Southwest Air, and Fronteir Air)). (6k+ in my IRA alone, even with today’s uptick, given the downfall I have realized in prior days). (This is NOT INCLUDING prior loss for all prior days since lockdown in NY)... my retirement losses are devastating.

2). There is NOTHING available on shelves... toilet paper, baby food (I have a 13 month old), diapers, etc.

3). Schools are permanently closed.

4). Police patrolling streets in our area to ensure you are a “local” after 8pm.

5). Gov Cuomo is a D... I am registered R.... THIS IS NOT a partisan issue. And I support what Cuomo has done for us 1000%, and I respect his work for the people of NY. Partisan ideals need to be put aside here, and I have set all of mine aside. Democratic, republican, it doesn’t matter... we just need to preserve lives, and he is trying to. And I’m thankful. But it isn’t enough *tearfully*, despite ALL of his efforts. This is a matter of CAPACITY not QUALITY. We in NY DO NOT have the beds or ventilators to support those who WILL DIE. This is disgustingly scary.

6). My wife is a healthcare worker. She has been exposed as of 7 days ago. Which means I was exposed 6 days ago since she works 12 hr shifts. We have no symptoms yet... but the fear is devastating... I have a 13month old daughter with next to zero immunity build up alongside two step children.

7). I have not only donated my N95s to elderly, but I have also started converting my work stations within my company to begin converting out PCB cleaning stations to Hand Sanitizer production units, with ZERO income on products... meaning we will donate EVERYTHING we make.

8). Hospitals here have now began setting up outdoor triage, to separate COVID patients from GP (General Public).

9). MT Sainai hospital here in NY is now using GARBAGE BAGS as PPE, because they don’t have supplies. (Google It)

10). Ethics Healthcare Committees are now convening in NY. (This is the most disheartening of all). Ethics committees are meeting to discuss 1 thing: who lives and who dies under condition.

please note: this is the type of decision that a medic makes in war time situations. This is NOT a decision our loca doctors should be having to make. Italy docs have already said that they’ve been doing this for a while now Over the past week. They are deciding who lives and who dies in triage. (Google it).

11). The most disheartening of all***
i have family (MANY) in healthcare in NY... hospitals are convening now to decide whether or no to currently designate all ICU patients at all NY hospitals as DNR’s. (For those who don’t know, a DNR is a “Do Not Resuscitate” order). The reasoning is simple: if a code is called for a failing patient, docs and nurses have no way to get PPE on fast enough to save them. If they attend... they themselves become the next spread vector. This is disgustingly grim.

we here in NY know that if our loved ones enter ICU, it may VERY well be the last time we see them. If you are 30-50 yrs old... you may enter ICU, and if YOU deteriorate..... you will have no visitors before you pass.

think about this...

this is heart breaking...

iy wife is a nurse on a floor with COVID... we have both been exposed based on her hospitals reports... I have a 13 month old and 2 step children... I love them all dearly, more than I could ever put in words.... 

living next to NYC right now... this is getting hairy..

Edited by Lambda
Info increase/clarity/length reduction
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5
  • Sad 1

Just some my experience I felt like sharing. Even with the shelter at home for 3 weeks, the grocery stores are always packed seemingly, and of course always 70% empty despite them stocking up items. At least Whole Foods though, they are doing an excellent job with having someone cleaning all the carts and baskets at the doors, even putting tape all over the place to show people where to stand considering the 6ft rule. Also, they supply gloves for customer use when handling items. They are just overwhelmed and pretty much everything is out of stock most of the time.

I'm glad Nebraska Furniture is closing. When IKEA closed last week, they should have too. On Saturday, it was fully packed there, with thousands there (someone I know works there told me it). Just NUTS!

Still, see a lot of people on the road. There are a lot of essential businesses open, but I am sure there are people just driving around bored and wanting to enjoy the warm weather. It is okay even they are saying we can go to the park for a walk or out on the lake with a boat. Just have to always keep 6ft distance/social distancing.

