IGNORED

The Spreading (And Potentially Deadly) Coronavirus Epidemic....

jonebone

14 minutes ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Exactly.  Pretty sure the approach for most companies is that if they're going to lose they make damn sure you're not going to "win".

Right. And the first few will be the hardest because the don't want to set a precedent.

The best chance will be for people to group together for class action law suits, but even then most employment contracts say you have to go to to mediation/arbitration.

Edited by Californication
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Californication said:

The main problem is suing people is expensive. If you sue the employee and win, they may not have any money to pay you. You have a better chance of suing the company, but even then it isn't always a great idea. My company has a half of a floor with lawyers that work full time. Even if a company is at fault they can ask questions like, how do you know you got covid at work? Or they can drag it out for such a long time that even if they pay you off the expense is terrible. 

It will be interesting to see what happens going forward because I am expecting to see a lot of court cases.

True, I’m looking at it from a nuclear option.

Afterall, your prospects with that company become bleak at best after you take hostile action against them.

But if I caught coronavirus and suffered a lifelong injury, extreme financial burden, or worst as a result of it, I’d be willing to burn that bridge.

Definitely wouldn’t sue if it was just exposure or shoddy management. Is just Express my concerns

• Like 1

3 hours ago, captmorgandrinker said:

Exactly.  Pretty sure the approach for most companies is that if they're going to lose they make damn sure you're not going to "win".

Curious where you got this from? I know big companies often try to drag things out, but this is in the case of huge lawsuits related to cases that are many millions if not billions of dollars. I have known people that have taken companies, even very large (billions of dollars) of companies to court, and they have always quickly settled out of court. If someone is suing a company for thousands of dollars, that is often not worth their time and resources if there is a decent chance they'll lose. I do realize in this situation we're likely talking hundreds of thousands to millions of dollars depending on the situation. However, if a company has someone who is knowingly sick still show up at work, as is the case with @Psychobear85, and someone gets sick/permanently disabled I think the company would likely be skewered in court. All that said, I really hope everyone stays healthy. It's unfortunate people are not taking this seriously and other people are paying the price for it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Psychobear85 said:

I don’t understand why some people cannot take this seriously, a few days ago a coworker or mine showed up to work knowing she was exposed to COVID was showing symptoms and took a test the previous day, while working with us they called her with the results which where positive and was refusing to leave, To make it worse our job decided not to quarantine us and told us to go back to work. 

I’m finding it hard to believe because I feel this story isn’t a very common occurrence. A few questions that come to mind:

- if the coworker has symptoms and bothered doing a Covid19 test, why would he/she insist on working once a positive result is found? Are they that keen to work?

- if someone in the workplace is known to have active Covid19, why wouldn’t the manager crack a fit and kick him/her out immediately to reduce Covid19 exposure? 

- no quarantine for the coworkers, and no mandatory Covid19 testing policy?

——————

From my working experience in the health sector, most companies are erring more on the side of caution and most people with flu-like symptoms are required for either Covid19 testing or a medical clearance from their doctor. This makes sense, because of possible ramifications of Covid19 spread among the workplace, employee deaths/morbidities, as well as huge potential profit loss if the company ends up closing due to too many sick employees!

18 minutes ago, Psychobear85 said:

We are trying to sort this out, we filed a complaint with our union. 

I'd also recommend doing a Covid19 test if you haven’t already done so. What is the work policy regarding someone who is Covid19 positive? Could it simply be due to an idiotic manager?

Just now, GPX said:

I'd also recommend doing a Covid19 test if you haven’t already done so. What is the work policy regarding someone who is Covid19 positive? Could it simply be due to an idiotic manager?

We get tested weekly at work, they have to get sent home, who ever the person was in contact had to go home and quarantined for 2 weeks and can’t come back until they bring back a negative result. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Psychobear85 said:

We get tested weekly at work, they have to get sent home, who ever the person was in contact had to go home and quarantined for 2 weeks and can’t come back until they bring back a negative result. 

So then why are you forced to work the next day? Seems to be an obvious breach of work policy.

Someone I live with has tested positive, and now I have a low grade fever and am having mild symptoms. Getting tested ASAP but I’m pretty sure I know the answer.

