IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

Got my first Moderna shot Monday afternoon, a couple of hours after the wife got her second dose.  Surprisingly, I lucked into being able to just sign up immediately and get the shot the same day.  The lady giving the shots (or at least the one who gave me mine, there might have been more than one on hand) was fantastic, as I almost didn't feel the needle, something incredibly rare in the long history of people sticking needles in one or the other of my arms.

Didn't get any soreness at all in my arm until the following morning, then started with fatigue later that day, but nothing out of the ordinary for me (my immune system tends to knock me out and let/make me hibernate away something whenever I'm legitimately sick/fighting something off).  The wife didn't really have any reaction to her first shot beyond a little soreness, but the second initially had her unable to move her arm fully due to the soreness, than a mild 1-2 degree fever and generally not feeling good.

We called our son out of remote school on Tuesday and both slept in as long as we could, with me finally getting up with the kids when they woke up later on and the wife staying in bed most of the day, waking up for lunch then dozing off and on until dinner.  As the days progressed, the symptoms got better for us both, with everything pretty much gone by Thursday and completely noticeably gone by Friday.  1 & 5 weeks from Monday, both of us will be fully immunized.  Neither of us is planning on going crazy at that point, but it'll be nice to be able to not have to worry as much and be able to more openly get together with other folks that we know have been immunized as well (friends, relatives, etc.).

• Like 8

On 4/10/2021 at 10:00 PM, SailorScoutMandy said:

Thankfully I know I have a history of passing out with any shot I ever get. So it was too worrying for me when I passed out, tho I felt bad for scaring Andy. 

Even tho really hate needles felt I needed to responsible and get my shot. 

Every time I read about people passing out, my first thought is they're afraid of needles. And so am I but nothing to where I'll pass out if I don't look.

32 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Every time I read about people passing out, my first thought is they're afraid of needles. And so am I but nothing to where I'll pass out if I don't look.

I've always had issues with medical needles. Recall as a child at regular check ups they'd check your blood sugar and I'd have to given tang afterwards cause just that small prick made me wanna pass out. 

My favorite thing tho is the nurses who tell me to suck it up because I have tattoos/piercings. They aren't the same to me at all. I know that sounds odd, but eh. 

I only had nausea which lasted a few days post shot. Round two is 5/8 so here's to seeing how that goes. 

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted

Congratulations to all of you recently able to get shots woo! And glad to hear that you are doing ok other than some minor issues.  

It's exciting for me to see more and more people I know get vaccinated - not only for their own safety and health, but also to be playing a role and getting all of us through this.  So Thank you! to everyone doing your part. 

I hope everyone is hanging in there!

• Like 4

Administrator · Posted
27 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

I've always had issues with medical needles. Recall as a child at regular check ups they'd check your blood sugar and I'd have to given tang afterwards cause just that small prick made me wanna pass out. 

My favorite thing tho is the nurses who tell me to suck it up because I have tattoos/piercings. They aren't the same to me at all. I know that sounds odd, but eh. 

I only had nausea which lasted a few days post shot. Round two is 5/8 so here's to seeing how that goes. 

I know plenty of people who have issues with needles and shots - and no one should ever be ridiculed for that.

Also, kudos to you for working through it and going through with this despite the issues!  That's awesome both for you and others.  I'm excited for you and Andy and hope this begins the process of many positive things to come for both of you!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, spacepup said:

I know plenty of people who have issues with needles and shots - and no one should ever be ridiculed for that.

Also, kudos to you for working through it and going through with this despite the issues!  That's awesome both for you and others.  I'm excited for you and Andy and hope this begins the process of many positive things to come for both of you!

Thank you thank you. It's up to us who can be vaccinated to help out those that can't be. 

Now if michigan could just get their shit together and behave it'd be even better. 

• Like 3

58 minutes ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

From my personal experience working in the health field, people with tattoos are more likely to have needle phobia regarding vaccinations. 😉

• Like 2

On 4/9/2021 at 11:55 PM, Tulpa said:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/georgia-becomes-third-state-to-shut-down-jandj-vaccine-site/ar-BB1furcd?li=BBnb7Kz

Johnson & Johnson's coronavirus vaccine is facing a double dose of problems. Georgia is the third state to temporarily shut down a vaccine site after eight people suffered adverse reactions to the shot. 

Earlier this week, 18 people in North Carolina reported side effects, while 11 people in Colorado reacted to the shot with symptoms ranging from dizziness, nausea and fainting. 

"This is a really potent vaccine, and what we're seeing is some of that potency relating at a very rare side effect that we just have to be aware of," said Dr. David Agus, a CBS News medical contributor. 

Looks like fainting isn't the crux of the matter for J&J.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/us/politics/johnson-johnson-vaccine-blood-clots-fda-cdc.html

Blood clots in 6 people out of 6.8 million so far. All in women between 24 - 48 which is the same demographics the AstraZenica vaccine saw blood clots in so there is word it may be a reaction to birth control. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

It's different I promise. 🙃🙃

Sorry, I didn’t mean to pin your faints purely on needle phobia, there are several other factors such as fear of seeing blood, general stress or low sugar levels.