My job/business is essential (child care center), but attendance is 85% down in normal enrollment as I've seen with all other daycares. We might just close it pretty soon as my mom is scared too as age and health does not really matter with this virus, so it would just be best for everyone's safety. I know I had some parent just quit her essential job so she could stay home with her kid as she was scared. We have continued doing all the guidelines with temperature checking before entering and have not accept anyone new or anyone else that wasn't enrolled with us. Don't really see how that helps as a lot of people have the virus without symptoms. We always checked their temperature before with the common flu anyways. At least we do have a controlled environment and have the same people/children daily, which is maybe the reason why child care centers will always be open throughout this to be there for essential workers that have no choice.

Curious what they will do for small businesses as I am sure so many will fail if this keeps up throughout April. Saw something about small business loans being available for all, no questions ask.

Overall, everyone is suffering from this. Grocery stores are the kings this time, but at the same time really risking themselves too. I already heard an employee test positive at a local Central Market. It's still the beginning. Stay safe everyone. My heart goes out to all of y'all in the front lines that can't catch a break (healthcare workers, truckers, delivery drivers, EMT, officers, so many of y'all) and also those that are struggling not working and not getting paid or near losing their business. Hoping April we can transition slowly back as it just can't go any further than April. It can't.

• Like 1

Editorials Team · Posted

Thanks @Lambda

Hearing stories from the frontlines can help people gain perspective.  Our older nanny wasn't taking it seriously until her daughter (a nurse in San Diego) explained how dire their hospital situation was.

I feel very lucky to be in a less populated state like Montana.  A lot easier to maintain distances, and we got extra time before people could start spreading the disease unchecked.  Hoping our situation never crumbles like it will/is in the worst metro areas.

• Like 1

MD just closed schools for another month and the governor stated anyone that is returning from NY must self quarantine for two weeks. Went to the grocery store earlier this week, no issues getting anything there is still no TP or paper towels. I’m stocked up from my last Costco run before all this shit hit the fan luckily 

Administrator · Posted

Here in Toronto people are being pretty fuckin good about social distancing and staying home. Just did my once a week tops grocery trip and I was honestly thoroughly impressed with the way people were behaving; nodding to each other to let pass by, waiting for their turn just to enter an aisle at the store, keeping a literal 6+ foot distance while standing in line.

There are security guards in all the grocery stores and even one at the front of the drug store (Shoppers Drug Mart) with a manual counter, keeping track of people in/out, and only allowing so many in at once. Really commendable effort from what I've seen, and a testament to why I love living here.

• Like 2

Yesterday the neighborhood people were sitting in their front yards in lawn chairs having shout-conversations with each other. I went to get some groceries and they had wash stations set up. People are going to get sick anyway because they just will, but it seems like everyone around here is taking things appropriately seriously to slow the spread.

Construction is still considered essential so I could be working, but am currently at home living off of sweet sweet credit. I will perhaps work intermittently over the coming weeks until we're ordered shut down too.

6 minutes ago, osg said:

Yesterday the neighborhood people were sitting in their front yards in lawn chairs having shout-conversations with each other. I went to get some groceries and they had wash stations set up. People are going to get sick anyway because they just will, but it seems like everyone around here is taking things appropriately seriously to slow the spread.

Construction is still considered essential so I could be working, but am currently at home living off of sweet sweet credit. I will perhaps work intermittently over the coming weeks until we're ordered shut down too.

Around here its hit or miss. All the restaurants are takeout only. The place you see mass gatherings though is the grocery store. Still terrible. I dont really need anything, but Id like to get a couple things. I might have to make an asserted effort to get there at the opening door to avoid 100 people at a checkout, oh and and there are alot of people traffic at gas stations.