My mother has tested positive and my father is having symptoms. This has been my biggest fear from the beginning. I know no one necessarily is certain to die from this, but damn if I had a choice I’d rather be the one to die than it be my parents.

Just goes to show that you can do everything right but if someone else screws up, you’re screwed. Our selfishness is a paradise for this virus.

And yes, I know I’ve been a big proponent of masks and precautions, but here’s the thing: I have always worn my mask, however masks are for the benefit of OTHER people incase you’ve got the virus much more so than it is for yourself. And if both parties are wearing one, it decreases the possibility of transmission ever further. That’s why everyone is pushing for you to wear one. I know “for the benefit of others” is a concept likely lost on the type of person to not take this virus seriously, but I’m saying it anyway. Because I’ve already had one smartass make a comment about how I got the virus despite taking it seriously from the beginning. I’ve done my part, and unfortunately someone close to me did not.

• Sad 6

17 minutes ago, The Strangest said:

Someone I live with has tested positive, and now I have a low grade fever and am having mild symptoms. Getting tested ASAP but I’m pretty sure I know the answer.

My mother has tested positive and my father is having symptoms. This has been my biggest fear from the beginning. I know no one necessarily is certain to die from this, but damn if I had a choice I’d rather be the one to die than it be my parents.

Just goes to show that you can do everything right but if someone else screws up, you’re screwed. Our selfishness is a paradise for this virus.

And yes, I know I’ve been a big proponent of masks and precautions, but here’s the thing: I have always worn my mask, however masks are for the benefit of OTHER people incase you’ve got the virus much more so than it is for yourself. And if both parties are wearing one, it decreases the possibility of transmission ever further. That’s why everyone is pushing for you to wear one. I know “for the benefit of others” is a concept likely lost on the type of person to not take this virus seriously, but I’m saying it anyway. Because I’ve already had one smartass make a comment about how I got the virus despite taking it seriously from the beginning. I’ve done my part, and unfortunately someone close to me did not.

Sorry to hear this brother. I hope everything goes well for you and your family.

Like you said, it's all about lowering probability but improbable isn't impossible, unfortunately. I agree that masks are not a hill I think any one should die on and the virus doesn't discriminate.

I tell my students it's just like doing everything right on the road. You can still get hit by someone who is completely careless. And even if you have your seatbelt on, hands at 10&2 with your phone on silent, you'll still get hurt but someone driving recklessly if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, RegularGuyGamer said:

Sorry to hear this brother. I hope everything goes well for you and your family.

Like you said, it's all about lowering probability but improbable isn't impossible, unfortunately. I agree that masks are not a hill I think any one should die on and the virus doesn't discriminate.

I tell my students it's just like doing everything right on the road. You can still get hit by someone who is completely careless. And even if you have your seatbelt on, hands at 10&2 with your phone on silent, you'll still get hurt but someone driving recklessly if you're in the wrong place at the wrong time. 

Appreciate the well wishes. Yeah, I also use the car analogy quite often.

If I knew for certain my family would make it through, I could feel like absolute garbage the entire way but I’d be fine knowing that. That’s the biggest thing for me, is worrying about loved ones. I can handle aches, migraines, a bad cough, or whatever else it throws at me. I’d prefer not to have permanent lung damage as I run to stay in shape but I’ll take it over dying. I just want others to be okay. That’s what’s eating me.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, The Strangest said:

That’s what’s eating me.

You and me both.

The combination of my disability and what was done to me has put a major strain on my health. Which is why I have not been as stressed as others this year. And despite the fact two of my family members have contributed to this health risk, I'd do exactly what you are doing for your family. Even though it might mean not seeing my cat for a while.

In all cases here is to the hope everything will be great for you. And that you can still run like you used to. 🙂

• Like 3

10 hours ago, The Strangest said:

Appreciate the well wishes. Yeah, I also use the car analogy quite often.

If I knew for certain my family would make it through, I could feel like absolute garbage the entire way but I’d be fine knowing that. That’s the biggest thing for me, is worrying about loved ones. I can handle aches, migraines, a bad cough, or whatever else it throws at me. I’d prefer not to have permanent lung damage as I run to stay in shape but I’ll take it over dying. I just want others to be okay. That’s what’s eating me.