My point about the association between having tattoos and vaccine needle phobia are from direct observations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MisterGoomba said:

Went to the Hollis, NH Flea opening day and it felt like red neck super spreader event. I think im done with that place for the season since people seem really ignorant about covid. Let's not social distance nor wear a mask and talk to each other real close like we are about to french kiss.

Good to know. Thanks for the heads up. I stopped going to Amherst Walmart for months until people started actually following covid rules and walmart finally instilled the mask policy.

2 hours ago, GPX said:

Sorry, I didn’t mean to pin your faints purely on needle phobia, there are several other factors such as fear of seeing blood, general stress or low sugar levels.

My point about the association between having tattoos and vaccine needle phobia are from direct observations.

Oh I wasn't mad. I know it's odd haha. I just poke fun at it now a days myself. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Looks like fainting isn't the crux of the matter for J&J.

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/13/us/politics/johnson-johnson-vaccine-blood-clots-fda-cdc.html

Blood clots in 6 people out of 6.8 million so far. All in women between 24 - 48 which is the same demographics the AstraZenica vaccine saw blood clots in so there is word it may be a reaction to birth control. 

What was the percentage with the AstraZenica vaccine? I mean 6 out of 6.8 million is quite a small percentage?

• Like 1

Administrator · Posted
10 hours ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

You didn't have any issues with your piercings?   Not having issues with tattoos makes sense since you don't really see the needle and it doesn't feel like one, but I would think a piercing would have about the same effect on you.   

Unless it's the pulling out of the needle that does it to you.  With my piercings they were all follow-through.

26 minutes ago, fcgamer said:

What was the percentage with the AstraZenica vaccine? I mean 6 out of 6.8 million is quite a small percentage?

About the same. It's basically 0 and there's no hard evidence of causation but they're looking into it.

Personally, I think it's an over reaction. Don't get the wrong, if one person dies it's an absolute tragedy but I would prefer the CDC / FDA just inform the public of the risk and that's currently at 6/6.8M and let them assess their own risk.

But who am I kidding? Daddy government would never let us assess our own individual risk v reward in order to make our own decisions.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

About the same. It's basically 0 and there's no hard evidence of causation but they're looking into it.

Personally, I think it's an over reaction. Don't get the wrong, if one person dies it's an absolute tragedy but I would prefer the CDC / FDA just inform the public of the risk and that's currently at 6/6.8M and let them assess their own risk.

But who am I kidding? Daddy government would never let us assess our own individual risk v reward in order to make our own decisions.

Well that's how I feel on the matter too.

Taiwan recently got some of the AstraZenica and a few people might have even gotten the jab, but the fear mongering and now everyone's basically not very keen to take it, which I find really silly. It's even more frustrating, as I'm at the very back of the pack, and I just want to get mine and be done.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

You didn't have any issues with your piercings?   Not having issues with tattoos makes sense since you don't really see the needle and it doesn't feel like one, but I would think a piercing would have about the same effect on you.   

Unless it's the pulling out of the needle that does it to you.  With my piercings they were all follow-through.

I've only ever passed out during one piercing And that was my septum. It was because she left me sitting with the needle in my nose for too long while she grabbed the jewelery to put in. I just get uncomfortable in medical settings more so than the parlor. 

As for the whole j&j issues, I just think it's mighty funny that suddenly it's an issue women are having issues with blood clots due to a shot.... however birth control itself can also cause these same issues and no one is up on roar about it. Ugh. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, fcgamer said:

Well that's how I feel on the matter too.

Taiwan recently got some of the AstraZenica and a few people might have even gotten the jab, but the fear mongering and now everyone's basically not very keen to take it, which I find really silly. It's even more frustrating, as I'm at the very back of the pack, and I just want to get mine and be done.

This is unfortunately the current era of social media that we live in. All it takes is a small sniff of fear and the scaremongering can spread like wildfire. The reality is that no vaccines will be free of adverse effects, and the other reality is that someone somewhere after having a vaccine, is likely to get a significant symptom sooner or later (from vaccine effects or from other conditions). 

It’s really all about the risk vs reward, rather than expecting full reward and zero risk. Everybody’s risk vs reward will be different, but for the majority, the benefits of vaccines will outweigh the risks.

• Like 2

Administrator · Posted
5 hours ago, SailorScoutMandy said:

I've only ever passed out during one piercing And that was my septum. It was because she left me sitting with the needle in my nose for too long while she grabbed the jewelery to put in. I just get uncomfortable in medical settings more so than the parlor. 

Seems like a septum piercing would be tingly anyway, even if you weren't already prone to passing out.

27 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Seems like a septum piercing would be tingly anyway, even if you weren't already prone to passing out.

Pain wise it's honestly not bad. Ears hurt more, the septum doesn't go through  cartilage, just the fleshy bit before it. On the other hand I'll never get my foot tattoo finished or my conch pierced again, those hurt like a mf. 

Screenshot-from-2021-04-18-18-00-32.png

https://www.insider.com/norway-top-covid-19-denier-dies-from-virus-after-hosting-house-parties-2021-4

A Norwegian conspiracy theorist, who believed COVID-19 was a hoax, has died from the virus just days after hosting two illegal gatherings at his property, according to officials.

Sometimes, I feel the Universe offers justice... sometimes.

• Like 1