At our school they have been sanitizing the place, but I still report once a week for printing off work, and submitting grades/plans. They are doing it by department. Our math department was monday. Got it over with during the week. Now just answering student/parent emails and questions during the week. Im really starting to wonder if they are going to open up the schools again. If they wait too long there will be no point. Kids wont show, and wont be focused. I feel the worst for the good geometry students I had that wanted to learn. They are missing so much. Most of the kids at my low socioeconomic district dont have nice calculators at home like I had when I was in school, so teaching new concepts is really tough. I cant do like Area of regular polygons for example because Id need trig functions and that would require a calculator. There are calculators online, but Id say 40 percent of my 133 student population dont have home internet. I have to send home hard copies. Right now I am having to do just review on everything we have covered. If we go back, Im going to have to try to cram alot into a 2-3 weeks

Edited by Quest4Nes

3 hours ago, Reed Rothchild said:

Thanks @Lambda

Hearing stories from the frontlines can help people gain perspective.  Our older nanny wasn't taking it seriously until her daughter (a nurse in San Diego) explained how dire their hospital situation was.

I feel very lucky to be in a less populated state like Montana.  A lot easier to maintain distances, and we got extra time before people could start spreading the disease unchecked.  Hoping our situation never crumbles like it will/is in the worst metro areas.

OTOH, it may be much harder for provisions to get to your local stores because of those greater distances; not to mention the added cost.  So there's that.

Administrator · Posted
9 minutes ago, Estil said:

OTOH, it may be much harder for provisions to get to your local stores because of those greater distances; not to mention the added cost.  So there's that.

Yeah, but have you seen fuel prices the last couple weeks?   Plus being honest, they can likely go shoot some food.

Editorials Team · Posted
1 hour ago, Estil said:

Well my wife always keeps a ridiculous amount of shit so we probably have more provisions than anyone else on this site.  We're talking a silly amount.

2 hours ago, Quest4Nes said:

Around here its hit or miss. All the restaurants are takeout only. The place you see mass gatherings though is the grocery store. Still terrible. I dont really need anything, but Id like to get a couple things. I might have to make an asserted effort to get there at the opening door to avoid 100 people at a checkout, oh and and there are alot of people traffic at gas stations.

Not ideal. Your best bet would be in the latter hours, sometime after peak "post work rush" but before closing, if possible. Also try to go during the middle of the week if possible.

For context, my place of employment normally is open 24 hours. This past weekend they started doing restricted hours only being open 8am to 10pm. This has caused large groups of people to gather at the entrances up to an hour before opening and fill in to something akin to Black Friday openings.

Slightly off topic, but speaking of Black Friday, my store did approx. ~$340k in sales on actual Black Friday. This past Friday the 13th we did ~$450k in sales. Ludicrous.

1 hour ago, Skorp said:

Btw, gun stores and liquor stores essential, is that everywhere else too, or just a Texan thing? xD

In VA liquor stores are deemed essential... but they are also state-run 😛

(in all truth, though, forcing hardcore alcoholics to stop cold turkey, state wide, due to store closures would be catastrophic for public health and safety)

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, SpoonMan Abrams X said:

Not ideal. Your best bet would be in the latter hours, sometime after peak "post work rush" but before closing, if possible. Also try to go during the middle of the week if possible.

For context, my place of employment normally is open 24 hours. This past weekend they started doing restricted hours only being open 8am to 10pm. This has caused large groups of people to gather at the entrances up to an hour before opening and fill in to something akin to Black Friday openings.

Slightly off topic, but speaking of Black Friday, my store did approx. ~$340k in sales on actual Black Friday. This past Friday the 13th we did ~$450k in sales. Ludicrous.

Around here they have said coming early has been better. During the day Ive driven around. Every store is packed the entire day. Its insane. There is no dead time since they close the stores

My town just issued a curfew from 10pm-6am. SO MORE PEOPLE OUT AND ABOUT now between those times. Just great. Biggest do nothing policy Ive ever heard. Its just going to upset people and cause more problems. This town didnt have a night life in the first place. They had to pretend they were doing something since they actually can do nothing and want to inject themselves into the situation. They said its to "stop the spread" wtf?!? by limiting people to certain windows that helps contain a spread? It forces more people out during peak times and will just make it worse.

Edited by Quest4Nes
  • Like 1