I definitely understand this sentiment. I live in Taiwan where things at the moment are comparatively "safe", but my brother, mother and father all live back in the States, all of whom have health problems. If we start looking at extended relatives, then it just gets even worse. The whole thing is a nightmare, and I'm of a similar mind process of prefering to take a bullet to assure my loved ones make it out unscathed.

I'm really sorry to hear about this. I really hope things ultimately end up turning out okay for you and your family.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, avatar! said:

@The Strangestbest wishes for a speedy recovery. Please take care as best you can! Wish there was something we could do.

I hear that a cart only copy of Little Samson helps... 😷

Lol I’m kidding but thank you all for the well wishes. My symptoms appear to get worse at night. I’ll feel fine during the day but the aches, nausea, and fever come back at night oddly enough.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The Strangest said:

I hear that a cart only copy of Little Samson helps... 😷

Lol I’m kidding but thank you all for the well wishes. My symptoms appear to get worse at night. I’ll feel fine during the day but the aches, nausea, and fever come back at night oddly enough.

Symtoms worsening at night is quite common, and the fact that during the day you’re doing ok usually means you have a more mild form of a viral illness.  The severe forms usually have symptoms which persist throughout the entire day. So fingers crossed you’ll pull through in the coming days. 💪

I don’t usually read the whole thread and may have missed it, but is it confirmed you have Covid19?

• Like 5

22 hours ago, GPX said:

I don’t usually read the whole thread and may have missed it, but is it confirmed you have Covid19?

All but confirmed. I live in a small space with a couple of people, and one of them tested positive. Then me and another roommate started having symptoms, the other roommate came back positive and I’m still waiting on my results.

• Like 1

Moderator · Posted
On 12/27/2020 at 1:41 PM, The Strangest said:

Thank you for the well wishes everyone. 

I’m feeling alright today minus some stomach issues but my symptoms usually get worse at night. My dad has a 102 fever and back pain, he’s the one I’m most worried about.

Couple things. Make sure you stay off of your back, especially when you sleep. I would also have your dad do breathing exercises, as that pain could be pneumonia starting to set in. Just Google deep breathing exercises. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Strangest said:

All but confirmed. I live in a small space with a couple of people, and one of them tested positive. Then me and another roommate started having symptoms, the other roommate came back positive and I’m still waiting on my results.

Please let us know of your results and more importantly if you’re progressing quickly to recovery. Another tip I would like to share with you and others is to not just rely on a positive or negative result as a prognosis.

Watch for symptom improvements, this is the key. You can still have a negative Covid19 test and still be at significant health risk for other lung infections eg. pneumonia, Tb. 

Conversely, a positive result isn’t the be all. As you may still have a mild form or your immune system is capable of defending the viral attack.

• Like 2

Well, my immediate family has now been exposed, since we spent some time with my sister and her family over the holiday and then she came down with a fever (103) the day after we last saw her and she and her husband then both tested positive on a rapid test that day.

So we're in quarantine for the moment - no symptoms yet (first contact with her was last Tuseday, last contact was Sunday) - and we all have rapid tests scheduled for the end of the day tomorrow (Thursday).

If any of us (2 adults, 2 kids) test positive, then we're basically all in quarantine for 2 weeks, at least, until we can all test negative again.

Other than the fever (which has responded to symptom-relief medication), my sister's symptoms have just been lethargy (nothing respiratory to speak of yet).

So hoping for the best.

• Like 1
  • Sad 5

Events Team · Posted

Looks like next year is fucked too.  Coming in hot from CO.  You're welcome. 

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/12/30/health/colorado-uk-coronavirus-variant/index.html

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/30/health/coronavirus-mutant-colorado.html

Edited by JamesRobot
  • Haha 1

Events Team · Posted
15 minutes ago, JamesRobot said:

As long as the vaccines can cover both strains, then we should still be fine. I haven't heard much in regards to that though, so I don't know if the vaccines will cover both or not.

• Like 2